Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnson motor

Johnson motor

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the johnson motor in the video below has carburetor?

It's a Johnson Ocean runner.

Found a model that matches the video for sale but haven't had a chance to go look.

Also where can I get a softcopy of the service manual?

Re: Johnson motor

ppppppppppppppppppp

Carbs v4
    what is it that your looking at ? 90 - 115 hp?

Same 1.7l engine in both hp stickers and brp still carry many parts for it

@stevej - It's a 115 hp motor

definatly carbed with a vro oil injection tank

as I said 1.7l so a grunty engine will burn fuel at wot but no worse then anything else o fthe age in 2 stroke
    70-90litres on a 5m cruiscraft would get me out to the fads off sydney and slow troll for 5-6 hours

Thanks. This looks to be a reliable engine. Checked with an experience marine mechanic and also saw postings in other forums.

The motor is on an engine stand at a dealer. It comes with 3 months warranty whatever that means. Will try to see if dealer can do compression and leak test when I go see it.

Dakr how much are they wanting for it? Shops are usually tighter than a can of corn so they dont like when u make them a offer

Anything over $3500 i would walk away

Warranty is good on asecond hand engine from a shop, if it grinades they'll likely refund u apposed to a suck it up butter cup gumtree private deal

As with anything second hand it may run for another 1000 hours or it may run untill 1 day out of warranty, i was always told as a mechanical kid growing up, its second hand if u solely base a purchase on reliability your better off buying brand new so in hearing that i learnt to fix my own engines instead

@gazza2006au They're asking $3,500. Motor prices have gone up and people have quoted 'covid tax'. I think also due to mining boom here in WA.

Under cowling looks clean. Tacho shows 224 hrs. However it's still a lot of money so will see if they can do tests when I'm there.

Is there a way to verify the VRO is working?

Motor is also on a stand in a dry area so not sure if it's possible to get an engine run test from these dealers....

Warranty is handy but quite a hassle since I live 45 mins away and not sure how well they are honoured....

3.5k is about right for that era engine in 115hp, 3.5k is alot of money and the covid tax has increasedby prices on the used market but i think thats an ok price from a shop that engine on gumtree would sell for about 2.5-2.7k in summer in mentioning summer it has to be the worse time of year to buy prices are up higher over winter, the demand is higher and the market thins out and u have to be quick on a purchase

The shop should run any test u ask them to do that they realistically can do, i dont think they will bolt it on for a "maybe purchase"

A couple of things, first off, if it's at a dealer, why is it just in a drum out on the grass? Who is revving it by manually using the throttle? unless it's running off a tank of premix fuel, the VRO is working as witnessed by the smoke, leave the VRO fitted (OMS on that model) regardless of any stories from "old timers" , remember it's a 19 year old, salt water motor, buying second hand is a lucky dip at best, buying from a dealer does help a bit because of warranty, is there any verifiable service records? don't believe any "it's just been serviced" talk unless there is proof.

Johnson motor

60 degree v-block. One of the most reliable carb'd 2 strokes OMC ever made. Just keep up with the basic maintenance, used good fuel and oil, etc. I have the 115 OceanPro (basically the same motor) on my 5m V-Sea and it runs like a dream.

What boat would you be putting it on.

$3500 with warranty IMO is a very good buy.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...del=J115SPLEES

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

It's going on a Chivers thunderbird. It's an 18.5 ft half cabin.

What's the recommended compression pressure on these motors out of the service manual? Can't find any free manuals on google.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    60 degree v-block. One of the most reliable carb'd 2 strokes OMC ever made. Just keep up with the basic maintenance, used good fuel and oil, etc. I have the 115 OceanPro (basically the same motor) on my 5m V-Sea and it runs like a dream.

What boat would you be putting it on.

$3500 with warranty IMO is a very good buy.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...del=J115SPLEES

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

You likely need to pay for workshop manuals there are web sites claimi g they sell the manuals but alot have virus

Ebay is the best place to get a manual usually the Australia ebay they must sell you a hard copy a physical item so it gets sent out on a CD disc

If u cant find the manual in Aus ebay look around the world USA, Canada, United Kingdom some of those countries u can buy a manual and the seller will e mail you a link to a download of your manual which will be valid for around 30 days, save a copy to your phone or laptop and u can use it beyound the 30 days

My 90 with a new battery and after a seafoam decarbon read 120psi average
    from memory lowest was 117 highest 122

170 hours on the motor always used with yamalube the xd50 when I bought it

Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    My 90 with a new battery and after a seafoam decarbon read 120psi average
    from memory lowest was 117 highest 122

170 hours on the motor always used with yamalube the xd50 when I bought it