Thread: Suzuki multifunction gauge.

Suzuki multifunction gauge.

Finally got around to installing this. Pulled the old tachometer and slotyed the gauge in. Have everything working as it should. Even have the trim gauge working on the dash and on the MFD (the Suzuki guy said it wouldn't).
    Anyway, I am trying to plug my fuel tank sender in as well. Can't get it to read.
    Suzuki guy said Red and blue cables off the wiring loom.
    Anyone have experience with this?
    My analog fuel gauge is working fine, but nothing on digital.......

Sent from my SM-G960F using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Suzuki multifunction gauge.

Does the multifunction gauge work Using nmea 2k from the engine?

Here is a link to the gauge installation manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2fa08g7nw...glish.pdf?dl=0

I dont think you will be able to run both analogue and digital fuel gauge at same time, the ohms will get messed up by piggybacking the wires.

Anyway hopefully the wiring diagrams in the manual will help you figure it out. You might need a miltimeter to test that the gauge sender unit is actually working too.

By the way, what year is your engine?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Here is a link to the gauge installation manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2fa08g7nw...glish.pdf?dl=0

I dont think you will be able to run both analogue and digital fuel gauge at same time, the ohms will get messed up by piggybacking the wires.

Anyway hopefully the wiring diagrams in the manual will help you figure it out. You might need a miltimeter to test that the gauge sender unit is actually working too.

Thanks mate. Yeah struggling to get it working still.
    Back to work for a month tomorrow, so gonna have another look when I get back.
    Everything else is running well, but yeah, pretty keen to get both gauges working if there's a way.

2016 from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Thanks mate. Yeah struggling to get it working still.
    Back to work for a month tomorrow, so gonna have another look when I get back.
    Everything else is running well, but yeah, pretty keen to get both gauges working if there's a way.

Hi gford

I had a replacement Suzuki MFG installed last year for my 2015 / 150HP outboard due to recurrent data corruption from the older guage harness. The Suzuki technician could / did not connect the digital trim or fuel guage at the time. I am still using the original Garmin GMI 20 guage for all NMEA 2000 engine data, mainly engine hours, fuel usage, voltage etc. and the MFG for the engine fault warning system. Cheers SS.

I know that it wont work with NMEA2000 tank senders attached to both analogue and the digital gauge. As I say, the senders work on ohms output as the float moves up and down and trying to run 2 gauges off one sender doesnt work.

Not really much point is there ? Just the same info presented different ways.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I know that it wont work with NMEA2000 tank senders attached to both analogue and the digital gauge. As I say, the senders work on ohms output as the float moves up and down and trying to run 2 gauges off one sender doesnt work.

Not really much point is there ? Just the same info presented different ways.
    Yeah struggling with it.
    I think I'm hoping that it gives me a kind of distance to empty type calculation.

If we are truly talking about the Suzuki MFG4 (its a square colour digital gauge with rounded corners as shown in the video linked below) then they have 2 separate ways of showing fuel info.

One is from the fuel tank sender, and it will only show up on the bar graph. Same as a analogue gauge that just moves the needle. Its is totally dependant on the float in the tank. You can set it up by inputting tank size and then calibrating by starting with an empty tank and then adding bit by bit and setting it at various levels as you go along. Or, you can just go with the standard calibration, its usually good enough. But thats never going to feed into distance to empty data etc.

If you want to show fuel level from the tank you are probably going to have to disconnect the analogue gauge and take the wires from the tank sender unit direct to the SMG4 harness.

The other fuel info this gauge gives you is a figure for fuel used. It will ONLY count upwards as fuel is used by the engine.

You can only reset the fuel used figure to zero when you fill up. That’s all. (Note the earlier Suzuki SMIS round digital gauge could give you fuel used, fuel remaining and allowed you to add fuel if you added some but didn’t fill up).

Here is a link to a really good video Suzuki put out back in 2015 when this gauge was released, tells you pretty well everything about it.

If you want trip fuel used then you would be able to get it on some MFD’s. For example I can get that on my Simrad GO7, you would have to have a NMEA2000 network and connect both the SMG4 and the Simrad to the network.

If we are truly talking about the Suzuki MFG4 (its a square colour digital gauge with rounded corners as shown in the video linked below) then they have 2 separate ways of showing fuel info.

One is from the fuel tank sender, and it will only show up on the bar graph. Same as a analogue gauge that just moves the needle. Its is totally dependant on the float in the tank. You can set it up by inputting tank size and then calibrating by starting with an empty tank and then adding bit by bit and setting it at various levels as you go along. Or, you can just go with the standard calibration, its usually good enough. But thats never going to feed into distance to empty data etc.

If you want to show fuel level from the tank you are probably going to have to disconnect the analogue gauge and take the wires from the tank sender unit direct to the SMG4 harness.

The other fuel info this gauge gives you is a figure for fuel used. It will ONLY count upwards as fuel is used by the engine.

You can only reset the fuel used figure to zero when you fill up. That’s all. (Note the earlier Suzuki SMIS round digital gauge could give you fuel used, fuel remaining and allowed you to add fuel if you added some but didn’t fill up).

Here is a link to a really good video Suzuki put out back in 2015 when this gauge was released, tells you pretty well everything about it.

If you want trip fuel used then you would be able to get it on some MFD’s. For example I can get that on my Simrad GO7, you would have to have a NMEA2000 network and connect both the SMG4 and the Simrad to the network.
    Thanks mate. Clears that up.
    Think I'll continue to run the analog gauge in my dash then and use the fuel used function as a backup.