Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! added diesel to my boat petrol tank

Help! added diesel to my boat petrol tank

I did something really stupid I topped up my 7m plate boat running twin Yamah 115 four stroke engines with 32L of diesel, before I realised the mistake I flushed each engine for 10 minutes (did not notice any difference in running of the engines).

The boat fuel tank is 400L capacity so the diesel content is around 8%. What should I do?

Will the 8% diesel mix impact the engines? Should I drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel or will a partial drain, 25%, 50% etc be enough? As diesel is heavier than petrol will it settle at the bottom of the tank so if I drain from the engine fuel lines will this remove the diesel.

Any advice Ausfish members can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
    TasFisher

Re: Help! added diesel to my boat petrol tank

ppppppppppppppppp

Siphon it out, use fresh fuel, use the diesel mix, diluted in your car, it won't take long to use it up. Way back in "the old days" when everyone thought we would run out of oil, and we has petrol rationing, most people would add a good amount of diesel to their petrol, but, that was old carby Holdens and Falcons, and they would run on anything....

What Noel said.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Just me i would siphon tanks, clean fuel lines, clean the external fuel filters and all fuel lines on the engine they have relief valves u can push to flush the diesel out

I would definatly avoid asking yamaha incase u need a warranty claim down the rode they'll hand u the rope...

Mower fuel for the next....forever.?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If you decide to dump the fuel, a local mechanic might take it, they might be able to use if for cleaning motor parts etc.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Ausfish mobile app
    Transire vinus forticulus

You're relying on those engines for your safety so I'd siphon it out. You might get away with using it in a car but personally I'd only use it in an older vehicle and probably split it 50/50 with 98 RON (or use an additive, if I had one I trusted) to bump the octane rating back up where it should be.

You'd want to make sure that the diesel was well and truly mixed with the petrol using it in a car still. A gulp of mostly diesel could hydrolock a cylinder or spit out unburnt fuel into the cat converter. I'd run it in my carby Sierra play toy but wouldn't put it in my daily.

Yep syphon it out, I reckon the first lot will be mostly diesel, after that should be just petrol but I would still find a way of getting rid of it. Once drained I would still add some more fuel fuel while at the same time draining it. Adding the fuel should agitate whats left, mix any diesel left snd drain it all. It's a real bugger but the cost of the fuel lost is probably the cheapest option. Getting rid of all that fuel is probably your biggest issue.

Diesel works really well for cleaning engine parts i cleaned some motor bike parts in a bucket of diesel with apaint brush and they came up like new

Mobile fuel rescue - m: 0410670778

Probably the easiest way I could think of draining a big fuel tank that's underfloor would be to attach a small sinker to some 8mm hose, raise the front of the trailer up high, drop the hose and sinker down the filler hole feed in enough hose so the sink drops to the lowest back side of the tank run hose down to the ground and siphon away

It might cost a fortune to have it done professionally

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Probably the easiest way I could think of draining a big fuel tank that's underfloor would be to attach a small sinker to some 8mm hose, raise the front of the trailer up high, drop the hose and sinker down the filler hole feed in enough hose so the sink drops to the lowest back side of the tank run hose down to the ground and siphon away

It might cost a fortune to have it done professionally
    Or disconnect the fuel hose from the filter add on an extra bit if plastic hose using a piece copper pipe or whatever fits and run it through your bung hole, and into containers. No lost sinker caught in the fuel tank to cause more issues.

@TasFisher Did you get this resolved?

Matt

The way I once drained my tank was with a hose feed through the bung then into the tank (removed the filler hose).

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums