Thread: Braided Dacron Line

Braided Dacron Line

Hi Guys
    I've inherited a heap of spools of braided dacron line in various weights from 10lb to 200lb.

So..is dacron an early version of our braid or an American thing. It is all American. I can tell you it is way stronger than some braid I use.
    I tied both types (50lb)to a fence and to a winch and the dacron was virtually unbreakable.
    It is thicker and more visible but heaps easier to tie and handle.
    So..... What is it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Peter

Sent from my DUB-LX2 using Tapatalk

Re: Braided Dacron Line

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hi Aussie9, Braided Dacron has been and is used for alot of reasons, it's super strong as you've found out but It's now mainly used as backing and filler on some of the big puppy reels.
    It works out a bit cheaper than braided, so spooling up with Dacron first on a reel, is cost effective.
    Over in the states, I have some friends that will troll with it, and just have a 100 meter top shot of mono, or deep dropping with it.
    It's of a larger diameter than most braids, so not a go too on the smaller reels and I do believe it does degrade over a period of time..
    That's all I know on it, I will be using it on an old school 9/0 I'm working on, as a filler with a top shot of 2-300 yards of mono, that combination in itself would give me 6-700 yards total, it would probably be 1500 Yards if I used braid....

Col
    Thanks Col.
    I could imagine the drag if you using it in a strong current. Even the 10lb stuff is fairly thick, but I think because it is waxed, gee it's nice to tie.
    Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my DUB-LX2 using Tapatalk

Mainly used to be used in trolling for plastics. Wouldn't mind a couple of metres of 200 lb just to make Assist Hooks for my jigs.
    Dacron is still sold in most tackle stores, even saw some in BCF last year.

A lot of good tackle shops used to sell it by the metre. I've bottom fished with it before poly braids became cost effective, used it for fly line backing and also for making wind on leaders.

Ausfish Platinum Member

As others have said, used to be the go-to for backing on game reels. You could just replace the mono each year, leave the backing. Beats throwing 1000m of line away. Still used by some, but the trend towards the smaller lighter reels for game fishing means that braid is now often preferred, due to the greater line capacity. The whole smaller. lighter thing was driven by the change in rules that allow you to use just 5 metres of pretest on top of your backing for fishing line class. Much nicer to use a Talica 25 than a Tiagra 50 ( I have both) and their line capacity, with braid underneath, is similar. Same goes for a Talica 50 vs a Tiagra 80. Most will run more than the 5 metre minimum, 100 metres of mono on top is pretty common, for the shock absorbing ability.
    My only use for Dacron nowadays is making wind-on leaders, for both deep-dropping and game use, but you can use hollow-core braid to do the same job, now.