Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surtees/Barcrusher

Re: Surtees/Barcrusher

////////////////////////

Surtees ride better, BC are finished way better. Surtees innovate, BC imitate (and sometimes improve - like the electric bar flap).

If you want a Surtees/BC with more beam and a self draining deck, you can now add Yellowfin to the list. Incredible that Telwater with all their resources still couldn't improve on a 20 year old folding hard top design.

The folding hardtop on the Barcrusher is a shit thing, no one would copy that.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Steve, I also had the opportunity to see them being tested out of the Whakatane harbour, that's where I did all my fishing for near 3 years.
    The bar there can be an absolute bitch at best, including all the small Bars littered up that coast towards Tauranga.
    But I saw the Surtees being tested on the bad days quite regularly out there, it's only a hop skip and jump for them from Kawerau.
    They sure did look impressive on the water.
    And I fully understand the Kiwi mentality with regards to ever buying a BarCrusher ...
    That would be a greater crime than the fabled underarm ....
    Which I thought was only a mis interpretation of the rules.....
    I actually wonder whether anyone has imported one to NZ, I'm picking it wouldn't be safe, especially Whakatane way..... LOL

Col
    My understanding is that BC cant be brought into NZ due to the legal/copyright issues that came out of legal action taken by Surtees.

Surtees of course had a model called the Barcrusher I think it was originally a 6.1 model.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I heard a gossip/whisper/rumour that there was a third party involved that split off from the Australian group and started building his own copy (the Telwater Yellowfin looks very much like a copy) no idea if there's any truth in that, but, it was doing the rounds a few years ago.

Just mulling over reality, how much can you change/modify/improve a V bottom boat until you are not copying something else? there is only so many combinations you can have, wide beam, narrow beam, deep V, shallow V, pointy bow, flat blunt bow, an aluminium boat is just that, some kind of copy of a years old design.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just mulling over reality, how much can you change/modify/improve a V bottom boat until you are not copying something else? there is only so many combinations you can have, wide beam, narrow beam, deep V, shallow V, pointy bow, flat blunt bow, an aluminium boat is just that, some kind of copy of a years old design.
    I think you might be right Noel.....there are very few original ideas left on a planet that currently houses 7.5 billion people...

Most things are just copies of something else maybe with a twist...

Even the 20 year old Supervee design with double reverse chines was just a reimagining of other previous hull designs to suit a trailerboat....this is how the design came about...

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...OaMPQNi8cGeSio

and as with such a design it created a fair bit more work and cost for the builder..for example the Supervee chine design means there are another 8 full hull length welds to complete compared to a boat with standard chines, which might be why we see so many similar boat designs..its just cheaper and less R&D involved to build a standard V hull based on another hull that seems to do the job without doing anything too fancy or innovative ..

I'm also with you on the BC folding hardtop....we originally looked at BC and Yellowfin and that ridiculous hardtop turned me off both...

////////////////////

The folding hardtop on the Barcrusher is a shit thing, no one would copy that.
    Been copied at least twice now. If you want to mount a radar, light bar etc or just want something rigid for deckies to hold onto, they're a winner.

Telwater Apex hulls. Big gamble for Quintrex, but stretch forming that shape has been one of the biggest innovations in alloy hull design in recent memory. Confusing to look at initially, but after riding in one I understand why people have been losing their shit over them, the ride is actually incredible for alloy and the internal space they've achieved vs LOA is like having a hull half a metre longer than it is.

Saw two big boats 5m plus with that apex hull fishing on the weekend
    two blokes on the front deck and the rear transducer pops out of the water as there is no hull underneath them well not enough to float them

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Saw two big boats 5m plus with that apex hull fishing on the weekend
    two blokes on the front deck and the rear transducer pops out of the water as there is no hull underneath them well not enough to float them
    Yeah read on the owners forum that the early builds of the lighter frontier models (510, 530) were particularly sensitive to weight distribution in the bow- as trolling motor battery trays were right up the pointy end, storage galore all the way forward and they ran relatively light 115hp class outboards - not a great combo given the hull shape. They've since revised the layout so that the batteries are now midship and they appear to have deleted one of the front storage bins in favour of additional flotation.

Our facility is just around the corner from Barcrusher, its very exciting to see the scale of their production on my home state of victoria.
    I love our kiwi friends, and they do build a pretty decent alloy boat over there. Disclaimer i work with Herley Boats in NZ. and the Dickies brand is tip top.
    We also have some pretty primo alloy builders here in australia

i think at the end of the day .BC vs Surtees....... is that there is a Lid for every pot

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au