Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overnight Anchoring - what to consider

Re: Overnight Anchoring - what to consider

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC90 View Post

What happened a couple of weeks back???
    IMG_20201014_222044.jpg

Not sure of the entire story but it was in a big blow.

You might be over thinking it a bit mate.... I been boat camping at Moreton for many years....not had an issue yet but yes it could happen (Most likely some dipshit loser - there are plenty about)

* I have a good anchor and more importantly 15M very good quality chain and braided anchor line - let the boat swing around the main anchor, having rear anchor is asking for trouble (Think swamped boat!). I wrap a towel around the rope to protect it from chafing
    * I make it look like someone on the boat as best I can, I choose a spot to sleep where I can watch the boat, doesn't make for a good nights sleep but if I hear a boat I wake up and watch what they doing, unlikely some grub will swim out at night from shore so its boat based dipshits you need to keep an eye on!
    * Anchor deep enough to make sure doesn't bang on the sand at the bottom of the tide
    * In the unlikely event something does go wrong - that's what insurance is for so relax and enjoy the experience!

My old boat, new boat has a cabin so normally sleep on the boat these days unless bumpy conditions.

Attachment 122396

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Anchor alarm on the GPS covers that these days.
    Have you found one that will alert you if you are camped on the beach? I was hopeful Garmin Active Captain bluetoothed/wifi etc to my phone would do it but apparently not.

I have used a two danforth rig in the past, but these days just run a single pick due to the limited size of the local anchorages. I fell out of love with danfoths in the Whitsudays due to coral chunks stuck in the flukes, but not something that would probably be an issue in Moreton Bay. I tried a 20 lb plough but found my old 5 m Cruise Craft could drag it all over the anchorage in 15 knots. Current rig on a 675 is a 6 kg Rocna with 6 m of chain for day use. Overnight another 10 m of chain gets added. I've gone away from silver rope to nylon. Nylon has a much greater breaking strain for the same dimensions. It also has a heap more stretch so helps avoid shock loads which might dislodge an anchor.

Last overnighter I anchored about 4.30 pm and nothing had budged by the time I went to bed so I was much happier than usual. I actually slept! I've also got two anchor lights so can see at a glance which boat in the anchorage is mine. Nothing ups the heart rate more than the few extra seconds it takes to find your boat in the dark during one of the many "piss and just check on the boat" efforts I seem to have!

Free Membership

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    IMG_20201014_222044.jpg

Not sure of the entire story but it was in a big blow.
    Didn't hear about this, doesn't look like a good outcome though. I wonder if it got caught up in the wrecks to some extend initially...

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    You might be over thinking it a bit mate.... I been boat camping at Moreton for many years....not had an issue yet but yes it could happen (Most likely some dipshit loser - there are plenty about)

* I have a good anchor and more importantly 15M very good quality chain and braided anchor line - let the boat swing around the main anchor, having rear anchor is asking for trouble (Think swamped boat!). I wrap a towel around the rope to protect it from chafing
    * I make it look like someone on the boat as best I can, I choose a spot to sleep where I can watch the boat, doesn't make for a good nights sleep but if I hear a boat I wake up and watch what they doing, unlikely some grub will swim out at night from shore so its boat based dipshits you need to keep an eye on!
    * Anchor deep enough to make sure doesn't bang on the sand at the bottom of the tide
    * In the unlikely event something does go wrong - that's what insurance is for so relax and enjoy the experience!

My old boat, new boat has a cabin so normally sleep on the boat these days unless bumpy conditions.

Attachment 122396
    I can't see your attachment but good input thanks, nice to hear from someone who's done much the same as I want to. If you're only running the bow anchor, do you ever find the wind is strong enough to swing the boat around so the stern is facing westish (i.e. into the waves, which always seem to be somewhere from southwest to northwest)? I'm struggling to see how having a loose line from stern to beach wouldn't always result in the stern facing towards to the beach, and therefore away from the waves? Keen to hear thoughts on this.

I like your last point too. Not like it's a 100k boat on the line and it is insured for pretty close to what it'd cost to replace I think...

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Have you found one that will alert you if you are camped on the beach? I was hopeful Garmin Active Captain bluetoothed/wifi etc to my phone would do it but apparently not.
    Agree, there seem a simple or cost effective option to remotely monitor the boats position. The best I could come up with with leaving a phone on the boat with tracking app.

I think I now know what overthinking something means and what it looks like....................
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post

Nothing that I know of or have used as I stay onboard. Something like a anti theft tracking module that can be set up to report to your mobile may work - as an example - https://www.aquamaremarine.com/au/pr...acht-outboard/ - I know nothing about it but it does say it can be geofenced so that if the boat moves outside a certain boundary it alarms. Not sure what is involved in setting it though.

Only other option would be a LOUD external alarm but you will annoy everyone then

Free Membership

Ended up having a successful adventure with pretty kind conditions. I bought a new 10lb anchor kit from BCF and a 13lb anchor (kits only went to 10lb). Turned out the boat actually only had an 8lb on the bow and 4lb for the stern (just what came with boat, been working fine so never checked) For day use I'll use the 10lb and 8lb combo in the future.

With the 13lb danforth up front on 4m of chain, the boat was going nowhere. It was actually a real battle trying to pull the thing out of the sand from right above, took a minute or so of constant pressure to break it out after a night digging in. When being pulled horizontal I suspect something else would break before the anchor pulled...

As there were few other boats around, I was able to use just the bow anchor and 15m or so of rode in 2-4m water. I did end up having the 'issue' that I was concerned about when using a single anchor, where the easterly wind was swinging the boat around such that the stern was facing into the waves. The waves were never more than 0.5m so it wasn't a problem in those conditions but potentially could be if it were a bit rougher...

You could add a rope from the front of your anchor that is just long enough to hold a foam float that remains more or less above the anchor.

Much easier to simply retrieve the float and rope and lift the anchor that way if it digs in "too well" I don't think an anchor can really be dug in too well, that's what they are supposed to do after all.

Still find the endless line is the safest and best set up and the only place for the second anchor is on shore so the boat can swing and face the weather and tides.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC90 View Post
    With the 13lb danforth up front on 4m of chain, the boat was going nowhere. It was actually a real battle trying to pull the thing out of the sand from right above, took a minute or so of constant pressure to break it out after a night digging in. When being pulled horizontal I suspect something else would break before the anchor pulled...

When this happens, idle up on your anchor until the line is vertical and then use wave action and the boats own buoyancy by taking a wrap around your cleat and then shortening up as the boat moves down in the chop. The other option if there is insufficient wave action is to use the boats engine and drive the anchor out of the bottom but this needs to be done carefully and only tethered from the bow.