Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downes Marine

Downes Marine

Anyone know what happened to Downes Marine in Brisbane? He was the Evinrude guru. Who else can people recommend for servicing Evinrude engines in Brisbane south east?

Thanks

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Downes Marine

Hey mate, he closed the shop late last year I believe. I was told he had a falling out with the new management at Evinrude after they demanded he push new engine sales up. I don’t know if this is true, maybe someone else knows more.
    Matilda

I have heard good things about Marine Care

https://marinecareqld.com/

Not from around there but I did hear he closed shop some time ago, not many Evinrude experts left now, the one near me swapped brands a while ago.

PM sent ......
    What could go wrong.......................

What a shame I think he was third generation running that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey mate, he closed the shop late last year I believe. I was told he had a falling out with the new management at Evinrude after they demanded he push new engine sales up. I don’t know if this is true, maybe someone else knows more.

Can a manufacturer push a dealer around in a way to make the dealer make more sales? That is really bad business if its the case

Surely old mate the dealer would want as much business as possible for his own wealth

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Can a manufacturer push a dealer around in a way to make the dealer make more sales? That is really bad business if its the case

Surely old mate the dealer would want as much business as possible for his own wealth

Nothing stopping them from applying the heat for more sales.....not too good for partnersip health though.

All defunct now that BRP Group has ditched them completely though.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

Sure can particularly if said business is sharing its floorspace with a competing manufacturer and one feels there brand is not getting the attention it deserves

Then consider the $$$$$ in it for the manufacturer to initially set up another dealer in the area. Happens all the time. I knew a bloke once who had a brand taken from him and was given to another business a block away. Old mate stopped pushing the brand and waited til the new dealership had its very first weekend sale with the new brand and old mate absolutely gutsed the price of his remaining stock. Needless to say the manufacturer and new dealer were very livid.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Thats a pretty shit go i reckon a dealer is the foundation for a manufacturer they are the sales guys dealing with the customer who buys the product

I never heard of any of this before quiet taking back

I understand the manufacturer invest a lot of money to advertise but really its the sales bloke signing off the deal with the customer

I took my boat to Downes marine numerous times over the last 5 or 6 years and I wouldn’t describe him as a dealer? He really just came across as a service centre. He was definitely pro Evinrude and Johnson but didn’t have your classic dealer like shop full of the latest outboards on display. Anyway, might be time to upgrade to a Yammy 4 stroke.....

It's a pretty common business model, let's say you sell 20 motors a year, the manufacturer will make a target of 25 next year, with an incentive if it's achieved, then the following year, it's 30 motors, with another bonus, but, now it comes with conditions attached, if he doesn't sell the 30, he may face a penalty, not an outright monetary thing, but a not so good price or finance time frame, and so it goes.

Manufacturers think it is a "privilege" to be allowed to hawk their gear regardless of it's quality.
    Their view soon gets rearranged when they struggle to find dealers to flog their shit through.
    Dealers think they hold the power but they are just middle men flogging someone elses shit with the privilege of marking up the product hugely and lying to their clients that they are not making any money with the sale.
    Jack.

I can assure you, there is not a heap of money made selling boats and motors, service and accessories are OK profit wise

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Manufacturers think it is a "privilege" to be allowed to hawk their gear regardless of it's quality.
    Their view soon gets rearranged when they struggle to find dealers to flog their shit through.
    Dealers think they hold the power but they are just middle men flogging someone elses shit with the privilege of marking up the product hugely and lying to their clients that they are not making any money with the sale.
    Downsy was different. When I spoke to him he encouraged me to pursue a different course of purchase as he knew he would never be price competitive against the big players around the place. He did sell the odd motor to a loyal band of followers but he was entirely busy enough (too busy really - usually about a six week wait to get your rig in) simply providing a quality service and repair facility. I can well imagine BRP trying to apply pressure by forcing a sales quota and him basically telling them to turn around and walk away. I'm not sure on the ultimate reason for the shut down but there had been whispers around for a long time that he was ready to give it away.