Thread: A couple of sunny summer days on the GBR

A couple of sunny summer days on the GBR

With 150 hours on the new boat over the past year its been a nice change now that the missus has become my fishing buddy...kids have left home, boat is much more comfy then the last one and I'm happy to sacrifice fishing time to explore the reef and islands a bit more so she can get in the water a bit as well..

With a decent forecast we headed out of Mission Beach on thursday for an overnighter with Marelle, our helper all the way from Colorado ..she had just spent 3 days solo hiking the 32km Thorsborne trail on Hinchinbrook island and has now spent the past couple of weeks staying with us helping out in the garden with some weeding, propogating and mulching and eating lots of fish and home grown vege's and eggs..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2021.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	122821

It was a bit of a dream of hers to see the Reef so we were happy to oblige...

The missus always loves to get in the water with a tank on or just a snorkel she is always up for a dive...

Name:	Freediver ann (2).jpg 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	122827

Marelle was also happy to jump on the gaff to land a few spanish mackeral, Longtail Tuna and Sharky mackeral...not to shabby for a girl from the Rocky mountains of inland USA...

She even caught a sharky of her own...

Name:	Marelle sharky.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	122822

The missus ripped into a few but both girls had a hard time beating the hungry sharks..

Name:	Ann hooked up..jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	122823

Name:	IMG_2037.jpg 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	122824

We did manage to land a couple of good sized Spanish and a couple a bit smaller...

Name:	IMG_2034 (2).jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	122825

With a full esky the trip home on friday was glassy with Marelle as the willing skipper..

Name:	marelle driving.jpg 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	122826

Thanks girls..I had a great trip..great food, a few beers , plenty of fish, some nice snorkelling and good company...along with sushi, sashimi and cerviche for lunch today it just doesn't get much better...

A couple of sunny summer days on the GBR

Well done Disorderly & Ladies

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Re: A couple of sunny summer days on the GBR

Living the dream right there Mate
    Good on you and the ladies.
    Thanks for the post.
    Shawn

Re: A couple of sunny summer days on the GBR

Cheers guys...I feel pretty blessed and just a little bit spoilt..

I doubt there is a much better place to live on the east coast then FNQ for a boatie..

The missus spent a good while the day before preparing the clothing, bedding, dive gear and delicious tucker (her slow cooked pulled pork pies were just divine )that could be reheated in the Travel Buddy and both ladies also helped with the cleanup.....I basically just flushed the motor, hosed the trailer and had a few beers whilst cleaning fish and the ladies did the boat washdown and cleanup.....

Its certainly a nice change from the old days of more rugged blokey fishing trips.... or maybe I'm just getting old and soft..