Thread: 4x4 engine mods

4x4 engine mods

How many kms on a diesel engine would anyone not do 4x4 engine mods like bigger intercooler ,chip tune ,exhaust, what the best kms to buy a second hand 4x4 and do mods.

Re: 4x4 engine mods

I just went past one in a massive down pour and there was a ute next to us turbo diesel not sure weather it was a narvara or a hilux possibly a rodeo was white oldish model had a nice whistle and it sounded like a truck

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Chris, bit hard to give an informed opinion, which is all we can offer without some details. Motor - diesel / petrol / km's on the motor/ motor history - like tow vehicle / 6 cyl or 4cyl, daily driver, 4wd bush bashed? and service history.
    For starts, you can have the best motor that will be better with mods in good condition but waste money if it is flogged. Or a motor that may not appreciate being played with.
    My best advice would be to ask a "good" mechanic not a bunch of fishing dudes, and that is said in the best interests of you and your wallet no disrespect to others here who know more about motors than I do.
    I have seen many upgraded cars do well with mods so don't rule it out, supply the info and see how we can help if we can, but never take internet info as gospel
    Cheers
    Muz
    Last edited by Muzza; 09-08-2020 at 01:40 AM. Reason: more info

my old friend had a 100 series cruiser (hz engine non turbo ) and he spent in excess of 10k for a bolt on turbo, exaust, some other things but he didnt notice much improvement maybe 10-15 percent if i remember correctly, the cruisers are a heavy unit allready but the same mods on a say navara might be more better, his cruiser had just over 250 k on it ..

just to add , on my v8 jeep i took off the standard exaust and replaced it with a (sports exaust) brand unkown and wasnt too impressed , so only couple months later replaced that with a (flowmaster super 44) and WOW big difference in sound and drive performance so this simple mod was very noticeable and happy

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
    Chris, bit hard to give an informed opinion, which is all we can offer without some details. Motor - diesel / petrol / km's on the motor/ motor history - like tow vehicle / 6 cyl or 4cyl, daily driver, 4wd bush bashed? and service history.
    For starts, you can have the best motor that will be better with mods in good condition but waste money if it is flogged. Or a motor that may not appreciate being played with.
    My best advice would be to ask a "good" mechanic not a bunch of fishing dudes, and that is said in the best interests of you and your wallet no disrespect to others here who know more about motors than I do.
    I have seen many upgraded cars do well with mods so don't rule it out, supply the info and see how we can help if we can, but never take internet info as gospel
    Cheers
    Muz
    Hi Muzza was looking at a better tow car every day drive car -4x4 to launch my boat in some hard to launch areas and have been looking at a v6 diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee and saw a mob doing a 3 pack upgrade and just wondered what would be to many kms to take advantage of the modification outlay ,I no everyone hate them but they have the torque and are economical for every day drive and for towing my boat which is under a ton and a wagon to pack all the camping gear in it should not be over loaded and economical, all the grey nomads use them for there vans, don't want a ute or 4door and tray

Some times theres some good advice here you can only ask and see what advice is given and yer theres info overload on the net.

Have a look at an older Isuzu or an early Colorado or rodeo , they have one of the best turbo diesels on the market mate , no timing belt as such and way reliable mate . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yer Matt my brother bought a mux because of the motor being a truck diesel block ,theres no timing belts in the VM A630 v6 diesel there chain for the money you can get a Cherokee with far less kms on the clock, that a coli or issuzu ,ive looked at everything in a wagon the challenger disco pathfinder Pajero ,no matter what the year there all around the same price just different kms even Hyundai 4x4 there all the same price for the year thats what got me researching the Grand Cherokee ,the 2012 jgc diesel has 550nm standard all the others have around 450nm ,i have not heard of to many 4x4 towing a 25ft van over the Gibbing river road with ease and live to tell the story, ive spoken to a lady in a car park and she loves the her jeep her and her husband did the Gibb river road over to Derby and down the bottom then to tasmainia and home to Brisbane again and that was a second hand jeep, a lot of issues with the jeeps are other models and thats given the brand a bad name theres a lot of bad jeeps in the states some are made in Austria not American ,when you read the feed back theres a bit of bad stuff and then there a lot more good than bad when you look into it, just like Etces some have had lots of problems and lots have had none.

Like anything if its served reguarly there ok and a lot of the grey nomad owners service them religiously and all the recalls have been done by now on older models.

I had a 2012 Grand Cherokee, and thats why I now have my second Ranger. The Jeep was great for towing the boat (580 Formosa) until it spat the transmission all over the highway with only 35,000km on the clock. Took 5 months of arguing to get a replacement under warranty on a 2 year old car, and then developed serious transmission issues at 45,000km. Now I have a Ranger. Never again.

Yer Walfish there's some horror stories out the and there's a few stories with a few brands I've heard of a few ranger diesels blowing up too add nissan to that list and there's a few unhappy Hilux owners out there too these days as well.

Chris, I currently run a 2004 WJ Jeep, has the HO V8, only 170,000km's on it, tow a bit with it and never had an issue, but I think Jeep changed a lot of things after the WJ/WG(same car) and things slipped a bit. Quality control and service is something they are spending some big bucks on at the moment. Mine has enough power and 3 tonne tow rating so will never touch the motor, but has got exhaust system on it. Mine also has the quadra drive 4wd system which seems to work great so far and also the older style ladder chassis which avoids the chassis issues they had in later models. Service regularly(actually in tomorrow for oil / filters and tyre rotation) and every other service I do diff and transfer case. Temp stays steady if towing or not. I knew the bloke and history of the car that I bought it off, so was pretty confident going in and at 6 grand happy as with it. Few small issues but nothing major, a service guy broke a rear window actuator, fixed myself and I get a damp drivers side floor occasionally, think it is either sunroof drain split in A pillar or A/C duct thru the firewall not seated or cracked but not enough to get fixed at moment. Like a lot of cars , boats and motors, some great ones, some models that should never have been made and the lemon amongst em all, and the ones that have just been treated badly. Wish you well in your search to get a good one whatever brand you go.
    Cheers
    Muz

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Yer Matt my brother bought a mux because of the motor being a truck diesel block ,theres no timing belts in the VM A630 v6 diesel there chain for the money you can get a Cherokee with far less kms on the clock, that a coli or issuzu ,ive looked at everything in a wagon the challenger disco pathfinder Pajero ,no matter what the year there all around the same price just different kms even Hyundai 4x4 there all the same price for the year thats what got me researching the Grand Cherokee ,the 2012 jgc diesel has 550nm standard all the others have around 450nm ,i have not heard of to many 4x4 towing a 25ft van over the Gibbing river road with ease and live to tell the story, ive spoken to a lady in a car park and she loves the her jeep her and her husband did the Gibb river road over to Derby and down the bottom then to tasmainia and home to Brisbane again and that was a second hand jeep, a lot of issues with the jeeps are other models and thats given the brand a bad name theres a lot of bad jeeps in the states some are made in Austria not American ,when you read the feed back theres a bit of bad stuff and then there a lot more good than bad when you look into it, just like Etces some have had lots of problems and lots have had none.

Like anything if its served reguarly there ok and a lot of the grey nomad owners service them religiously and all the recalls have been done by now on older models.
    Jeep .jpg

The 2012 Jeep GC V6 Overlander was quite simply the best tow vehicle & all round daily drive that I have owned - Economical & yet with awesome acceleration - Extremely comfortable …. towed beautifully. This is the pick of the GC crop ( 2012 /13) Chrysler Jeep pulled out all stops to revive the fortunes of the brand - well designed / great motor & gear box …. well built . It didn't last long as the Gen 2 started to show signs of Jeep falling back into their old habits.
    For clarity ….. it's a wonderful tow vehicle & road car - but it's lightly built nothing like say a Prado . I went from a top of the tree Prado to a top of the tree GC ….. The Prado was the better vehicle off road & would be the one I would trust off the bitumen .
    The GC was something to behold on the highway & had some awesome technology.
    The GC V6 diesel doesn't need to be touched …… it's already an exceptional motor & gearbox marriage .

Sadly - Chrysler Jeep are not exactly the best car company to deal with in Australia …… & despite my love of my old GC - I wouldn't risk going again.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

they do look good that model jeep, nice and phat , just like the sailfish

All the jeeps look good imo even the older models i have heard some of the v8's and there sound leaves a commodore/ford for shit not sure why maybe a higher car so it can run a thicker exhaust possibly

My car is absolutely quiet u only get the tiniest bit of v8 rumble in the cabin it just sounds like a 6 cylinder taxi lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app