Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everkool fridge drawer

Re: Everkool fridge drawer

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    The next test will be how noisy is it to sleep next to?

Cheers Matt
    That's true Matt

When I started it the first time that's exactly what I thought .
    There is no hum or vibration (unlike my Engel) just a fan when it's running ....
    I just turned my Sirocco fan onto high & I can hear the fan over the fridge when the fridge is running ...... so I dont think it's going to be too bad .
    I dont recall having an issue with the Waeco .

It does put out a bit of heat though

I guess I'll know in the next few weeks when I do a trip up to port Stephens

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Looks great...and now you can start up a Pie van...

Is it as big as it looks in the photo's..?..I do like the idea of the drawer but thought the footprint might be too big for the capacity..but it also looks to make the fridge space more usuable...

However we just ordered one of these because it will be able to slide under my passenger seat in the boat once I remove the seatbox and bend up some aluminium tube for the seatbase to sit on.....Attachment 122404
    59W x 84 D x 33 H

For me the width was good & because the compressor sticks out the back further on the RHS it left the perfect space at the back LHS for where the battery is located ....... which is brilliant . I've still retained a width of 90cm for my mattress . DSC_4376.jpg

I would have had to relocate the battery if I went with a drop down fridge slide .

so it's worked out pretty good .

It's a shame but they released a double stacked one (2 x 40lt compartments / 2 drawers ) only 1 can be used as a freezer or both as a fridge ..... by the measurements it would have fitted under the pie oven That would have been awesome.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, any reason you didnt consider a normal 2 or 3 way fridge..?

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/...dge-freez-acdc

So nearly 3 years down the track & I can say I have a love hate relationship with this fridge

When it is working - it's great ....... keeps stuff cold (even in a hot canopy) I can freeze with it (-18 deg C) & the power usage is quite low. @ 40lt its bigger than anything from Engel or Kings which are only 30lts (too small IMO)

But with all of that - it is so unreliable ..... It's now broken down for the 4th time.

The first couple of times - it came down to poor connections & was fixed while I waited (FOC)

Then the fan went & I replaced it with a fan that I bought from Jaycar

Now it's broken down again ...... which I believe is the same failure as the first couple of times (connections)

Anyhow - I've just ordered a replacement fan from Evakool so when I remove the fridge from the car I will refit the proper fan & check those connections.

So there you have it ......... For all the good - it's just unreliable & I would not buy another - certainly not for the $1100 that they want for them .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

We run the Engel version of this, albeit 30l but that was perfect for us as it was used as a freezer only (got a 40 on a drop slide). Unfortunately, it lasted until it was about 2 months out of warranty and died. Tried to get it fixed, but it was a compressor issue, and the compressor used in the draw fridge is different than other Engels and unable to be fixed.
    I'm looking for another version now, I miss the draw. As a freezer, it was perfect for freezing fillets as they lay nice and flat, and was great for making ice. I wasn't keen that it was 12v only, but the camper set up made that easy to live with. I loved that the compressor side could be mounted anywhere, it wasn't attached to the unit.
    I'm yet to find the right one to replace it with, at least now I've seen some feedback on the Everkool version.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    We run the Engel version of this, albeit 30l but that was perfect for us as it was used as a freezer only (got a 40 on a drop slide). Unfortunately, it lasted until it was about 2 months out of warranty and died. Tried to get it fixed, but it was a compressor issue, and the compressor used in the draw fridge is different than other Engels and unable to be fixed.
    I'm looking for another version now, I miss the draw. As a freezer, it was perfect for freezing fillets as they lay nice and flat, and was great for making ice. I wasn't keen that it was 12v only, but the camper set up made that easy to live with. I loved that the compressor side could be mounted anywhere, it wasn't attached to the unit.
    I'm yet to find the right one to replace it with, at least now I've seen some feedback on the Everkool version.
    My fan arrived yesterday & I installed it ...... still doesn't work after checking all the wiring .

I'll drop it over the the 12 volt fridge guy (Liverpool refrigeration ?) in the next couple of days for a look .

Yeh mate - I too like the fridge drawer concepts - very easy access (good capacity 40lt) - user friendly storage ....... & my pie oven fits above it - just wished it was reliable.

Chris

PS - my fridge guy did say that Evakool fridges were problematic ( I saw a few being repaired in his shop)
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    My fan arrived yesterday & I installed it ...... still doesn't work after checking all the wiring .

I'll drop it over the the 12 volt fridge guy (Liverpool refrigeration ?) in the next couple of days for a look .

Yeh mate - I too like the fridge drawer concepts - very easy access (good capacity 40lt) - user friendly storage ....... & my pie oven fits above it - just wished it was reliable.

Chris

PS - my fridge guy did say that Evakool fridges were problematic ( I saw a few being repaired in his shop)
    was that all Evakool types or mainly the drawer types?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    was that all Evakool types or mainly the drawer types?
    No - mine was the only Fridge drawer there ..... both times I went there

But I did see a couple of the steel cabinet ones , a plastic one & upright ....... & all of them looked quite new

I'll be interested to see what they have there now

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Called into Liverpool refrigeration to drop off my Evakool

This time there were 6 Evakools being repaired (incl mine) , 6 Dometics (2 still in the boxes) , 1 Kickass

At least my one will be fixed under warranty - 3 major components are cactus

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Called into Liverpool refrigeration to drop off my Evakool

This time there were 6 Evakools being repaired (incl mine) , 6 Dometics (2 still in the boxes) , 1 Kickass

At least my one will be fixed under warranty - 3 major components are cactus

Chris
    It all turned to crap when they stopped manufacturing them in Australia and went to Malaysia
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    It all turned to crap when they stopped manufacturing them in Australia and went to Malaysia
    I think you will find that these days Evakool fridges are assembled in Qld

The other thing is regardless of where it is assembled - it's the design of the unit & the quality of the components used .

In my case it was the failure of the fan that has caused 2 other components (incl compressor motherboard) to also fail.

that's one of the cool (excuse the pun) things about my guy - he stripped / tested & swapped out various components while I was there .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

A couple of photos

Fridge repairs 1.jpg Fridge repairs 2.jpg

Just in case you are wondering what brands you shouldn't buy

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think you will find that these days Evakool fridges are assembled in Qld

The other thing is regardless of where it is assembled - it's the design of the unit & the quality of the components used .

In my case it was the failure of the fan that has caused 2 other components (incl compressor motherboard) to also fail.

that's one of the cool (excuse the pun) things about my guy - he stripped / tested & swapped out various components while I was there .

Chris
    I live only a couple of blocks away from the factory in Caloundra, i got to go there and talk to the staff when I was hunting for eskies and fridge freezers. The drawer fridge was one when it first came out I was told by one of the workers that in the short time they'd had them there was a high return for repairs so I stayed clear. As to where they're made, that's another issue, I believe their fibreglass fridge is still assembled there but virtually every other model is imported.

Edit: They do a lot of rebranding. On another note I bought a cheap Brass Monkey for the shed and it has outperformed other brands. Don't know how it would go on the road, so to speak.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I live only a couple of blocks away from the factory in Caloundra, i got to go there and talk to the staff when I was hunting for eskies and fridge freezers. The drawer fridge was one when it first came out I was told by one of the workers that in the short time they'd had them there was a high return for repairs so I stayed clear. As to where they're made, that's another issue, I believe their fibreglass fridge is still assembled there but virtually every other model is imported.

Edit: They do a lot of rebranding. On another note I bought a cheap Brass Monkey for the shed and it has outperformed other brands. Don't know how it would go on the road, so to speak.
    Mine was the second generation of their fridge drawer - I actually pre ordered mine . At the time there was very little negative press about the drawer fridge & because it was 40lt vs 30lts for the Engel - I took a leap of faith ....... wrong move . If it dies again over the next 9 months - I'll look elsewhere.

According to Evakools website - it looks like their whole 12 volt fridge lines are assembled in Qld

The Glacier Xtreme is the ultimate companion for your family camping trips and adventures. Constructed from a heavy duty metal cabinet, this modern fridge has dual zone functionality which means you can run it as a fridge and freezer at the same time. It features a sleek, satin black finish and has a generous 80L capacity.
    Plus, this model is assembled and commissioned locally in Australia at EvaKool’s HQ on the Sunshine Coast in QLD.

Platinum Drawer Fridge Freezer

In a league of it's own, the fan-favourite 40L Platinum Drawer Fridge Freezer is now proudly assembled and commissioned locally at EvaKool's HQ on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. With a whopping 48 can capacity, this drawer is a great alternative to an upright or chest style fridge freezer!

Down Under Portable Fridge Freezers

Taking the world by storm, the legendary Down Under Portable Fridge Freezer Series is an epic piece of 12V gear. Running down our production lines at the EvaKool HQ in Queensland, this series is built tough to last and take your family on adventures around Aus for years to come.

Platinum Upright Fridge Freezers

Stylish, modern and reliable. The Platinum Upright Fridge Freezer Series now features a low ambient heater, ensuring effective operation even in cooler climates. Now running down the assembly and commission production lines at the EvaKool HQ in Queensland.

As for your brass monkey - my fridge guy 18 months or so ago said he was surprised at how good they were - specially for the price paid .

On another other note ......... I was speaking to my fridge guys partner - while he was working on the fridge ....... She has been working with National Luna for 20 years & she said that she had seen only 1 unit returned for repair .......... I felt kind of chuffed & told her that I bought one on the recommendation of her partner.

The other thing of note was the lack of Engel fridges in the work shop ....... In 3 trips there over the last 18 months - I've seen 1 (from memory) ....... sometimes it's about what you dont see . Reminds me of a visit to a boatyard back in 2006 & seeing a whole row of ETECs with their powerheads removed ....... didn't buy an ETEC - Guess which fridges I wont buy again ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nagg, next time you’re in there can you ask them what the issue is with the Dometics? Are they the newer CFX range?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.