Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Island Point.. July 2020

Re: Double Island Point.. July 2020

Yeah thats crazy I did not know this rule and made a mistake. Funny thing is no one else on board realised the mistake nor my fishing friends on FB. I've removed the photos as I don't condone breaking the rules and was a genuine mistake due to not keeping up with the rules. My mistake.

It still happens a lot I saw a post on one of the Hervey Bay fishing pages one guy had 3 fish over 70 between two of them, that post disappeared pretty quick. I was talking to an old guy once had only just got his first boat, I asked him if he caught anything he said yeah heaps and when he lifted the lid I would say all 20 odd fish were way under sized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No photos from me, we all know what XOS Parrot, Hussar, Cod etc etc look like,

So I'll throw up some random stuff. ><>

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    Yeah thats crazy I did not know this rule and made a mistake. Funny thing is no one else on board realised the mistake nor my fishing friends on FB. I've removed the photos as I don't condone breaking the rules and was a genuine mistake due to not keeping up with the rules. My mistake.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I used to have a real beef with people that flaunted the rules. But since QLD Fisheries went full retard on RRFF I have mellowed a lot.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    It's pretty much gotten to the stage that you need to check the website a few times a year. It used to be easy to print off the sizes and limits - 3 pages or so, but now it's like a short bloody novel. Nothing like making it easy to keep a copy and track of.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    It's pretty much gotten to the stage that you need to check the website a few times a year. It used to be easy to print off the sizes and limits - 3 pages or so, but now it's like a short bloody novel. Nothing like making it easy to keep a copy and track of.
    Yeah the rules give me a headache trying to decipher them, it's like The Times cryptic crossword - ˙ou can have eight fish on board unless you have less than 3 people in which case you are allowed 4 people per 70 cm fish except on odd days of the pre gregorian calendar... I think there's a column in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Yeah the rules give me a headache trying to decipher them, it's like The Times cryptic crossword - ˙ou can have eight fish on board unless you have less than 3 people in which case you are allowed 4 people per 70 cm fish except on odd days of the pre gregorian calendar... I think there's a column in this.
    It gets even weirder, if you look at coral fin fish you are allowed 5 cod ea combined species. Now if you happen to catch an Estuary Cod aka, gold spotted or black spotted cod which is considered an Estuary species it goes to your overall count of cod. Never had that many but have got the odd estuary cod amongst others. Makes my check sheet redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Bloody fat fingers, how do I remove the Disagree Post.

I like the Gregorian Calendar idea, you can celebrate Easter, Christmas and New Years eve all over again.

Ok, I found thst if I Agree to the post it gets rid of the Disagree, nearly as convoluted as the DPI fish limits.

I have on board ReBait the latest FQ species list, limits etc and although I often go out, I still need to refer to the sheet.

IMO, there needs to be some sort of simplification, which I am sure FQ and Boating Patrol and NP Rangers would agree with.

We have FQ , Water Police, NP Rangers all having a finger in the policing pie. You could , at a pinch , add TMR.

It is a double edged sword. We here in Qld have a vast array of fish species, which is good, but then we have a vast array of rules governing those species, which is bad.

We have private apps, Government apps, Internet sites, hard copy ID sheets and more , so in reality, we should all be aware of the rules.Yeah Nah ! too hard.

I often wonder if FQ make rule changes just to justify their jobs or are they really concerned about individual species ?

I also know, like most environmental issues, this fishery is fluid and changes have to be made to achieve outcomes for the fishery and the stakeholders.

Let's also remember we and the policing bodies are human and we all make boo boo's.

Recently a AF'er was given a Notice ( warning ) about a certain activity and if breached again would be a $23,000 fine. This person had no idea what they did, until pointed out by QB&FP. In the big scheme of things and IMO, it was a nothing event, but apparently Government take it seriously. We'll leave it there.

Getting back to species bag limits, possession limits, no take species, seasonal closures, maximum limits, boundary closures, combined species bag limits, differentiation between Tidal and CRFF and now.. OTHER species, which to this date has still not identified individual species that fall under this banner ... insert angry face. I have had on a number occasions been pulled up by WP and QB&FP and they have been wrong in their assessment of data in relation to species and other rules. Luckily I had on board the latest info and was courteous in my conversations. All ended good. This is the thing. If you " intentionally " abuse the rules, you'll pay, if you make an honest mistake and converse in a friendly manner to authorities, all will end well. They have the ability to make decisions based on " discretionary powers ".

OH, and FFS ! remove Hussar from the CRFF total bag limits..........

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Agreed Phill. Imagine they did a review of all species in 2020 and these scientists were super good and were able to give us the exact regulations that would see the best management practices put in place that saw us return to a place where fish stocks were growing and we were able to maximise the sustainable yield for years to come. FQ would have no continuing role. They’d do themselves out of a job. One year they’re telling us that pretty much all species are not at risk of decline and the fisheries are sustainable. The next year they’re changing the goal posts from one about sustainability to one about % of virgin biomass. They’ve got no idea what the virgin biomass was in the first place.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Phill, interesting comment about regard for individual species. The original closure for snapper and pearl perch was for all of July but got changed to mid july to mid August to allow for the school holiday season, which really means accommodating all those visitors that come here to get away from the cold southern states.

Doh, just assumed was re the closure ... forgot about boat limits... time for some revision

After having taken the time to go and talk to Matt, it gave me a better understanding of the process. At the end of the day, after all the science is done, the scientists aren't the ones that then make the rules. They may make a recommendation based on the brief they are given as to the desired objective ( and from my talk with Matt, I think we would have liked that a whole lot less than what we got) but at the end of the day the decision is made by the fisheries managers - just how much that decision gets politicised I guess depends on who the stakeholders are and how many votes are in it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    After having taken the time to go and talk to Matt, it gave me a better understanding of the process. At the end of the day, after all the science is done, the scientists aren't the ones that then make the rules. They may make a recommendation based on the brief they are given as to the desired objective ( and from my talk with Matt, I think we would have liked that a whole lot less than what we got) but at the end of the day the decision is made by the fisheries managers - just how much that decision gets politicised I guess depends on who the stakeholders are and how many votes are in it.
    Yep, I saw the orihinal recommendations and they were tougher but at the end of the day were watered down, then the tourism group got involved and watered down further. At the end of the day politics won.