Thread: Where are they ?

Where are they ?

Where are the winteries ? 2 trips in the past 3 days, first was from bramble bay over towards the old compass buoy area, today the pelican and banana banks, fresh bloodworms and squid strips for 2 small fish.Water temp ? Other side of a new moon ? Usually plenty this time of the year and I mostly get my bag.

Re: Where are they ?

Good question, up here the luderick fishermen start late May but haven't seen them operating yet. Even the commercial mullet netters are struggling as they are just not here. Funnily enough about 6 weeks ago we were getting our SP chewed by 3" tailor in the Passage but even they are scarce on the beaches.

Giveitacrack if your a die hard fisho look into keeping a fishermans almanic diary, there have been days where i have xaught a donut and lots of them than there are days 4 of us boat over 100 king fish over 2-3 hours

If i had an almanic book would have been handy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks Gazza, I am one of the great lazy bastards but I generally take a photo of my decent catches which timestamps it then I look at the tides and moon for that time and work backwards. This approx time last year was a cracker for Snapper and Winteries. One little part of the bay has fired this year that has not for over 8 yrs for Snaps...
    Crack

I've just started seeing bins of mullet leaving bribe island very late this year,have not heard of any mega bream catches either,but very unusual for there not to be any large numbers of winter whitening not being caught,water tempts have been warmer for later so this cold snap might help things.

I am going to take a punt and say it will be a late season for the bay this year, water temps out there still very much above average for this time of year and thinking that at least has something to do with it..

As a follow up I went out again today and after a quick sunrise plastics fish for 2 legal squire in the Peel shallows (both in the first 10 min) I fished the Naval Reserve, Chain and Hope banks for not one whiting.Not even a bite.Water still too warm I reckon at 20-21?
    I am not in danger, I am the danger - Walter White

A mate of mine bagged out in a couple of hours at the Sandhills last Thursday.... on squid.

I got bugger all on Wednesday fishing small ships and jist about everywhere else in the Rous. But we did see one guy catching quite a few - looked closely and he was using yabbies. Nobody else catching any.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Were the squid arrows or tigers grant. I haven't found any big arrow yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Were the squid arrows or tigers grant. I haven't found any big arrow yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Bruce, there were some big tigers around the 5lb mark at the Gneerings a couple of weeks ago, seem to have tapered off though.
    Was hoping to have hit the arrows and tigers st Hervey Bay in the last few month's but my shoulders soon put a stop to that.

Caught These winter whiting couple hours Sunday just gone &

give a hint between the rouse channel to Moreton island Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8916E2D-C128-4FA9-A61E-5B1B26E8264C.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	121754

All caught on cut up squid strips

Mitch
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Good to see you found them mate.Always a good area....

Bagged out easily at the little Sandhills this morning.

They were thick.

But just average sized fish .
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

They are being caught up the Northern end of bay but there small size I was told but he bagged out.

Good to hear. Hopefully there in 2 weeks when I can go out next.Fish tacos...yum

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Bagged out easily at the little Sandhills this morning.

They were thick.

But just average sized fish .