Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Haines V146R rebuild thread

Re: Haines V146R rebuild thread

Hey Giddy looks really tidy and well presented you must love the fairing board lol

What happen to that other boat you done up not sure ifit were the half cabin or the runabout but i remember u saying u had it up for sale but found it hard to offload

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Quick update on the little Haines.

When I left off in October, I'd just finished the wiring in the boat..

Since then, I did the trailer re-build.
    I didn't believe it possible that the boat/trailer/motor combination could weigh 750kg or less, so I converted the trailer to have brakes. I also lowered the ride height, fitted new plastic guards and HT mags, rewired and LED lights. Strengthened the draw bar, fitted brackets for tie downs and tail lights, new bearings and sprayed with a bit of cold gal.
    Headed off to the weigh bridge, and lo and behold - No leg, no fuel, no seats - 760kg. And the previous owner had no brakes for over 40 years...
    IMG_0990.jpg IMG_0989.jpg

Next step was to have the boat and trailer registered after fitting new impeller and refitting the leg, then the long awaited water test

IMG_1018.jpg

For some reason, I cant load a couple of short videos of the boat in action.

Suffice it to say, I was stunned by the performance of the little 70hp Johnson. It was a 1987 model and the little Haines fairly leapt onto the plane and maxed out at 35knots.

I had purchased a 90hp etec a few weeks earlier to put on the 146, but I was so happy with the performance of the 2-smoke 70 that I decided to keep the etec for the next boat.

Consequently, I listed the little wave breaker Haines on Facebook to see if it would generate any interest, and it sold within 3 hours.
    A really nice young bloke who is into spear fishing drove down from Rockhampton over night and and collected the boat.
    A very happy end to a quite enjoyable journey. The boat suited his needs perfectly, and I thoroughly enjoyed building it.

And to those of you who doubted the wave breaker/old 2 stroke formula... Enough said.

So, looking for the next project.

I think I may go another Haines. Probably a V16R, so I can find a home for the recently acquired etec.
    And the 1600SO I did a couple of years ago had such a fantastic smooth riding hull, I'm keen to play with that hull again.
    It should go well with the 90.
    The 200 on the SO was just frightening...

Well done Giddy nicely put together, surprised someone was actually interested in a 14 footer for spear fishing

What kind of rough price did it go for dobt need exact, couldnt see my self paying more than 3-4k for ahull that size byt i know haines go for a lot more so interested to hear

Ausfish Silver Member

Roughly 4 times what you'd be prepared to pay.

well done i read this thread all over again , enjoyable especially the wavebreaker and dash construction, seems cant go wrong with a haines rebuild , seem to have a cult following , these v16/17s are popular with the divers .