Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Help with electric motor battery selection and charging

Re: Help with electric motor battery selection and charging

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Do you think the Minkota riptide will do the job?

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/minn-kota-r...011015#start=9
    mate, I think you would be asking a lot of it.

It’s borderline for my 420 renegade

Webster is higher sided and the twin hulls would create more resistance

Do you think the Minkota riptide will do the job?

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/minn-kota-r...011015#start=9
    Pardon for butting in, however I have that motor on my 4.2 plate side console, and it has never let me down.
    Shawn

Also borderline for my 4.1 polycraft in the Brisbane river against a flood / ebb spring tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Pardon for butting in, however I have that motor on my 4.2 plate side console, and it has never let me down.
    Shawn
    I ran a 55lb on my 5m CC - inshore / offshore

My caveat was that I had a big 200amp AGM battery ...... without it - nah

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I’m also wondering if the 7amps per hour on spot lock, is that drawing from the 300amp hours worth of batteries or does it work that at 36v it’s three times that? Does he have 300/7=42.85 hours at that draw before his batteries are dead or 100/7=14.28hours. This stuff I find it hard to get my head around when we start talking converters etc.

the reason I am asking is that I’m seriously considering going to one of the new trolling motors from Garmin/Lowrance. They are 24/36 volts. No 12v options. Still have to do lot of research on that before making a decision.

Ranmar, how would you think one of those 75ah Slimline Baintech batteries would go for a start battery on a 60hp outboard?
    No electric motor will pull just 7amps ....... be it 12 , 24 , 36 volt

I defy anyone who says that they can get more than a 12 hr day out of a normal bank of batteries when spot locking ........ & not sucking the marrow out of their batteries.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    No electric motor will pull just 7amps ....... be it 12 , 24 , 36 volt

I defy anyone who says that they can get more than a 12 hr day out of a normal bank of batteries when spot locking ........ & not sucking the marrow out of their batteries.

Chris
    You just need to judge your trips a bit better Chris and stop fishing in all that crap weather...

Done heaps of 2 day reef trips over the past 18 months and never been below 50% of my battery's..

Often in a gentle breeze without too much current we often are pulling just 2-3 amps at 36v...

You guys should really get one of those bluetooth monitors that give realtime usage....its really very interesting to get to know how many amps you are pulling in different currents and winds....

Granted I am a fairweather fisho and I can schedule work around the best fishing weather....no doubt going out in solid 15 knot winds would empty the batteries in a day...when an afternoon breeze gets up much over 12 knots and the prop is starting to bob out of the water I start to do a bit of trolling and scout out some new ground and look at somewhere to anchor for the night...

I dont like to use it for too long when its flogging its guts out to hold its spot anyway...

We were 75 km's out last week and it was using under 1 amp in these conditions but of course come afternoon and it blows up almost every time...

Reg ward.jpg