Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimensions for ladder style keel roller assembly

Dimensions for ladder style keel roller assembly

Hi lads,
    The new rig needs more rollers as its hard work to get it off the trailer fully loaded. It's got a full planing plank so is well suited to a ladder keel roller assembly. Can anyone tell me what size steel theirs is made of and what sort of spacing between the rollers? Currently thinking that 50 x 50 x about 4 mm should be pretty close.

Thanks
    Craig

Re: Dimensions for ladder style keel roller assembly

Have you greased the roller shafts it makes a huge difference?

Second the grease as a start. Some rollers bind to the point of not rolling at all without it. If you do end up going the ladder frame, consider stainless right angle. Bit more expensive but you will only ever do it once.

Third on the greasing rollers. When I finally convinced my brother to spend some time doing it at the ramp once the boat was off we found that the roller frames themselves were bent in touching the rollers which is why they wouldn't roll, and this from a rig less than a year old. Adjusting the rollers also works well, PIA for mine because not mush clearance to get underneath the boat but once set up it just rolls off without any effort.

Definitely some adjustment in order but simply not enough rollers either. After I did the trailer on the old rig it came off with one hand so at a minimum I need to get the same number of rollers under the new rig.

Definitely agree on the stainless option.

If they are teflon rollers, replace the galvanised shafts with Gr316 stainless shafts, you will never have to grease them again.
    Jack.

So nearly a year and a half later I've actually got around to doing something more than whinging. 50/50/5 RHS and rollers @ 150 mm spacing.

Looks great CT.....and ah, how much fun is it drilling all those 16 mm holes...

I loved it so much I decide to beef it up by drilling even more holes in the bottom and sides to reinforce the angle iron from possible twisting....

After knocking my hull bottom around from keel rollers dropping, I reckon all boat trailers should have a roller ladder to properly support the keel....

IMG_1457.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Looks great CT.....and ah, how much fun is it drilling all those 16 mm holes...

I loved it so much I decide to beef it up by drilling even more holes in the bottom and sides to reinforce the angle iron from possible twisting....

After knocking my hull bottom around from centre rollers dropping I reckon all boat trailers should have a roller ladder to properly support the keel....
    Patience and plenty of cutting compound!

I remembered you'd braced yours with threaded rod but I had some spare angle so have cut three cross braces to weld in. Should keep it from splaying out or twisting. It bolts across three cross members too, so won't go anywhere.

Can't believe I've been thinking about this for a year and a half.......

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post

Can't believe I've been thinking about this for a year and a half.......
    Yeah 1.5 years but youve only been fishing twice

Also arent blue rollers for alloy

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Yeah 1.5 years but youve only been fishing twice

Also arent blue rollers for alloy

But my axles are mint!

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    But my axles are mint!
    Touche

Ct you won't go wrong with the keel roller frame. S/S pins are certainly the go to give you pretty well no maintenance at least for the keel. Make sure your hanging on.😁

Box of bracketry turned up tonight to keep this job going. Ordered three weeks ago as they were "in stock", except they weren't and I've been waiting waiting. Anyway, good to go now, except for the 1/3 of the brackets that are the wrong ones. Rechecked the order and I order the right ones, they just stuffed up.....

So...
    • you've been thinking about this for a year and a half
    • you place an online order for parts
    • the online order takes longer than expected
    • its wrong....

Oh dear, this sounds familiar...

But then....
    • If you ask for advice, you actually want it
    • You listen to it and probably heed it
    • You actually finish the job
    • Its a fair bet you use your boat too. Even using it once is a win.

What a conflict! You were so close to being the new king on this forum