Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The new Certate

Re: The new Certate

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Guys when I started wearing out cheap reels I started spending 2to300hundred and thought that was a lot of money for a good reel and then as the reels got better so did the cost, the first high end reel cost me $630 to my door from Japan and that was $830 at ######## so I thought I did well ,but as the new reels come on line there jacking the price up another hundred the last Certate I bought was on sale at $420 and now the new luvias are $499 and $630 for the new Certate LT I don't like paying for them but I really like using them.
    How good is fishing

I have a good mate who is a decent (thinking) fishoe who earns decent coin ….. but has generally been quite frugal with his tackle purchases (Shimano Stradic type of thing) - it never stopped him from catching fish & I would not question his gear .
    That said I've been mildly amused watching his progression into higher end rods & reels over the last couple of years …… I think once he was exposed to better gear - the penny dropped & he has now some sweet gear which I know he is enjoying the benefits .

I'll always advocate buying the best gear you can afford - but at the same time buy as best as you can …….. My last Certate set me back under $300 landed from the US - They were selling here for $550 …… so I ended up with a higher spec reel at a mid spec price - Winning !!!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Chris, as mentioned, if you like to fish it, it's no one else's concern on how good it is or how much you payed, it's a personal thing, ya gotta be happy with what you use, otherwise there ain't much joy in that.
    For that same reason, that's why I build my own....... everyone's different, so you stick to what makes you happy, regardless of brand...

Col
    Yes col I spin my own rods too you know what your making and your making it for yourself for the way you want to fish and the rod blanks you want to fish with more importantly ,my mate always had gloomis and I fished with Berkley rods and this spinning rod always shot 10inches up the bank when we were bass fishing turned out it wasn't splined properly, now everything is built right for the style of fishing I'm doing with the right reel to match it, once you build a few it all gets easier and makes the fishing a lot more satisfying when you have a well balanced outfit that you trust.

Re: The new Certate LT

Not too far back I bought a Penn Slammer 3 - As a heavy tackle back up reel ...… The reels have a good reputation & following and since I was able to get it at a great price - why not.

I'm sorry to say , I couldn't live with it ..... it was heavy (not something I wanted to be fishing with over a prolonged period of spinning) You turn the handle & it felt like you were winding under a load , The drag went from zero to hero really quick - it just felt agricultural .

There are millions of fishoes that would be more than happy to own one & it certainly didn't take me long to sell it ….. like a lot of things in life once you become accustomed to a certain level of quality & refinement ….. it's hard to go back .

Chris69 - Go & buy that Certate LT ……. you'll love it !

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Out of the box Daiwa wins hands down on just about every reel from mid range up when you play with them in the shop.They are generally lighter and have less resistance/feedback through the handle when winding.Trouble is they wear very quickly and once a bit of wear creeps in it's impossible to get them back to what I consider acceptable.Daiwa are not noted for their back up and you would be surprised at how many newish reels are serviced/repaired with parts from lesser models or the customer sits and waits for sometimes months for parts to arrive.In fact the more you spend on a Daiwa the less chance you'll be able to fix it.Shimano on the other hand sell a comparable product that is by no means sub standard and they back it up with a comprehensive range of spares for every reel.Added to this generally all that's needed to get one back to perfect is bearings.Next time you get your reel serviced grab one of the shelf,with your eyes closed they should feel the same.
    I was a huge fan of Shimano through the 80's / 90s & early 2000s - Without a doubt dealing with them (Dumphy Sports) was always good - specially when at one stage I literally lived around the corner from them. They were the days where I was focused on offshore fishing - predominantly overheads & a baitrunner or 2 when they were introduced.
    Moving on when I started to gain an interest in finesse fishing - soft plastics & into barra fishing I found that the offerings by Daiwa were much better - But it was the introduction of the Certate that got me hooked - Shimano had nothing comparable aside from the Stella . It was a quantum leap in reel design - Little reels that packed a punch . For the last 15 years Daiwa have continued to develop their reels & not just cosmetic changes which Shimano tend to do . Additionally Daiwa develop their high end reels & incorporate many of those features in their future lower spec reels - so the consumer is a winner.
    I'm not going to say that there aren't issues with Daiwas - noisy line rollers are classic Daiwa ( I retrofitted my Certates with ceramic bearing to overcome this annoying trait) - The last model Certate addressed this issue. Daiwa reels certainly need to be maintained - those tight tolerances demand it .
    One thing that I can say is that Daiwa Australia has stepped up big time when it comes to reel repairs / service & warranty ….. they are easy to deal with , prices are very reasonable (high end spin reels @ $65 - std spin reels@ $35 + $11 shipping. ) & the reels come back schmick. I don't think that there are any concerns these days .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I just want either Shimano or Diawa to release a bait runner in the Stella/dogfight range. I’ll be straight down the shop to buy a couple.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I just want either Shimano or Diawa to release a bait runner in the Stella/dogfight range. I’ll be straight down the shop to buy a couple.
    I've said the same thing ……
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Worm drive/Archimedes screw oscillation in the Stella would require a totally new design to what they use now in a limited market.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Not too far back I bought a Penn Slammer 3 - As a heavy tackle back up reel ...… The reels have a good reputation & following and since I was able to get it at a great price - why not.

I'm sorry to say , I couldn't live with it ..... it was heavy (not something I wanted to be fishing with over a prolonged period of spinning) You turn the handle & it felt like you were winding under a load , The drag went from zero to hero really quick - it just felt agricultural .

There are millions of fishoes that would be more than happy to own one & it certainly didn't take me long to sell it ….. like a lot of things in life once you become accustomed to a certain level of quality & refinement ….. it's hard to go back .

Chris69 - Go & buy that Certate LT ……. you'll love it !

Chris
    I am about to buy a mid range spinner for 30lb braid and was tossing up between saragosa 6000, Saltist 4500 and Slammer 3 5500. Judging by your comment I should stay away from the Slammer 3?

I have a couple oldrr model Penns one a Slammer 260 yeah it is very heavy compared to other plastic reels of similar sizes but the HT100 drag is nice

I have a Penn 560 or 750 something like that egg beater i snagged it on the hawkesbury river pulled it up let it dry off and scrubbed it dosassembled it regreased it and its bern a good reel lol

When i pulled it up it was covered in barnicles i think the hours i spent cleaning it i could have just bought one lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

This is that Penn i snagged i gave the rod to a old mate i kept the reel donno why still got all the barnicle stuff on the handles bar part the lead bail arm part was corroded tooAttachment 120864

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    I am about to buy a mid range spinner for 30lb braid and was tossing up between saragosa 6000, Saltist 4500 and Slammer 3 5500. Judging by your comment I should stay away from the Slammer 3?
    Where are you located ?

My suggestion is to go to a tackle store that has a good range of reels - like Otto's in Sydney , Tacklewarehouse in Brisbane & compare all three reels side by side ….. then you will get an appreciation for the feel of the reel - Better still , take the rod you intend to use with you (or put the reel on the same rod that they have in the store) …… then you'll be on the right path .
    All three reels are very capable - I just think the Shimano & Daiwa offerings are more refined . I had a look at the Saltist Ltd recently & in my opinion it's got it over the Saragosa in those smaller sizes like the 4500 (Same drag " 10kgs - 10 bearings vs 6 & that sweet power knob) . If you can pick it up for under $400 (Otto's tackle) you'll have a much better reel & worth paying the $50 /$60 extra .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Where are you located ?

My suggestion is to go to a tackle store that has a good range of reels - like Otto's in Sydney , Tacklewarehouse in Brisbane & compare all three reels side by side ….. then you will get an appreciation for the feel of the reel - Better still , take the rod you intend to use with you (or put the reel on the same rod that they have in the store) …… then you'll be on the right path .
    All three reels are very capable - I just think the Shimano & Daiwa offerings are more refined . I had a look at the Saltist Ltd recently & in my opinion it's got it over the Saragosa in those smaller sizes like the 4500 (Same drag " 10kgs - 10 bearings vs 6 & that sweet power knob) . If you can pick it up for under $400 (Otto's tackle) you'll have a much better reel & worth paying the $50 /$60 extra .

Chris
    Thanks Chris. I have had a play with all 3 reels. I also have a slammer 3 7500 and Saragosa 8000 but was interested to know anyone’s experiences with the smaller sizes, particularly if they have had any problems. As you say they are all very similar and the choice may come down to how they sit on the rod. I’m currently leaning towards the slammer 3 - I love the big handles on those reels.

Cheers

Bought one just don't no what its like yet no dealer had one local so I bought one online from the place I can't mention hear,if no one wants to stock one but still wants to advertise them ill buy from anywhere online that's easy to deal with and they wonder why tackle shops go out of business.

I had a play in the Daiwa cabinet of a major tackle shop in Darwin today. I've been looking for a replacement for my '13 Freams 2500. I was looking at offerings from the LT Kix 3000 upto maybe the new Phantom Hyper 3000. They all felt pretty good but you feel the smoothness improve as you up the budget.
    Had a poke around the top shelf, LT Certates and Exist were very nice....but an odd one out caught my eye. An older model on clearance thats as light as the Exist and almost as buttery smooth with 10BB and Zaion body and rotor, made in Japan with magsealed body and lineroller. It was a TD Battler 2500. I'd never seen one these before. Original price was $700 but the clearance discount put it cheaper than the Phantom Hyper. The TD Black 3000 was my pick up until this point but the Battler has me thinking.... Japanese built older model, or newer spec made in China......same price.

Of note, I do all my research online before going to the shops...this shops reel pricing was cheaper than any deal I'd seen online.

Cheers, Roo.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Are the chrome coloured parts we can see at the rear of this reel and the bail spring cover and the spool retainer made of plastic?
    Reggy