Thread: 1770 offshore 2nd Feb

1770 offshore 2nd Feb

Just a quick report. Weather looked good so hit the boat ramp at midday. Fished east of Muzzie ( Musgrave Island ) for a few.

Over-nighted in the lagoon and first light at it again. could not buy a bite. Then checked maori guide... yep.. bad day.

Ended up with 15 CRFF and a Trevor. Only under size Reds about and a shark or two.

couple of pics attached

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7460 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	120764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7453 (1280x960).jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	120765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7459 (1280x960).jpg 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	120766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7473 (1280x960).jpg 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	120767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7443 (1280x960).jpg 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	120768  

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: 1770 offshore 2nd Feb

Did a run out to Caloundra Wide on Wednesday, no run and very little fun. Bagged out on Pearlies, a few snaps, tuskies but hard yakka getting them. Same thing, wednesday wss apparently the worst day. But was out on the water.

Gday Phil - mate can I just ask approximate weight on your boat and how does the ute manage? I have a 2007 Ranger and am looking at a 6.1m plate boat that will be about 1.8 t on trailer. I haven't towed a boat of that size and am hoping my little 3lt ranger will mange to bring her back up some dodgy ramps. Any info / advice most welcome - the nerves are increasing Hahahaha.
    Cheers,
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by scroman View Post
    Gday Phil - mate can I just ask approximate weight on your boat and how does the ute manage? I have a 2007 Ranger and am looking at a 6.1m plate boat that will be about 1.8 t on trailer. I haven't towed a boat of that size and am hoping my little 3lt ranger will mange to bring her back up some dodgy ramps. Any info / advice most welcome - the nerves are increasing Hahahaha.
    Cheers,
    Troy
    Troy,

My Colorado is a 2.8ltr turbo. My boat all up is under 2ton fueled.

Tows well. Mu car is a manual and if the rpm gets below 2000 I pull it back a gear to keep the speed going. But if comfortably sits on 105 + kph on the highway ( 110 zones ). Fuel blows out by about 4ltrs / 100 over non-towing.

The boat ramps............. good question.

most 4 x 4 's come standard with auto front hubs, so I had mine changed back to manual. What this does, is allow me to put it in 4 x 4 low range to drive up the ramp after retrieving the boat. Saves my clutch. It just engages the rear diff into low range and I crawl up. If you just use 4 x 4 low ( manual or auto gear box ) to drive up, but do not turn wheels when this is engaged as it will bind up the gears in the gearbox and or transfer case and one day.. BANG !

One thing I have installed on the boat is a " boat catch ".... google it. One of the best things I have done for solo launch and retrieves.

Hope this helps

cheers LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 05-02-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks Phil, it is the 'bang' that makes me nervous. I always engage low even with my 4.6 just so the old girl isn't working as hard and try to baby the clutch - it has been replaced for a heavy duty clutch as the standard Ranger ones were more geared for comfort driving in my opinion. I'll be picking a week day mid morning and taking a mate with an 80 series cruiser and snatch strap to the ramp as it is hard sand at best and steep and wet at it it's worst. If something goes amiss I certainly don't want to be inconveniencing anyone else at the time. I have been wondering about the boat catch addition - looks and sounds good so Thanks I will certainly consider that.
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice - very much appreciated!!
    Cheers,
    Troy

Yep, engaging low 4 x 4 and locking in front hubs is OK, just don;t turn. get to the top of the ramp on flat ground, dis-engage low range and off you go

Hi Phill

Long time no see mate hope all is well with you ? Glad to see you and RE-BAIT still getting a few fish and a few trips in. I don't get on the site to much these days even thou I have a big Platey too. (see pics and vid) You livin up that way or still on S/Side and driving up to your Fav destination !!! Is your Mob still the same as we should catch up for a fish this year some time ? Any way nice work on the solo trip and some nice fish too.

Catch up soon Cheers Ray.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4260 (2).jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	120811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4259 (2).jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	120812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4265 (2).jpg 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	120813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2514[23239].jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	120814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4128.jpg 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	120815  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4092.jpg 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	120816  

Thanks Ray, good to hear from you

I still live down Springwood way and just ravel to 1770 when I can. I still do the week ( sometimes two ) in September each year.
    I have just bought a smaller tinnie for prawning and creek / river fishing down here.

That's a fine looking rig there Ray ...

There is a Fraser trip planned for later this year... I'll post something up here if it pans out OK.

And hope is all well with you...

cheers Phill

Cheers Phill will keep my eye out for your Fraser post !! Ive been doing a Fraser/Waddy/Orchid trip each year since 2014 around October with lots of succsess. Got the rig and trailer all set up for fishing off Fraser so id be keen when you plan your trip.My brothers have small tinnies so i just hitch a trip with them when im keen !! (No need to buy one ). Catch up soon.

Cheer Ray.