Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Boat Based camping - The Keppels

  1. #1

    Boat Based camping - The Keppels

    Hi All

    I'm thinking of doing a bit of a road trip in February culminating in a weeks camping in the Keppels .

    I've started to do a little research & I'm hoping to go to one of the lesser frequented places like Conical Island (aka Pleasant Is)
    My ideal plan is to load up the boat with camping gear / extra fuel etc and fish around the area

    Except for a day trip many years ago I'm unfamiliar with the area so any intel would be appreciated - particularly camping locations , anchoring etc .

    I do realise that weatherwise it's probably not the best time to head up there but Feb might be my only option for the next 12 months or so .

    appreciate your help


    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  2. #2

    Re: Boat Based camping - The Keppels

    The Parks website has a reasonable website that will help you find where you can and can't camp. I have attached two links below, one is an interactive map, you can zoom in and out, until you find the area you are looking for.

    The second link is a hyperlink from the map, it tells you what you can and can't do on the island, how to go about booking etc.


    https://findapark.npsr.qld.gov.au/?_...861.1577573200

    https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/k...861.1577573200

  3. #3

    Re: Boat Based camping - The Keppels

    Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    The Parks website has a reasonable website that will help you find where you can and can't camp. I have attached two links below, one is an interactive map, you can zoom in and out, until you find the area you are looking for.

    The second link is a hyperlink from the map, it tells you what you can and can't do on the island, how to go about booking etc.


    https://findapark.npsr.qld.gov.au/?_...861.1577573200

    https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/k...861.1577573200
    Thanks Bremic

    I was already onto these sites

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  4. #4

    Re: Boat Based camping - The Keppels

    Conical is exposed so in usual summer weather I wouldn't sleep well with the boat anchored off the beach. Pick a better anchorage and just drive to where you want to fish. Nothings that far. Considine is reasonable (North Keppel) but has sandflies according to my mates. I've never stayed there.

    Weather has been shit since Christmas eve. Windy all day with typical afternoon northerlies.

  5. #5

    Re: Boat Based camping - The Keppels

    Id suggest keep going north and camp around Whitsunday islands. Dozens of island camp grounds available with most having anchor bouys.
    Plus the fishing is a lot better from my experience


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

  6. #6

    Re: Boat Based camping - The Keppels

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

    I'm thinking of doing a bit of a road trip in February culminating in a weeks camping in the Keppels .

    I've started to do a little research & I'm hoping to go to one of the lesser frequented places like Conical Island (aka Pleasant Is)
    My ideal plan is to load up the boat with camping gear / extra fuel etc and fish around the area

    Except for a day trip many years ago I'm unfamiliar with the area so any intel would be appreciated - particularly camping locations , anchoring etc .

    I do realise that weatherwise it's probably not the best time to head up there but Feb might be my only option for the next 12 months or so .

    appreciate your help


    Chris
    Hi Chris you could camp at Humpy it looks pretty good let me know if you are still going to come up here have the boat up here at work we went out and overnighted the other week NE of North Keppel caught a fair few threw a heap back biggest was a cobia to 28 1/2 kg we dropped his twin brother shark was trying to eat him IMG_2701.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

  7. #7

    Re: Boat Based camping - The Keppels

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Id suggest keep going north and camp around Whitsunday islands. Dozens of island camp grounds available with most having anchor bouys.
    Plus the fishing is a lot better from my experience


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Was there 12 months ago camped at Naris beach - it's a great area but I thinks it's best left for late winter / early spring

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us