Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Starter battery??

Re: Lithium Starter battery??

https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/product/dcs-12v-75ah-lithium

Says in the specs starters up to 2500 watts. I don't really know what that means?

TMC

The power consumed by an electric device (watts) is calculated by multiplying the supply voltage by the current (amps) the device draws. Via mathmatical manipulation - amps is then calculated by dividing watts (power) by voltage - thus a 2500 watt capability means it would be suitable for starter motors that draw roughly 200 amps or less.

Thanks Scottar,
    Any idea how I find out what a 2018 Mercury 150 four stroke starter would draw?

TMC

Can't find anything definitive from any reputable source via google. I would find someone with a decent quality tong meter and check it for yourself. Most decent meters have a "maximum" function that will store and display the highest current drawn over the starting procedure as it will change. The highest will be at the instant the key is turned to get it moving. Other than that, try your mechanic.

We recently had an issue with an engine that had lithium batteries fitted where it burnt out 3 x CDI units

The lithium was shutting off the battery from accepting charge. just like turning a battery switch off when under way, the result was the voltage slowly crept up to a point it burnt things out.

Several outboard manufacturers are now investigating this and I would think an advisory will be released shortly.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I swapped out the crappy diode rectifier/regulator that came on my Yamaha F60 to an FH020AA MOSFET one that's common on newer motorbikes. Now instead of wandering around all the time from anywhere to 14V to 14.9V, it charges at 14.1-14.4V every time which now makes it suitable for charging most 12V LiFePO4 batteries.

I run this battery as a starter battery:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Powe...a/132188593129

With this Supercapacitor in parallel to help supply the initial cranking peak and prolong the life of the battery:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultracap...o/263742449306

It never goes below 13.2V. The whole setup in a battery box weighs around 10kg.

I received the following from Paul of Deep Cycle Systems (Gold Coast Hinterland) for the use of their lithium starting batteries. Looking at their web site it is encouraging seeing the 4X4 set use lithium batteries. I think with the K’s and remoteness they will do – it is a good test for the longer term viability for a lithium starting battery in a boat.

Would or will I buy them – yes I am looking to dropping a starter and a battery (really a second starter) that the accessories are wired to. Weight 55-60kg to 13.5kg for the 100Ah lithium. Just waiting for the ‘travel restrictions to stop’.

www.deepcyclesystems.com.au

The directional output from a rectifier is not good for any battery, we have 25Amp Alternator-Battery modules for $250 Incl. GST so you can wire the alternator output into it and then the output to our batteries.

BRP’s advice is

No. 2017-02(D) Models: All Evinrude® Outboards

SUBJECT: Revised Battery Recommendations

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.

The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.

If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.

American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) specifications state:
    “Lithium Ion Battery systems pose different risks from those encountered with lead acid batteries and should only be installed and maintained in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations." Failure to follow the battery manufacturer recommendations may cause the battery to fail, resulting in a fire or explosion, property damage, and serious injury or de

Looks like we may be getting somewhere now.

https://itechworld.com.au/collection...h1420-cranking

TMC

You really want to to look up megalife batteries not I tech.

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    You really want to to look up megalife batteries not I tech.
    What makes them better than anyone else?

I'm not advocating ITech by any means, it's just that lithium starter batteries has been a topic of interest here on Ausfish so I posted a link for everyone to speculate on if they wanted to. I'm not even in the market at the moment for starter batteries but when I am hopefully lithium will be suitable as a viable alternative. Lithium has been a grey area as far as being used as a starter.

As a side note I am seriously considering a battery that Ranmar recommended, a Baintech slimline lithium with a built in DC-DC charger to run fridge, electronics and lights when overnighting and camping.

TMC

U haven’t thought far enough ahead yet- how do you charge a lithium house off a lithium starter? I’ve done my research and came to a conclusion of agm start which then uses dc2dc to lithium house. The reason why I mentioned megalife is because a few guys are actually using them for a start battery in their boats- itech, well, u get what U pay for

U haven’t thought far enough ahead yet- how do you charge a lithium house off a lithium starter? I’ve done my research and came to a conclusion of agm start which then uses dc2dc to lithium house. The reason why I mentioned megalife is because a few guys are actually using them for a start battery in their boats- itech, well, u get what U pay for
    The slimline lithium is for immediate use, not in 5 to 6 years which is when I will look again at lithium start batteries. That's why I stated as a "viable alternative" whether that be a combination of AGMs and lithium or lithium- lithium. By then lithium batteries may have proven to be a long term option as starter batteries, then hopefully I will not need the third house battery.

TMC

what’s the difference with having a lithium to a lead acid battery when charging the house battery?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I saw this new bulletin today.....I wonder if other manufacturers will follow Mercuries lead.....you wouldnt bother risking it if your Merc was under under warranty would you...

Lithium batteries..jpg

So you cant have a battery that is smarter than your engine charging system.