Thread: Tangalooma Wednesday night.

Tangalooma Wednesday night.

Gday guys, just interested to hear if it is worth dropping a line when camped up behind the wrecks at Tangalooma?
    Bit of background info. A mate I work with has just bought a Yamaha 232? I think it is with twin jet engines. Interesting choice having never owned a boat before but????? Anyway, he has asked me to come for a run and show him some info on fishing and the plan is to camp at Tangalooma for the night. We will leave Caloundra reasonably early, head for some live bait, then the 12 mile, then wide Caloundra and finish fishing around the 100m line. Then make our way down to Tangalooma for the night. Head home Thursday morning.
    Question is, is it worth dropping a line behind the wrecks or a waste of time. Are whiting or break an option over there?
    Anything else we need to be aware of? I know the current races through there but any other significant things?

Thanks guys
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Tangalooma Wednesday night.

The fish on the wrecks are very skittish and you are more likely to lose gear then catch something useful. There are squid on the weed patches nearby though so worth a crack if old mate doesn't mind a bit of squid juice on his new pride and joy, a few whiting around but it has to be quiet! Have hooked a few un-stoppables there on light gear at night, assume they are rays or small sharks. Perhaps head to the arti if its quiet...or the nelson....better options.

Thanks Crunchy, I can’t see him wanting the black stuff everywhere but I’ll certainly ask the question. I do have a mark for the Nielsen but I have never fished it. I believe there is only really room for 1 or 2 boats? Does this sound correct? Neither the owner or the other deckie are fishermen at all so I may have trouble dragging them away from the fancy food and trying to keep them interested

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Forecast for Moreton Bay.

Wednesday 28 August

Winds Variable about 10 knots becoming north to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots in the early afternoon. Seas Below 1 metre. Weather Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm.

GPS.......... Capt Neilsen............. 27 11.126...........153 20.020........... you'll have to sound around to find it.

Wednesday 100mtr line forecast...

Wednesday 8/28
    MorningLight and variable winds with smooth seas. Very small short period waves.

Winds: WSW 2 to 3 knots.
    Seas: S 0.4 meters at 9 seconds.

AfternoonLight NNE winds with a slight chop. Very small short period waves.

Winds: NNE 6 to 8 knots.
    Seas: S 0.4 meters at 8 seconds.

You said you were leaving Caloundra ? is that thru the bar or heading out of Mooloolaba ?

Also... the bay snaps at Capt Neilsen, like a floating cuttlefish ( whole ).... maybe also think about the Curtin Artificial reefs where the odd Cobia will take a livie

good luck

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

The favoured technique for neilsons is to anchor 100 odd meters away and float baits into the area in the current, I found this out by rocking up and thinking cool no one here only to cop some serious abuse from a couple of boats what I thought was a fair bloody mile away.... Anyway I had dropped a placky down and up came a squire, held it up to make a point and buggerd off.

Gday Phill, yeh mate through the bar at Caloundra.

Crunchy, thanks for the heads up about not being right over top of it. If no body is around we may have a drift over the top (assuming we can find it, he only has a small Garmin sounder, I hope this comment doesn’t start a war) otherwise we may hang off it as you say and float pillows back into it.

Gday guys, the plan changed for Wednesday night and we ended up camping on the 12mile.
    I’ll post a brief report in the right section.
    Cheers
    Lee