Thread: Fishing Rockhampton

Fishing Rockhampton

Hi Folks
    I am thinking about going to Rocky in 2 weeks time to try for Barra and threading I the fitzroy river.
    Would I be wasting my time and money dragging my boat up from Sydney?
    Any information/advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Re: Fishing Rockhampton

Quote Originally Posted by scubapro View Post
    Hi Folks
    I am thinking about going to Rocky in 2 weeks time to try for Barra and threading I the fitzroy river.
    Would I be wasting my time and money dragging my boat up from Sydney?
    Any information/advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    What size boat? They have had a few cool days in Rocky and the Barra would probably be starting to slow down I would assume this time of year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Have a Look at the Fishing Central Queensland Facebook group.

The Fitzroy is a big system so it takes a bit of searching but I agree with what Fuzz said above the water temp isn't going to be on your side. Would be a tough couple of weeks I think

Cheers Matt

It's freezing and howling wind up here at the moment. I'm freezing in a heated office so the barra will be being miserable sulky bastards! I wouldnt bother bringing the boat up. We've got a number of high end charter operators up here now that make it so much easier. Give Nathan at Rise Environmental and Guiding a call https://www.riseguidance.com/ Tell him Craig sent you.

Thanks folks. Dirty fuzz the boat is a 510 quintrex cruiseabout.

Quote Originally Posted by scubapro View Post
    Thanks folks. Dirty fuzz the boat is a 510 quintrex cruiseabout.
    No worries! If you really want to Bring the boat up you could always head offshore around the keppels, your boat would be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Don't believe everything that you hear about barramundi. Mostly its folklore or myth and you'd be surprised to find out just how many people simply repeat it to sound credible.

Low temperatures affecting barramundi catch rates is but one of those myths.

Here's why.

I've caught barramundi in water temperatures as low as 18 degrees C.

How so? 'Cos everybody says that that's too cold and they don't bite and that's simply rubbish.

There are 16 different genetic strains of barramundi in Australia. 10 in WA and the NT and 6 in Qld.

Would you catch a barramundi in say the NT/WA or in the Gulf of Carpentaria on the Qld side if the water temp was 18 - 19 degrees? Probably not.

What about if you go south down the Qld E coast?

Well, the most southern strain is the SE Qld strain. Fitzroy, Burnett and Mary River.

This strain has evolved in much cooler waters than the other 15 strains so can indeed stand much colder water than the others.

At prolonged 15 degrees C water temps even the hardy SE strain will turn off (probably die). That happened in 2006 when barramundi in impoundments in s/e Qld turned their toes up following several days of
    max daily temps of 12 C
    in CQ and Wide Bay area. Biggest known to curl up toes was 130cm in Callide Dam near Biloela. THEY were cold days.

What it means is that a barramundi in say top of WA or NT will indeed "go off the chew" in those areas with colder water temps.

With a water temp of 19 C in WA, NT or FNQ barra may indeed be hard to find.. Not wanting to appear out of step with folklore or myth, many an expert will repeat that meaning everywhere. And they do.

Not so in areas where other strains have evolved and which are more tolerant of lower water temps.

I've had sessions in June near Rockhampton where I've got 66 and 72 barramundi in 3 hours in low temperatures. I recall it easily 'cos the 2nd session of 72 barra was memorable because fish no. 72 was 72 cm long.

So.... don't believe everything you hear especially from "experts".

I've got 8 barra in the last couple of weeks (up to 88cm) here while fishing for king threadfin. Wasn't even targeting barra but was using soft vibes which both will take.

Most people believe the myth and don't go barra fishing in winter. Then they say that they won't catch barra in winter 'cos its too cold. The real reason is that they simply don't go.

Sometimes when fishing for ANY species of fish you can be challenged and have to try harder.

A "one size fits all" approach doesn't apply to barramundi.

If you're going to grave dig yet another thread to give someone advice they were chasing a year ago, at least put some pragmatism in it.

Sydney to Rocky is about 1400 km. Are you seriously encouraging a bloke to burn about 4 days in travel alone, with the added stress of towing a boat, to come to a system the size of the Fitzroy, as a virgin, in the dead of winter. Sure, he might catch something but chances are he'd blow a shitload of coin for little result.

At least suggest if he can only do winter, he's got better odds with a charter. Alternatively, suggest September or October when the odds are definitely in his favour.

Always interested in Fitzroy barra fishing no matter when.

Wasn't trying to give him advice about whether to come here or not or when either. You'd already given him that.

However, am interested in picking up on oft repeated myths or folklore. Plenty of that around. Water temp is one of them.

Because those different strains cover a large part of northern Aus coastline and differing conditions (including a wide range of temperatures), a one size fits all approach doesn't apply.

That's the message.

You tell him what you like.

This is the second time he has not seen the thread date lol. Thats a desperate man.

Glad the critics are so observant.

What was the other type he wanted to catch? Have a good look at the very first post.

Threadfin.

So, is June a good time to chase threadies in the Fitzroy?

He'd be smack on for threadies (big ones) in June and have to try a little harder for barra but they're certainly around in winter.

Like I said, the one size fits all approach with water temp doesn't apply.