Thread: Wide Bay Bar

Wide Bay Bar

I’m thinking about heading out through the Bar this weekend as Willy’s looks ok for DI point. I haven’t done a lot of Bar crossings and heard some horror stories about this bar so unsure what to expect. I’m an experienced boater on the open water but don’t know how the swell, wind and tide will affect this bar.hope to head out Saturday morning and back either in the afternoon of Sunday morning if weather permits in a 6m Aluminium boat. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Wide Bay Bar

ring coast guard (54864290) tin can bay .they will give you the latest gps marks for the bar.
    Its not to bad at the moment.
    good luck.
    (07) 5486 4290(07) 5486 4290(07) 5486 4290

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    ring coast guard (54864290) tin can bay .they will give you the latest gps marks for the bar.
    Its not to bad at the moment.
    good luck.
    (07) 5486 4290(07) 5486 4290(07) 5486 4290
    Thanks Tracker! Low tide is late afternoon. Is there any issues crossing at low tide ?

Ausfish Silver Member

cc can answer that but seems to be enough water at lw.

Thank you!

Fifty bucks says it will be sloppy as. Almost 2m swell , windy on Friday, close swell. Best time to cross is an hour each side of the tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jag, I use the fishermans gutter, gutter style entrance that veers of to the south of the main bar. Much less water moving through it than the main bar and a heaps shorter run. Heaps of blokes on hear use it.
    Scott