Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canopy for a duel cab ute

Re: Canopy for a duel cab ute

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Top piece of kit Nagg. Just a quick question. Will you need a GVM/suspension upgrade with a fully loaded canopy towing the BC for the long trips? Thinking of doing a similar exercise next year myself. Any advice is greatly appreciated. SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app
    I could probably get away with it - but I'll wait till I see how it all sits & rides …. then load it all up & put it over a weigh bridge to work out if it needs a GVM or maybe just a lift and airbags which I did in the other NP300 Navara . I reckon the Norweld canopy & tray might add 125-150kgs over the old tub and ARB canopy.

That said it's usually recommended that you do a GVM upgrade when adding a canopy - & I certainly know of blokes who were wearing out their bushes etc & eventually had to do something .

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi All

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I had the Norweld 3 door canopy fitted & I love it . Kiandra Snowy Mnts (2).jpgNorweld Canopy.jpg

In the end I decided not to go with a traditional 2 door canopy & also not to fit it out with permanent draws , fridge slides etc ….. While these look good & are extremely functional - it wasn't suited for how I intend to use my car.

My thought process was - basically I need the canopy for storage for when I'm travelling & because I camp with a tent be it on the mainland or some island - I pack my gear in tote boxes ( load & unload) . Tradie roofrack to carry the Oztent RV5 & tent/tarp poles

I did go with a good electrical package (Lithium / DCDC charger / lighting & a plethora of power outputs / USB / Andersson / Legacy / Cig) which allows me to run my Waeco / Engel or both & I have the ability to quickly connect solar …… so I've got that covered. Electrics.jpg Sleep out.jpg

The other thing is that I can actually sleep in the back of it when on a long haul or even if I overnight it at the boat ramp . I added a decent low draw fan to make it bearable on those warm nights & helps keep the midges away.

After doing all my weights & measuring towball downforce of the boat I needed to do a GVM upgrade if I actually wanted to carry anything …. incl a passenger. Ended up going through Pedders so it's all certified & designed in conjunction with Nissan.

All up - I'm stoked with the set up ….. the trundle draw & side boxes take care of the tools etc so I'm left with usable space & I don't have to load up the trailer like I had to previously . Best of all , it's still a wind off configuration which allows me to revert back to a tray back ute when needed. Additionally this canopy can be fitted to another vehicle at some future date. Norweld do a magnificent job & are well worth considering .

So that's been my journey.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Chris that looks awesome i was wondering why the fan than seen the next pic haha looks unreal i have never seen anything like it

If u sleep with the door open will u feel vulnerable to thifts flogging your valuables etc?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Chris that looks awesome i was wondering why the fan than seen the next pic haha looks unreal i have never seen anything like it

If u sleep with the door open will u feel vulnerable to thifts flogging your valuables etc?

Thanks Gazza

As far as security & feeling safe goes - it would be no different to rolling out a swag or pitching the tent . quite a few times I've set up a tarp off the side of the boat - pulled out the rack & crashed the night - last couple of big trips I've slept in the boat.
    This is simple with no need to set up a tarp to keep the dew off or it rains. My bigger concern is wildlife .
    The key thing is that you set up in places that see regular traffic - rest areas , truck stops or boat ramps . Last April I spent the night at a really cool spot (Caliguel Lagoon) near Condamine Qld Caliguel lagoon .jpg
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Wow that is a lovely location look how calm that water is, like glass

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Wow that is a lovely location look how calm that water is, like glass

Thought the same thing when I rolled up …… all up there would have been about 10 vans / campers …… this will become my permanent overnighter when I do my North Qld trips
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO