Thread: Urangun Pier fishing - would like some info.

Urangun Pier fishing - would like some info.

The missus and I are heading up to Hervey Bay at the end of this month, so I will have about one week to fish at Urangan Pier, is the fishing any good at that time of year there? I will be taking 4 rods with me to cover most fishing from light to a medium-heavy setup for a balloon float at night.

Anybody know what type of fish expect at that time of year? I know that is like looking into a crystal ball scenario but just wondering if anyone knew a general pattern for fish types for that time of year.

Cheers
    Ed.

Re: Urangun Pier fishing - would like some info.

I have heard that there have been some Squid there at night. I was talking to a guy there around New Years weekend he said that there had been a few Mackerel, Queenfish and flathead caught recently. The list of possibilities is endless there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was fishing there last week and hooked up big time in the first channel on high tide it was either a trevally or a mackerel,it peeled my 3000 tierra in seconds just when I thought I had it it screamed of hard and spooled me . I only had a prawn on it shocked the crap out of me .
    The day before I saw a queen I’m hooked up and diving around in the same place ,there is plenty to be had on the pier and plenty of herring to jig up also plenty to help you get it up with gaffs .
    Definitely drop into the tackle store near the pier he has some good bait and general tackle ,give it a go you won’t be sorry . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Thanks guys for the info, looking forward to fishing there, my last couple of times I fished there (winter) weren't that productive., so I'm hoping that fishing in the summer will be better.

Cheers
    Ed.

You will catch something , the end of the pier is pretty busy most days and some nights but the gutter on the way out can be just as good just be patient you will see. Matt

I have seen some seriously large golden trevally caught up there - they can pull a lot of string in a big hurry. Plenty get lost as they run the wrong way under the pier. Also various mackerel species - just be mindful of ciguatera, tuna, flathead and whiting just to name a few. The bigger fish really require a cliff gaff to land them but you can't stuff around - there is a groper (or at least was last time I was there) the size of VW beetle that is only to happy for a free feed that lives under the pier. Best bait for the pelagics as mentioned are freshly jigged herring fished live. There are yabbies available south of the marina wall but from memory pumping was pretty hard going.

looks like in the 1960s the peir had a dog leg at the end to accomadate early trade, what happened to it ? , was there a storm damage or they dismantled the end.......imagine today if they kept the buildings there and what they could turn them into .

Straight A’s a die these days .

looks solid , maybe red gum sleepers.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    just be mindful of ciguatera,.
    Yep, I caught my dose of ciguatera from a Queenfish from the Hervey Bay area, it was from a commercially caught fish, was wary of eating fish for about 12-15 years afterwards.

Catshark: The pier got upgraded a few years back not sure what sort of timber they used, as originally it was much longer, but I think it was set to be demolished due to it's original purpose of fuel and sugar haulage being no longer required, it also needed a lot of repair. However thanks to the public outcry the council took it over, refurbished it, but by that time several hundred of meters have been removed. I was there it when it was being fixed up I think it was about 1999 when it was finished.

looks a nice place, should be a few squid their at night like ol mate said, might have to take the push bike and bang on a couple wheels on the esky..

Fishos Tackle world report Urangan Pier ,Town Beaches & Creeks

The Urangan Pier has fired up a bit this past week, with a real mix of pelagics visiting this iconic old FAD. GT’s have been testing the heaviest of tackle, whilst queenies have shown at times (including at night), along with a run of school and broad-barred mackerel and the odd golden trevally. The pencil squid that are so eagerly sought-after during the evening are also a possibility for those venturing out the end of the pier at first light in the morning. Sink your jigs to the bottom if looking for squid at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums