Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I'm getting it from a nut and bolt shop Scottar i looked on the Bunnings web site but was unable to find any in SS sold individually, I'm using M12, 4 bolts per side on each cross member, do u know anywhere cheaper to buy them?

i just checked my receipt i am paying $4.51 per 1 bolt, 1 nut and 1 washer that is highway robbery i need 40 that's $180 in bolts holy shit!
    I used to buy mine from Ebay but I can't find the supplier to let you know. They had good delivery and the prices were good. I'll keep looking.

Pretty sure this is the place. It was 3 years ago so no guarantee.
    https://nutandboltshop.com.au/
    Last edited by Gon Fishun; 11-11-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added link

Gazza i used a piece of 100x75 for my draw bar. Got it from a mate who owns one of the brand name trailer places, he says thats plenty. Boats 2.6t. I used mostly gal bolts after checking the galvanic scale and price. Use plenty of a quality anti corrosion compound. Put a gal subframe under the i-beams. 6mths now, no sign of electroysis and just put 7000klm on it with no probs. Solid as a rock.
    Mark

Quick search found these guys - they have prices displayed so you should be able to gauge whether you are getting a good price or not.

http://allthingsstainless.com.au/index.html

Personally I normally buy through "The Bolt Place" in Capalaba - prices have always seemed pretty good but they don't have a website - you would have to call them. As to the reaction between the metals - factor a tube of sealant into your build to keep the water from getting into the gaps around the bolts - won't stop it entirely but it will help. The main reasons they use Gal instead of stainless are price, strength and the fact that stainless has a nasty habit of galling when you do it up if it isn't lubricated as the tension comes on - usually to the point that the grinder is required to undo them. I would also be thinking about sealant between any surface and the alloy or between any alloy surfaces.

Gon thanks matw i will have good look when i get on the laptop

Fish i have already pre set my i beams as to take a 100x100mm draw bar i really wanted 110x100mm but they dont make that size that is the internal size of the i beam i will have to shim it

Scottar i had a quick look as im on mobile hard to see everything on tiny screen seen there prices much much cheaper than my local store

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The main reasons they use Gal instead of stainless are price, strength and the fact that stainless has a nasty habit of galling when you do it up if it isn't lubricated as the tension comes on - usually to the point that the grinder is required to undo them. I would also be thinking about sealant between any surface and the alloy or between any alloy surfaces.
    Yep, use a power tool to do up your nuts and galling is pretty certain to occur. After using the grinder a number of times I now lubricate the bolts but still take it easy. Gal is what I've seen on most ally trailers. Thats why you'll find steel bolts are used in your mostly ally motor, its not a cost cutting exercise, SS just causes too many problems with galvanic reaction.

So u guys reckon go with galvanized bolts instead?

Gal bolts where on my quintrex alloy trailer as well . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    So u guys reckon go with galvanized bolts instead?
    Yes.........

I have a friend who runs a marine fabrication business that does work for many major boatbuilders.

His go-to for protecting against dissimilar metals corrosion is lanolin grease. A light smear on bolts, washers, nuts, rivets etc is all that is required.

Lanolin grease is dielectric. And natural, nothing nasty in there.

He no longer uses tef-gel, duralac (I was a advocate of that nasty yellow stuff previously, God it got everywhere!) or similar compounds.

I changed to lanolin a few years ago as he suggested and have found it works very well. Trailer bolts, stainless screws and bolts in my platey, everywhere.

I use the Ozspray lanolin.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks i will replace the bolts, What i don't get is if i am meant to use gal bolts on the aluminium why do i need to separate the gal draw bar from the cross member and main rails etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    I have a friend who runs a marine fabrication business that does work for many major boatbuilders.

His go-to for protecting against dissimilar metals corrosion is lanolin grease. A light smear on bolts, washers, nuts, rivets etc is all that is required.

Lanolin grease is dielectric. And natural, nothing nasty in there.

He no longer uses tef-gel, duralac (I was a advocate of that nasty yellow stuff previously, God it got everywhere!) or similar compounds.

I changed to lanolin a few years ago as he suggested and have found it works very well. Trailer bolts, stainless screws and bolts in my platey, everywhere.

I use the Ozspray lanolin.
    Good old sheeps wool grease, if it's good enough for breastfeeding feeding mothers it's got to be good for a trailer. If you have a fresh cut in steel or iron, rub in lanolin grease and it won't rust, amazing stuff. The pressure pack stuff is probably about 20% (I think im being generous) as good.

Gaz, because of dissimilar metals separation is still the best method.

you cant stop Electrolytic corrosion on aluminium trailers but it happens slower then with gal trailers
    fasteners are a disposable system that wont last the life of the aluminium components

i dont see how lanolin has any durability unless your maintaining the trailer properly and re coating them

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    you cant stop Electrolytic corrosion on aluminium trailers but it happens slowe then with gal trailers
    fasteners are a disposable system that wont lats the life of the aluminium components

i dont see how lanolin has any durability unless your maintaining the trailer properly and re coating them
    Get hold of some proper pure lanolin grease, not the spray, hard to find, it sticks like crazy and will last a long time. I've got some on my tinnie trailer that got put on in 2010, still there.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    you cant stop Electrolytic corrosion on aluminium trailers but it happens slowe then with gal trailers
    fasteners are a disposable system that wont lats the life of the aluminium components

http://www.woolube.com.au/page17.html

sticks like .... to a blanket.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks for the heads up i will pick up a tube of the Lanolin Woolube Grease when i can, struggling to make it to the steel shop had 1 hour today and for the rest of the week i have a heap of deliveries also trying to fix my other boat and put a new impeller in to it to take out for a fish