Page 12 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Good points Cat i am trying to get some smaller pieces of the 76x76x6mm square hollow sections i know Capral Aluminium where i bought it from only sells full 6 meter lengths at nearly $400 i only need probably 1.5 meters at most, im ummin and arhhin about the steel angle on the front the angle allows me to slide my fingers into the drawbar to attach bolts for a tight fit if i use the 76x76 alloy tubing it might crush from the u bolt when i do up the nuts
    I had planned on using two bolts for vertical on that front steel plate with either spacers top and bottom or washers i was also thinking about driving one or two long bolts thru the front of the i beams from side to side but unsure yet

Hi gazza,

You don't want flex in the trailer as this will transfer to the boat. With the design you have chosen you will certainly have some as you are going single axle with slipper springs I think. Tandem with rocker/rollers would certainly be beneficial but we won't go there.

The photos below shows the front draw bar tied into the trailer and you will also see that the keel roller frame is then also tied in so the trailer becomes one unit. You don't need what I have done due to your load being much lighter than what this was designed for but gives you a general idea. 90% of the weight on this trailer is taken on the keel rollers.
    Just remember you will be strapping the boat down to the trailer and if the trailer is flexing you will be out fiberglassing again.

From memory I don't think you are towing the boat far and on good roads which should not stress the boat badly. If you on sell tho the new owner may have different needs and this will then become their problem if you don't get the trailer right. But that's not to bad as for many years I made money out of fixing boat trailers.

DSC00830.jpgDSC00767.jpg

Thanks Brett i see your keel rollers bracing will fix my problem but i am trying to avoid rollers all together because of the cost like $10 to $20 each roller i am thinking of running two lengths length wise of aluminium right down the middle of the trailer i could possibly turn these into the bunk supports or have the bunk supports as additional bracing but i think i need that to stiffen things up in the frame so far its only cross wise other than the main outside rails and its relying on the bends in the outside frame for rigidness

Most trailers are "bendy" when they have no boat on them, you might be worried about nothing?

I think u could be right Noel its not finished yet and i may be over thinking things

found a shop online that does a 1800kg braked axle kit for $500 i am thinking about purchasing it, does anyone know where i could buy 1800kg (pair) rated galvanized springs?

the quintrex ally trailer with no boat on is like a wet noodle

the boat strapped down at the rear and then against the whinch post gives it some rigidity

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thanks Brett i see your keel rollers bracing will fix my problem but i am trying to avoid rollers all together because of the cost like $10 to $20 each roller i am thinking of running two lengths length wise of aluminium right down the middle of the trailer i could possibly turn these into the bunk supports or have the bunk supports as additional bracing but i think i need that to stiffen things up in the frame so far its only cross wise other than the main outside rails and its relying on the bends in the outside frame for rigidness
    Correct. Understand you are not going rollers and just showing you how I braced. You can certainly incorporate bracing into your bunks to achieve the same.

Whatever you do, the trailer is to support the boat and not the other way round.

I assume you are building the trailer yourself first to save money and then to possibly have a better item or have I got it wrong again.

Hey Brett the idea was to build it my self for less than a bought trailer i didnt have $4500-$5000 to splash out the plan was to build this trailer for under $2000 using the axles and wheels off my other trailer but those axles are to wide

So far its cost me about $1600, a new braked axle kit is $500 and wheels and winch post plus lights it should come in at under $2500 im hopping

yeah true after launching boat , i always looking how the empty trailer bounces around as i tow it .................. there was a dunbier yard in Ingleburn, they might source out some Gal springs, otherwise go the chinese gal ones......Correction i think all dunbier trailers are now chinese made.
    Check out HUNTSMANS products they are into everything trailers, tyres axles bits of this, bits of that.

Have looked around the internet cant source 1800kg springs best i can find are 1700kg they should do tho i will order them when i get more cash

Was looking to order a axle from here https://www.swiftcotrailerparts.com....STA50P73G.html but about $600 does anyone know who can do a gal axle with the mechanical brake ears welded on? looking to piece one together with what cash i have left over after bills, will likely use ebay disc and calipers there about half the price compared to Boeing Trailers or other trailer spare parts shops in Oz

tried looking for local trailer parts i was willing to drive up to All State Trailer Parts but looks like they have gone into only supplying businesses, i tried JPS Metal parts in Sydney they don't do galvanizing one shop i called the other week mentioned i can get a axle galvanized tip to tip than ask the galvanizer to burn off the gal on the ends where the bearings roll it sounded dodgey

any idea what it would cost to gal 1 axle? 1850mm wide

http://themehergroup.com/contact-us/
    Have a look here they may have what your after they supply to a few different companies ,they have a massive amount of axle options and heaps of other trailer parts . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Why not just get a plain axle and paint it? can't say I would be too thrilled about galvanising an axle and "burning" the ends clean, but then, it might be done all the time? I am not exactly sure that one heavy spring/axle assembly is going to be as good as a dual setup, even a dual slipper might be better, any spring place (that makes springs) will supply any sort of spring you want, but, they won't galvanise them, Illawarra Springs in Port Kembla will make them for you, they have been in business for a couple of generations and custom make springs for cars, trailer, trucks, trains and everything else you can think of.

Thanks Blue i am in Sydney it cost about an extra $70 for sending a axle from QLD to here if i could walk in and pick one up i would save some coin

Thanks Noel i think i might still go the separate slipper setup as i still have the parts i already bought i know its not an ideal load sharing set up but i already have the trailer frame built, i may go the black axles and paint it that saves a couple hundred bucks, i just called Boeing Trailers they have really cheap gal axle's but they want $100 to weld on two caliper ears and i have to supply all the measurements

i may try call some welders from Gumtree to see if i can get those ears welded on cheaper,Boeing's axles are only about $120 each which is nothing and i can walk in to pick them up, my welders are 180amp 200amp not a chance of welding to the 45mm axle

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thanks Blue i am in Sydney it cost about an extra $70 for sending a axle from QLD to here if i could walk in and pick one up i would save some coin

Thanks Noel i think i might still go the separate slipper setup as i still have the parts i already bought i know its not an ideal load sharing set up but i already have the trailer frame built, i may go the black axles and paint it that saves a couple hundred bucks, i just called Boeing Trailers they have really cheap gal axle's but they want $100 to weld on two caliper ears and i have to supply all the measurements

i may try call some welders from Gumtree to see if i can get those ears welded on cheaper,Boeing's axles are only about $120 each which is nothing and i can walk in to pick them up, my welders are 180amp 200amp not a chance of welding to the 45mm axle
    What sort of welder do you have? It doesn’t take that big of a welder to weld them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk