Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Yeah Ran the boats overall weight has been on my mind the whole time the Americans have logged it at 850kg but who really knows what it weighs untill it sees the weigh bridge i wont know i can only go by my years of towing experience the empty hull and trailer felt around the 1200kg mark as if i were towing a car trailer with a holden barina or my cousins mitsubishi lancer on the back of my Xtrail

if anyone knows of a way to weigh the whole rig that would be appreciated i can than calculate the trailers frame weight roughly from the amount of steel on it, icould buy all those human body scales and weigh it that way but it could be a waste of money too

my cousin is coming over tomorrow we are going to move the boat to the corner of the back yard where it will be jacked up, axles removed and than once the alloy trailer is done i will cut away the old trailer frame bit by bit as we slide the new alloy trailer under the boat that is the plan

i am going to paint the alloy trailers steel parts for now untill its built and it passes rego i will than get it galvanized i just just hope the mechanic isnt picky and wants the design changed hence gal it after rego

Ausfish Platinum Member

Are you getting a compliance plate issued? There is provision in the ADR's for homebuilt trailers up to a certain size to be self-certified. You make application(instructions are actually in the ADR document, from memory) get approval, then get a plate from a trailer maunfacturer after showing them your approval. No inspection required for it, you are just stating that you have built it to conform with the relevant ADR's. After that, get it inspected for rego. The inspection place will likely be looking at compliance with requirements for security chains, functional brakes relevant to load rating, placement of lights, size/rating of tyres. Unless it somehow looks seriously deficient in some basic facet of design, they really won't be critiquing that, IMO.

Hey Ran in nsw u just take it in for a unregistered vehicle inspection the mechanic will ask roads and maritime to allocate a VIN number they stamp this into the frame than i goto roads and maritime pay the fee and its registered

Does anyone know where i could possibly hire 2x 1000kg hanging scales i will try hang my boat from two car engine cranes to get a weight

Take the boat on current trailer to weigh bridge get weight. Take home remove boat and back to weigh bridge then you will have exact weight of boat.

A little bit of running around, but gets you the exact weight and no guessing

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Tandem slippers on angle iron incorporating the mudguard supports, just add U bolts.
    Weld the cross bars inside the I beams.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shakey yeah im going to call some tow trucks now

Fed i have a cross member right in the middle mate that is getting in the way no holes have been drilled yet but its where i plan on putting the cross member

I was just calling around seems no tow truck company wants to answer there phones.. i got a hold of one lady and she said my trailer is to wide at 2.2m wheel to wheel so i am buggered i cant get a towie to tow to the weigh bridge, i did just find the VIN number but the trailer has no brakes, rusty holes in the frame and the coupling is buggered to tow it my self

EDIT: i just bought 1400kg's worth of scales on ebay they'll be here thrursday i will grab some sleepers from bunnings too to weigh the boat and trailer

My rickety box of scales showed up today barely in the box i will get them out later to sus out, i came down with the flu yesterday so feel like crap will jack boat up and weigh it when i can

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Shakey yeah im going to call some tow trucks now

Fed i have a cross member right in the middle mate that is getting in the way no holes have been drilled yet but its where i plan on putting the cross member
    Gazza, the framework of the cradle is of angle iron and will sit nicely under your frame and should not cause any interference, I made an beer goghle error before when I said it would increase your height, it will but only the thickness of the angle iron.

Dig's it will be a complicated set up going with the tandem shared load spring set up based on how i have designed the frame already, when i weigh the boat and trailer in the next few days once i minus the trailer if the hull comes out to less than 800kg i will likely be going with a single 1600kg axle if i can go this route i have two locations for the axle to balance the load, if i go tandem i am stuck with my two axles in one position which cannot be moved to alter balance

These are the scales i bought just cheapies from ebay for around $12.50 they are good for 180kg each scale my mate came thru with the bolts also so have a heap of those to

Hull and steel trailer came in at 1040kg plus/minus a few kg's i rounded it off

Just getting rid of the flu that bugger hit me hard hot fevers cold flushes, shivering, goose bumps, head aches, running nose, flem, mucus, coughing, sneezing bloody hell the fever was the worse could not control it with panamax or nurofen just blowing the rest out my nose now, seems this is the flu getting around Sydney at the moment

back into the trailer build this week looking to order my new axle thinking about buying this one from ebay the seller is local to me so i can pick it up https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GALV...R/152255086147 so far i am i into this aluminium trailer $1500 this new axle will put me at $2100 a bit over budget i was hopping to have finished trailer for $2000 anyone know where i could get a cheaper axle assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Dig's it will be a complicated set up going with the tandem shared load spring set up based on how i have designed the frame already, when i weigh the boat and trailer in the next few days once i minus the trailer if the hull comes out to less than 800kg i will likely be going with a single 1600kg axle if i can go this route i have two locations for the axle to balance the load, if i go tandem i am stuck with my two axles in one position which cannot be moved to alter balance
    Have another look at Fed's post, if cradle is made like that it won't matter if you use for a single or dual axle and will be adjustable and will work on your trailer. I have had to move mine 100 mms for balance reasons, probably third time due to changes in bimini/rocket launchers, ice box seats etc.

I'm pretty sure you will be unhappy at some stage with your decision to weld them directly to the trailer.

Dig i was only welding the spring hangers to plates the plates than get bolted to the frame so the whole axle/spring assembly can move that is the plan for a single axle, if i went tandem they would have to be in one set location