Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

What does the engineering design tell you to use
    its not a option of guesswork its up to you know what's the minimum requirement to make a safe trailer

id go 130 mm personally, especially for fibreglass, how much cheaper is the 100mm , l forsee flexing and twisting if you skimp on proper hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Gon those 6.00-9 are rated to i think 2040kg total for 4 wheels, i dont actually know what my boat weighs mate i have done a little research on the boats american built name and a chart came up i got a rough idea of 1800lb's or just under 1 ton bare hull but who really knows i was also told the hains hunter 19 foot was a knock off of my hull it was just stretched that extra foot in length
    Gazza, it's not just the tyres but the rims also need to have a rating for the weight you are towing.

Yeah i will duck into the local Capral when i get a chance maybe tomorrow to place my order i'll go with the 130mm and try bend it just like i did the 100mm stuff

Dig I'm either using my old drive train or looking to get a new single axle kit with ford rims, the wheels are rated 850kg each 1700kg total is more than i need axle will be rated either my old ones 2000kg or a 1400kg - 1600kg single axle

Today i ran some 4 meter lengths of conduit just to get a feel for what king of angles i will be working with i laid the conduit out in the A frame fashion and took some degree notes i need to bend my i beams to 15 degrees

also remeasured my boat today and made sure i measured the hull this time not just laying a tape measure on the ground, to my surprise my booat measures 5.7 meters a little bigger than the original 5.5 meters i had measured

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    What does the engineering design tell you to use
    its not a option of guesswork its up to you know what's the minimum requirement to make a safe trailer
    I think things change for one off home made, I know a guy that builds one off trailers, and he just builds them to his specs and has never had any trouble with registration, the rego papers simply state "home made" now, I really don't know for sure if insurance could be declined if you have an accident, or if the trailer broke, I think this home made business becomes a fuzzy grey area, I have built a couple of trailers and never had any trouble with rego either, but that said, who knows?
    Last edited by Noelm; 05-11-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo

In Qld you have to get a certifier to go over the trailer first before issuing 2 certificates, they take into consideration the tyres, rims, axles, braking system, size of bearers and cross members and heaps of other items. They are pretty cluey on whether the trailer will do the job. My last one is registered as make - unknown, insurance could be another issue as they would probably want design specs, engineering specs, and if built by yourself probably trade qualifications. They do not like to part with their money and will find a way out. I had mine changed on my policy without hassle by supply g as much info as possible.

I do agree that some sort of measures need to be in place, but, I can speak from experience here in NSW, to register something that has either never been registered, or registration has expired for some time, you need to get a "blue slip" which is usually done by some auto rego people that do your annual "pink slip" not all places do blue slips. All you do it turn up with your trailer, with a weigh bridge certificate, the tester checks for brakes, lights, tyres and the usual stuff, now, to be 100% fair, I have never tried to register a big trailer, as in something that is going to be over 3T, but I have done a couple of dual axle jobs, and it was a breeze, back in the "old days" when places actually had employees and gov authorities actually had workers and supplied a service, you had to go to one of their facilities and get it checked by their people, and that was nerve wracking to say the least, but, those days have gone, and such places are just an office, with a bunch of seat warmers sitting waiting to take your number in line, as long as you have your correct "slip" and ID, you're done.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...w-trailers.pdf
    thats the nsw rego form
    https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl.../vsb_01_b.aspx
    has to comply with vsb1

amazingly mentions nothing in my brief read about fit for purpose or some engineering behind it, only mentions draw bar requirements

Yep, that's about it, unless it's a big trailer, you just get a weight certificate, zip over to your pink/blue slip man and it's all done, provided everything looks OK, you're good to go, I have never had a trailer gone over as far as engineering goes, it is just inspected, indicated as home made, or make unknown and that's it.

Guys i went out last night and bought a dirt bike Yamaha WR450F i had no funds in my bank to do a revs check so i bought the bike and done the revs check today and report came back as it was a stolen motorcycle

the most important thing for me to be doing right now is getting the boat inspected and HIN validated than registered to make sure i am the owner

Jesus, what are you going to do about the bike?

My cousins husband is a highway patrol cop my sister asked about my situation he said if they can find the original owner of the bike i can possibly pay for the bike a second time round or it will get confiscated and i lose my money

i was buying the bike because i know bikes like the back of my hand to get running than triple my investment to buy a outboard for the boat but it isnt panning out to well i am going backwards, i probably don't have a leg to stand on in small claims court as the seller only had a birth certificate to show as ID i did take a picture of it i also asked for a license but the seller didn't have one

really shit situation i only have about 2k to rego boat and build the alloy trailer

my receipt for the boat has every detail minus mine and the sellers address i called the mobile boat code guy he said i need a full receipt i said mate i bought it 7 months ago i than called RMS and they said all i need is a stat declaration and the boat guy should be able to code the boat

failing this i will scrap the entire boat and spend my 2k on another boat that is registered and start from the beginning i am in a really crap spot at the moment nothing is panning out

Holy hell, scrap the whole thing? thats a bit dramatic, remember when I said don't take on too many "projects" at once? sometimes things start to spiral out of control, and the more things you have to keep track of just trip you over, I wish you the best, don't know what else I can say.

Revs checks are about $10 from memory. Look like you got sucked in thinking you could make easy cash. If it’s too good to be true it probably is. Hopefully you can get it sorted.