Page 8 of 79 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Loads sharing is much, much better, with your setup one wheel or the other will often be taking almost the full load on that side due to our beautifully smooth roads in Australia and you wI'll be flexing those side walls more than you wold like. Generally you would want to build a separate frame for dual axle set up so you can easily move it for best weight distribution, things change in a boat and you will need to do it when you add gear or seats or eskies etc.
    Seems like research and development could make things a bit more costly in home trailer manufacturing, lucky in this case a wealth of knowledge is at hand because you could make a lot of expensive mistakes just flying by the seat of your pants . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

The boat should end up around 60/40% 60% over the front of axles 40% behind

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Ahh i have no way of working around it because of the cross member between the front and rear springs

I just checked your link Scottar i went with slipper springs just easier to install and the ones i have were cheap i think $70 a set from memory
    2 axles of individual slippers will NOT give you the same load rating as a proper load sharing rocker/roller tandem setup. Yeah it's cheaper. You get what you pay for. I had a set up like that on a trailer I bought under a boat, failed with very bad results. Not a fan of single slippers either-again, cheap and nasty.
    I rebuilt the carriage of that trailer with a proper load sharing setup, chalk and cheese on the same bad ( really bad) roads.

cheap and 2 tonnes being towed at 90kph isnt something i want on the road

none of the manufactures build the dual axle trailer the way you are currently planning

Guys my original trailer is tandem slipper springs they even sell tandem slipper spring trailer kits on the Australian market eye to eye springs are harder to get in galvanized have a look if u don't believe me

my boat will weight 1000kg 1200kg finished its documented my hull weigh's 850kg my springs are rated 500kg each individual spring i am running 4 pieces my trailer is over kill i am only going tandem because i have the axles

Please read this link from AL KO http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle-techn...ipper-springs/ my set up is all normal

Gazza, they will happily sell you whatever you want so long as they make a sale. As Ranmar says, chalk and cheese between the two setups, I've had both and know what I'd prefer. If your only travelling short didtances to the ramp and don't plan any long trips you'll get away with your setup.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yep, stick to bitumen, dont overload, shell be fine. My useage tends to be tougher--I do a heavily loaded 700 k bitumen trip every year that finishes with 50 odd ks of washed out, heavily corrugated track that can take 3 hours. Which is why I paid for a heavily upgraded trailer for the new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The boat should end up around 60/40% 60% over the front of axles 40% behind
    Weight wise or length wise mate?

Bare in mind that most of the weight is in the rear. Also take into account that as your car takes weight and the suspension lowers, weight is going to come off your rear axle which is going to change your towing geometry a lot. You should also be looking to achieve approximately 10 percent of your load weight in down weight on your towball as an approximate figure. You are cutting things pretty fine if she ends up balanced over the front axle with little weight being taken by the rear if you are calculating on weight. Out of interest, I ran the tape over my rig - one third or it's length is behind the centre point between the axles - two thirds in front based on length.

I'll go measure it now Scottar to check

Lets see if this post works again, Scotter what do u think about me moving the middle cross member between the axles? i have some worry in doing so just to move the axles more forward

i edited this picture this shows where my axles sit on the old trailer vs over the new trailer however the new trailer will have 50cm over hang past the last cross member using the bunks

Should look like this guys, i pretty much don't have any ore cash to change to a eye to eye spring set up i went with most of the cheaper products to keep within my limited budget i did look at the eye to eye springs early on but getting the required angles on the plates was a bit off setting as i had eye to eye springs on a old trailer about 10 years ago, when i looked for springs for that old trailer i needed a specific length and all i could find at the time were painted springs and that is what was on the trailer too but they were rusty and also the plates were almost folding the springs back it was a dramatic problem waiting to happen from the spring sag

It will be hard to gauge exactly where the axle will end up as you are making a lot of changes - the change in the boats structure, the change in weight of the trailer itself and the likelihood that the engine will be a different weight from original are going to mean different weight distribution

Actually the old trailer my boat is on now had the axle assemblies adjusted to balance the hull only no engine i think thats why the wheels are mid ship

I am thinking about buying two correct axle lengths for the new trailer and using my wheels off the old trailer or i'll buy a set cheaply somewhere

dont overthink it to much , your design is fine and will do the job you intended on your budget. i myself have moved back the whole running gear on new trailers because of motor weight or more tow ball weight needed. i can never have a trailer where the axles were in the middle.yuck.