Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 266667686970717273747576777879 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1181

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Yeah the 135 cigweld isjust a baby mig mostly idea for car body fabrication you can grab a $100 stick welder from ebay 160-200amp will run 3.2mm rods just do multiple passes

Been stick welding for decades, and my preference is thinner rods to get "suitable" current, it's OK to run big rods, but unless you have a decent machine, you don't get a good "run" done lots of TIG welding, both Stainless and Aluminium, but not a lot of MIG, though I am pretty confident, all that said, I am not a welder (boilermaker) and never have been, just done some TAFE courses and home experience.

I actually went backwards in learning i started tig welding aluminium as my first machine no welding experience and i was running successful clean beads on my second day outdoors too further progress was abit shady as i never learnt to use a foot peddle the machines i owned were just on/off switches so were useless

I than learnt to mig weld aluminium which i took to perfectly mostly welding 1.6mm sheet and nailed it but that was a cheap Lotos spool gun mig, my aluminium mig welding really opened up when i got the unimig razor 200 mig that welds 2.5mm aluminium like taking a piss the machine is that good it doesnt blow holes

I than took on arc welding by now my eye seight has gone to crap most welds lay down nice but i do have afew shit welds i grind back and keep going untill its done perfect, lots of different rods to use for a arc welder the 6013 on SHS/RHS steel tubing work so good as not to blow holes i found quality varies from manufacturer too i had a pack of Lincoln rods they were so hard to use i swapped over to Gemini rods and they were so much easier it was a world of difference

One for Noel and Cat if u guys want a nice stick welder heres what my $320 unimig 180amp arc welder done using 2.3-2.4mm Gemini 6012 or 6013 rods this was 8mm chain link to 6mm steel think i only used 70-80amps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its 90% the machine 10% me im half blind wobble all over the place can barely see the arc too

The problem with that is all that spatter and flux has to be removed for galvanising, it just doesn't stick to the slag, any tiny bits left will cause rust in no time. You need to grind everything completely clean, that little "crater" on the end if the weld will need grinding right out.

Ok i cant slack off on the trailer build it must get finnished as soon as this rain ends, i have a home inspection and im not allowed to have any unregistered vehicles on the premmisis

It's supposed to piss down for days, I have the seats off my boat getting them reupholstered, everything is full of water now, the console storage, under the rear seat where the fuel filters are, the seat behind the console, all flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    One for Noel and Cat if u guys want a nice stick welder heres what my $320 unimig 180amp arc welder done using 2.3-2.4mm Gemini 6012 or 6013 rods this was 8mm chain link to 6mm steel think i only used 70-80amps
    It looks like you need to feed it more rod rather than just dragging it, it won’t fall off anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It's supposed to piss down for days, I have the seats off my boat getting them reupholstered, everything is full of water now, the console storage, under the rear seat where the fuel filters are, the seat behind the console, all flooded.
    Its absolutely pouring and we are yet to see the worse down pour thats going to hit tomorrow

Yep, very heavy rain here too, been heavy for two days now, and it's predicted to get really bad Saturday.

My boat is well covered from the bow to the splash well i only have a 20mm drain hole in the transom to drain the splash well abit wet and muddy to jump in the boat to make sure there are no leaks or possible cracks in the splash well that has to hold a hundred litres or so before it over flows

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep, very heavy rain here too, been heavy for two days now, and it's predicted to get really bad Saturday.
    A bit off topic, but getting plenty of rain and wind down here at South Durras, to the point I wasted my time bring boat. Probably will not get into water this holiday. Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    A bit off topic, but getting plenty of rain and wind down here at South Durras, to the point I wasted my time bring boat. Probably will not get into water this holiday. Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    whats south durras like? another shallow south coast lagoon system ?
    tuross heads narooma ive been too a lot and have better luck in narooma then tuross

Nearly all the south coast lakes and rivers fish OK, but you need to think about it a bit, it doesn't matter where you are, with some thought you will catch fish.