Page 75 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1181

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Dont even bother Steve there are 8 of u grown men on block

The clubs bigger then that bro

People offer advice still that you ignore
    Goodluck To you

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hateful_Eight_Banana.jpg

Matt

Do away with the plastic guards then and fab up an aluminium one piece for each side.

https://trailerpartsdirect.com.au/sh...oaAtprEALw_wcB

Hey Gaz, what kind of MIG did you have? I am considering building a new trailer and might invest in a MIG rather than the old stick welder I have.

If he is on block how are you seeing him and replying? I swear you just love the attention.

As mentioned the mudguards are for 4.00-10" wheels mine are 5.00-9"
    If the mudguards are too thin why are you wasting even more time and drilling more holes which you apparently hate doing. Just buy the right size guards to do it once

Hardly rocket science banana man!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Do away with the plastic guards then and fab up an aluminium one piece for each side.

https://trailerpartsdirect.com.au/sh...oaAtprEALw_wcB
    I may have to look into those thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Hey Gaz, what kind of MIG did you have? I am considering building a new trailer and might invest in a MIG rather than the old stick welder I have.
    Hey Noel i have the unimig 200amp razor mig/stick in one great machine with gas it welds steel bloody beautiful, welding aluminium with argon she welds unreal deep penetration without blowing holes, i have a unimig 180amp arc welder too for stick and dc tig this machine runs really nice welds too i've never hit the duty cycle even tig welding flat out 180amps

Noel i have these two machines

https://unimig.com.au/product/razor-...-stick-welder/

https://unimig.com.au/product/razor-...-stick-welder/

You cant go wrong with the 200amp razor mix and the correct gas from bunnings for welding steel welds come out super smooth and clean

(I will add this just to clarify for the sooks i didnt pay $1200 for the mig i found a guy selling one brand new in the box as a warranty replacement "tree crushed the guys shed" i haggled the price down on gumtree and got it for $650 new in the box the seller replaced it with the unimig model with digital read outs)

damn i just bought a 135 amp cigweld mig to do my caliper mounts? wonder if it will just be able to do it

Hey Cat mig welding is from vague memory 40amps per 1mm thickness of material, brake ears are about 8-10mm you can do multiple passes but i think your mig will be way under powered, grab a stick welder the rods are rated to there thickness rather than the mig amps rated to there output

I ended up stick welding my axle pads and brake ears (mounts) i used what rods i had which were 2.4mm my rods were rated like 40-70amps i had to use 80amps and they welded great i laid down two base welds than a futher three beads over the top, its way excess but that sucker is not moving

I will be welding 3-4-5mm thick, I usually just use my stick welder and it's fine, but lots of cleaning up to galvanise, just kind of thinking a MIG will be better.

thought so . im still glad i got the mig though , for other lite fab jobs , ill get my mate to tack em for me with his beefer model

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    damn i just bought a 135 amp cigweld mig to do my caliper mounts? wonder if it will just be able to do it

It should be a piece of cake. I've used my old cig turbo 130 amp stick welder for that no problem. You've got access to both sides so life is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I will be welding 3-4-5mm thick, I usually just use my stick welder and it's fine, but lots of cleaning up to galvanise, just kind of thinking a MIG will be better.
    You can stick a wire brush on the angle grinder bunnings has both thats a wild wire brush i used that combo to clean up my spring hangers, the wire wheel spins that fast and agressive it'll knock all the slag off in seconds

The unimig 8s handy tho using a argon mix for steel the welds come out clean ready to gal unimig is just what i have there are some other nice machines Pro Craft (lincoln), WIA, etc..

Are u building a trailer for the Cat?