Page 20 of 79 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Crows i havent allowed for the cleaning money wise because i thought the acid bath would remove the rust, i may have to mix up some hydrochloric acid with water and brush it on to clean the rust bugger

Hey Cat flap disc takes a fare while i was at each welding spot for a good 15mins just prepping it so i could weld it the thin cutting disc done a better job than the sanding disc but it just tore the thin disc apart

Any idea what it would cost to blast? Its something i didnt plan for and thought wasnt needed bugger

Be pretty easy to clean it yourself, even a wire brush gizmo on a grinder will do it, or a flap disc, if the galvanisers are not too far away, take it to them and ask.

I already tried it Noel 80 grit flap dosc does absolute nothing thick grinding disc doesnt do much a thin cutting disc worked best but it shreds the disc i actually believe this steel to be high tensile because its so hard to grind and its stamped BHP steel

Gal place isnt to far away when i finish drilling i'll just take it in see what they say

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Crows i havent allowed for the cleaning money wise because i thought the acid bath would remove the rust, i may have to mix up some hydrochloric acid with water and brush it on to clean the rust bugger

Hey Cat flap disc takes a fare while i was at each welding spot for a good 15mins just prepping it so i could weld it the thin cutting disc done a better job than the sanding disc but it just tore the thin disc apart

Any idea what it would cost to blast? Its something i didnt plan for and thought wasnt needed bugger
    i also thought the acid dip took the rust and paint off!

When I had my trailer done they recommended that I clean any rust off and cold gal it as the dip wont affect the rust at all, the dip is purely for paint or old gal

Ah i may have to see a sand blaster, any idea what i should pay to have it blasted?

Do u think SX50 could work? http://www.saltoff.com.au/Product-Test.html

I could get a couple meters of pond liner and make a skinny bathing solution to soak the rusty parts in if it will work

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

JG this rust seriously doesnt grind or sand off its not like grinding 2 month old rust off of mild steel nothing like it

I am thinking it is really old vintage structual steel possibly carbon steel the letters BHP are welded on or something its not stamped or printed so it is really old steel

Its only surface rus

JG this rust seriously doesnt grind or sand off its not like grinding 2 month old rust off of mild steel nothing like it

I am thinking it is really old vintage structual steel possibly carbon steel the letters BHP are welded on or something its not stamped or printed so it is really old steel
    What sort of magical rust is it? Surely a grinder and appropriate disc/ wheel/ brush and some hard work will get it sorted.

Matt

Truthfully you should have bought first grade steel from the start then you would have reduced the chances of porosity in your welds which normally when you see on the surface they also go all the way into the root joint and do lead to weld failure and should be ground out all the way and welded again and also you would not have had to worry about sandblasting
    Dirty steel and rust don’t mix especially with gmaw and tig

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Jason i spent about 15mins sanding and grinding one little 10 to 15cm patch where i was welding it was not 100 percent perfect clean metal but it was a good 80 percent clean the rest i could not get off without gouging the steel

the steel cost me $10 for around six meters 4.7x3.8x3/8" inch material i originally bought two pieces of 80x80xsix mm and it cost me like $80 or $90 but i only had enough for 1 axle not dual axles i kind of wish i had bought the thinner 4 to 5mm stuff it would be way less on the gal cost and a lot less f..... around

Yep sounds like magical rust to me, I have worked with a fair bit of rusty metal in my time and have never heard or seen of rust as tough as you say. With a flap disc if you attack it the wrong way it will polish it rather than flick it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magical dust... ok, i will work thru it guys if im still up at 8am i'll head off to the shop for 4 of those white 10 inch plastic mudguards also almost one screw up i was getting ready to send the parts off i havent even welded on the mudguard mounts lucky.. will try do that tomorrow

Lots of steel sections had BHP on them, it will probably be just mild steel, I am a bit confused why a disc won't clean it off, it doesn't have to be bright, just clean, do it before you weld on the mudguard brackets so you don't have to get in around them, or, take it to the gal place and see what they say. Never did quite understand the weight business, you make something out of 1/8 steel, or the same thing out of 1/4" steel, it cost twice as much to gal? the surface area is the same, so the amount of zinc is the same, but it costs more!