Page 16 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

All depends on your springs. If you are using single leaf springs they are a must...…..as a mate found out the hard way. Went over a level crossing after a trailer rebuild and the axle slipped back on the spring destroying the guard but thankfully missing the hull by centimetres. Would have been an "exciting" event for sure. Personally I would weld them on.

Yeah i will weld them on thanks

You have to weld them on as they are spacers for the centre pin bolt on your springs so the head or nut doesn’t wear off and they also keep your axles aligned in the correct position on your springs so they can’t move forward or backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Thanks guys, This is roughly where and how the boat will sit going to use 200x50mm or 200x75mm sleepers as my bunks these will be resting on the cross members/frame

from the very last cross member to the back of the drawbar is 5.3 meters the boat is 5.7 meters long so there will be a small amount of overhang off the rear and the wheels should be roughly under the center

As you can't move your wheels Gazza, Maybe you can come up with some way of moving the bunks instead to get the weight distribution right - just need to be able to move the winch post as well.

It's a bit tricky as it looks in the picture with a outboard on there i would be close to the 1.2m over hang i should have put a little more thought into where i bent the i beams but shes done now

the wheels on the old trailer sit right under the middle of the hull but without a outboard on the boat so i'm thinking it may be ok

The wheels need to back further than the centre of the boat, all the weight is in the stern, motor, batteries and so on, but there is no way to test it, you will only know when the boat is on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The wheels need to back further than the centre of the boat, all the weight is in the stern, motor, batteries and so on, but there is no way to test it, you will only know when the boat is on the trailer.
    For sure Noel. Just looking at it, I suspect the boat will need to come forward on the trailer until it is almost in the "traditional" position with the stern just behind the last crossmember. If it was mine I would be making sure the winch post is movable or if that was going to be difficult, simply don't fit it until the boat was in full battle trim on the trailer - then work on the 10% rule of thumb using a towball scale to position it.

It could be an idea to move the boat forward a bit as you would ideally like the fuel tank to be over the wheels. If the weight was too far back, you'd think it wouldn't tow well either.

A bit like this Raylamp……

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    It could be an idea to move the boat forward a bit as you would ideally like the fuel tank to be over the wheels. If the weight was too far back, you'd think it wouldn't tow well either.

great example that video, dont want to get the wobbles up, also any protrusion more than a metre behind the rear tail lights need a reg flag to signal the over hang or constable keith will nick ya.....for a few dollars more.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    A bit like this Raylamp……

Spot on

I reckon the same principle applies to any 70's and 80's Porsche 911...

Thanks for the advice much appreciated, i plan on buying a winch post and U bolting it on i will be able to move it as far forward as the yellow line in the picture below

Both axles have been picked up i ordered 1880mm and there stamped 1850mm i had ordered axles with an extra 25mm just to be safe i guess that went out the window

surprisingly my cousin had a nice 6.00-9 wheel sitting in his back yard so i grabbed that cheering

just need to pick up some new spring hangers the middle type that is where the eye of one spring sides on top of the leaf bit of the other spring i think this will be te best type to get

also need to pick up a couple 39mm round brake ear mounts and weld them on, i have a bit on my plate atm currently putting a new clutch in the land rover freelander that is priority at the moment i will be back on the trailer shortly

Ausfish Platinum Member

Great video, but unfortunately some people will then say that more weight on the ball the better, which simply isn't true. People saying a minimum of 10% are just wrong, 7% has been shown to be a good number. BUT, don't try to reduce towball weight by loading a trailer aft, or you will get the results shown. I've certainly experienced it myself, with a tonne plus of fish and ice on a tandem, not loaded quite right, had to tow it 600k to market. But the one that sticks in my mind waas a mate who was passenger in a cruiser ute, towing a tandem with a load of sand/metal mix which had been shovelled on, and not spread forward. This bloke doesn't scare easy, but he reckoned he saw his life flash before his eyes doing 110 downhill, when it started....