Page 14 of 79 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Stay away from the rubbish cheap Chinese ones if you can, they are barely OK for a tinny towing short distances, any weight at highway speeds will see them crumble in no time.

Think i built the trailer a little to long trying to figure out how to shorten it, the drawbar might look dicky with around 1.5 meters space between car and front of boat

Why shorten it. Lose the overhanging of the bunks.

Can't move my wheels anymore forward Scott due to the way i originally designed it with the bends far back on the rails i am just hopping it does balance out or i'm not sure how i will fix it

the old trailer the wheel assembly is about 50/50 under the hull but this is with no engine and no fuel tank, the ball weight as it was was around 150kg took 4 of us to lift it on to the tow ball when i towed it home

Noel i'll send u a link to a place with those 9 inch tyres

I think the long drawbar could have its advantages - tow car is further up a slippery ramp when launching; you might be able to beach launch; and unlike my setup, you'd easily be able to lift up a rear door on the tow car when your boat is on the trailer.

Ray i never thought about that my new tow car is a Land Rover Freelander and the rear door swings out sideways rather than lift up so it might work too

fan of a longer draw bar, but are you thinking you may have more towball weight or some flexing.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    fan of a longer draw bar, but are you thinking you may have more towball weight or some flexing.
    Totally agree, I went for a longer draw bar but found with changes in configuration and weight etc I needed to bring my winch post forward 100 mm ( already got axles about as far back as practicable) and now can't fully open the door. Stuck a traffic cone on the Mooloolaba Pick, saves the door but more importantly my head when I'm un/hitching the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    Little worried about the flexing but i plan on adding two long pieces of either alloy or steel along the trailer and use U bolts to bolt them on should stiffen it up i am thinking plus when i add the bunks that will help too

those beach launching dudes have the swing out draw bar to get their reach, some flexing their off course , but unless your going far away, should be reasonable.

I have a short drawbar on my Kevlacat 2400, sucks not being able to lift the tailgate door on a cruiser all the way up without smashing the screen on a sarca! Leave it long if ya can

I'll see how it looks when im about to bolt on the drawbar that will likely be the last bit of the frame i do, the boarder collie in my pics i had for 14 years poor bugger got put to sleep yesterday i am shattered

Sorry about your loss.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by U4REEL View Post
    I have a short drawbar on my Kevlacat 2400, sucks not being able to lift the tailgate door on a cruiser all the way up without smashing the screen on a sarca! Leave it long if ya can
    Bungy cord and traffic cone, some nice big ones should cover the sarca and at the very least protect your screen.