Thread: Lithium Batteries (deep cycle)

Re: Lithium Batteries (deep cycle)

Once you go lithium..... no going back!

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

check this out
    https://sciencetrends.com/will-graph...ows-tesla-car/

I heard this batteries are already used in some small airplanes and helicopters

graphine is a wonder material. . all in due course. electric is very much future

www.moosemarine.com.au

There is some real interesting stuff on the horizon

check ouit this from the Royal Melbourne Institue of technology

https://www.rmit.edu.au/news/all-new...-to-the-proton

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    from what i've read allthough they cost more they are already more economical than AGM's due to their lifespan.
    definatley the way to go in the future for large banks when costs come down

lets be honest though ..... how many cycles does a battery really go through. I would be flat out doing 50 cycles a year for my Leccy batteries . .... so 500 cycles over 10 years . So even if you discharged the life out of a AGM you’d still get 4 or 5 years. I used a 200amp for a 54lb minn Kota and because I had so much amperage..... the battery was rarely discharged to a low DOD and so 8 years later and the battery is still good. Well maintained batteries with 50% DOD.... will last a long time , so the cost benefit may not be the be all. I can’t see a Lithium lasting 20 years.
    Where the benefits do come from a LiFePO4 are in the weight , ability to go to 80% DOD and the charge rate cut in half. ...... so in my case having 2 x 100amp Gels at 50kgs .... I could cut that weight to 25kgs and realistically run them for longer without hurting them . ..... the other option is to run 75amp batteries at 17kgs / pair and still have as much usable charge . The recharge time could be cut to 1/3rd making solar a real charging option or requiring only running a generator for 2-3 hrs . These are the really appealing traits that make Lithium worth considering IMO .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

One of the reasons I went with Lithium was I figured I could stay with a 24v Minn Kota because I should have maybe gone to a 36v but I saved about a $1000 on the Minn Kota so put that towards the cost of the batteries which were $1180. Yes the 24v motor will work a bit harder but I have more useable amps up my sleeve with the lithium.

TMC

It's a long video at 18min but not too bad with a tonne of info. Mick does the BASS circuit and has done a lot of the bream and bass boats for the guys.

I was toying with the idea of introducing another battery to better manage my power requirements and 120amp at 11 kg is more than suitable as a weight reduction and currently can get them for about $850 but the battery dimensions are almost identical to the same in an AGM battery (5mm shorter in height only). Now if it was half the width I'd be putting it in now as space just as much as weight is the big killer for me.

I guess I'll be waiting unless I buy a new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    It's a long video at 18min but not too bad with a tonne of info. Mick does the BASS circuit and has done a lot of the bream and bass boats for the guys.

Thanks for the video ..... pretty well sums up the benefits .

I'm still to get to the bottom of why the Sentry batteries are so expensive (bluetooth ???) ..... 5 year warranty . the premium paid is a few to several hundred dollars more. I've seen the 100amp for as high as $1900
    I found it interesting that they were promoting the use of what I believe is a motor bike battery for the cranking roll ( from memory he uses two back to back) .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I was toying with the idea of introducing another battery to better manage my power requirements and 120amp at 11 kg is more than suitable as a weight reduction and currently can get them for about $850 but the battery dimensions are almost identical to the same in an AGM battery (5mm shorter in height only). Now if it was half the width I'd be putting it in now as space just as much as weight is the big killer for me.

I guess I'll be waiting unless I buy a new boat.
    Which brand of Lithiums were you looking at ? 11kgs for 120amp sounds very light .
    You are spot on with dimensions - if anything they are slightly larger than a traditional deep cycle battery. I compared the measurements of a 100amp Fusion LiFePO4 against a 100amp Sunstate GEL and it was about 10% bigger but 12.1kgs lighter .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    One of the reasons I went with Lithium was I figured I could stay with a 24v Minn Kota because I should have maybe gone to a 36v but I saved about a $1000 on the Minn Kota so put that towards the cost of the batteries which were $1180. Yes the 24v motor will work a bit harder but I have more useable amps up my sleeve with the lithium.

TMC
    I did the same thing on a previous boat ...... not with lithiums but put a thumper 200amp AGM . I found that when I had a 74lb minn with 2 x 100amp AGMs - that I would pretty well flatten the batteries on a days fishing on the barra dams. I dropped back to a 54lb Minn with the 200amp AGM & never once flattened it . The most telling thing was that I had to throw away the 2 x 100amp AGMs after about 4 years . The 200amp I still have after 8 years & is still going strong because it has probably never been pulled down to below 50% DOD .

I've ordered a pair of Fusion LiFePO4s for my 80lb Minn ..... but stayed at 100amp effectively giving me about 160amp of usable power.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Which brand of Lithiums were you looking at ? 11kgs for 120amp sounds very light .
    You are spot on with dimensions - if anything they are slightly larger than a traditional deep cycle battery. I compared the measurements of a 100amp Fusion LiFePO4 against a 100amp Sunstate GEL and it was about 10% bigger but 12.1kgs lighter .

Chris
    iTech120 by iTechWorld from memory, normally $1199 but they had a special last week for $849.

Sam

Well , I ended up biting the bullet & ordered a pair of 100amp Fusion LiFePO4s which should be here in the next couple of days .
    These will replace a pair of 100amp GELs which were running the 80lb Minn kota - saving me 24kgs .... more importantly the weight is coming off the bow end of the Barcrusher which had a bit of a bow down attitude when at rest.

I ended up choosing the Fusion brand - as they are reputable & have been making Lithiums for quite a few years now ..... Yes they are more expensive but there are too many unknowns with many of the other options out there.

We'll see how they go

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi
    How will you charge the Fusion lithium batteries?
    A lithium battery charger or conventional?
    They reckon you don’t need a lithium charger with the Fusion.
    cheers
    Dave

Most decent chargers have a lithium mode, Victron for example
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndslair View Post
    Hi
    How will you charge the Fusion lithium batteries?
    A lithium battery charger or conventional?
    They reckon you don’t need a lithium charger with the Fusion.
    cheers
    Dave

www.moosemarine.com.au