Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Re: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

I had a Haines Hunter from the 70's that used unglassed and unpainted ply for the floor.... My mates Carribean Reef Runner has had numerous soft areas in the floor cut out. My Vagabond transom needed doing because the top SS seal had come away and for years had let water in but the floor was like concrete. All boats had flaws including the classics.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Hey Gford your powering thru this like lightning man well done, i aint nit picking so just take this as a general question i see where your laminating your stringers to it looks white it should really look like bare fibreglass are u possibly laminating to a paint? just wondering cause it may have premature delaminating at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    My Viking tank sits on a complete 'floor' like a coffin.
    Sweet. Pretty much my plan. It should take up about half the length of the boat. Going to make the other half into underfloor storage.
    Going for 75l tank. I was going to go bigger, or plan B was to keep the 60l under the transom and use 2 tanks, but I'm going to roll with the 75L tank and my 2 jerries. I like this idea as I can take the jerries out and put them in the car or whatever when I go back to work for the month. Less fuel sitting around in tanks.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Gford your powering thru this like lightning man well done, i aint nit picking so just take this as a general question i see where your laminating your stringers to it looks white it should really look like bare fibreglass are u possibly laminating to a paint? just wondering cause it may have premature delaminating at some point
    Think I'm grinding back to bare fiberglass. I'll have a look, but that was my plan.
    I havent done a whole lot of glassing in the stringers yet, just gluing and moving onto the next. Think I'll glass the lot after.

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Think I'm grinding back to bare fiberglass. I'll have a look, but that was my plan.
    I havent done a whole lot of flashing in the stringers yet, just gluing and moving onto the next. Think I'll glass the lot after.

Ah yeah all good i thought u were already glassing them in, dismiss my earlier question

Another good day finished.
    Had kids sport all morning, so an after lunch start. Got it all ground out and next stringer in.
    Gave it a good clean out, then put the rear half in, it was pretty warm so the resin was going off pretty quick. I gave the rear half about an hour and a half to get reasonably solid. Then got the front half in.
    My tip to anyone wanting to do this, good respirator and goggles.
    I had the disposable dust masks and glasses. Was shit.
    Got a good respirator and some goggles. Man its amazing what a difference being able to see and breathe can make.... not having to stop for a breather.
    Havent been coughing my ass off all arvo either. Still itchy as #### though......
    Anyway. Photos posted.

20180818_141302.jpg20180818_160910.jpg

Your not wrong about the respirator that was on my list as one of the very first things i got mine from Bunnings a 3M mask for painting (gases rom the resin) and dust particales i have used the mask heaps especially yesterday cleaning up the huge pile of talc in the shed, i did however venture on without goggles but those were soon purchased lol i had shit flying everywhere today in the wind dust all over the place couldn't see a bloody thing untill i put the goggles on

be careful when u sand old glass as it has MEKP hardener i think its a carcinogen will give u lung cancer as the fibers in the fiberglass can't work there way out of your lungs unlike the stomach where it can be digested

always shower after u do sanding too wash your clothes that u are wearing to get rid of all the dust so u don't carry it around the house for other people and especially kids to breath in

the itchy side of it is part of the game this is why manufacturers and boat rebuilders wear suits but man u absolutely bake in them

Loving the build keep the pic's comming.

BigE

Ausfish Platinum Member

yep, full respect for anyone that wants to take on a project like this.

Bit more done today. Not much grinding, a fair bit of glassing.
    I was going to just glass in the fuel tank supports on both sides, but while I was doing one side I kept stepping on where the other side would be. I thought if I do both, I'm just going to mess up the first one I did by standing all over it.
    Plan changed, ended up glassing the stringer in up past where the fuel tank is meant to go.
    I ground the floor out, but apparently didnt account for the plan changing and I think i managed to glass onto the shitty bit up the end.
    I'll have to see how it looks tomorrow, will only be 10mm if that, maybe sanding/grinding back a little.
    Theres a few layers of glass. 3 or 4 all over. I built up from the bottom, eventually cutting a big piece and going over the lot. Looked pretty tidy.
    Still rolling out bubbles as you can see in the photos.
    20180820_133513.jpg20180820_133508.jpg

Good thing about fiberglass over plywood is if u make a mistake just let it cure come back sand it back and lay another bit of cloth over it its very or giving, under the floor no one will see the repair anyway

looking good

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Good thing about fiberglass over plywood is if u make a mistake just let it cure come back sand it back and lay another bit of cloth over it its very or giving, under the floor no one will see the repair anyway

looking good
    Yeah figured I'd wait til it cured and see how it looks. If I tried to fix it as I went I reckon it would've been worse. Likely just needs a tiny bit of grinding/sanding. Gotta cut out the keel anyway, so I'll sort it then.

Another productive morning.
    Got the keel out.
    Gave it a good grind back too.
    If I get motivation after lunch I might get started on shaping the new keel.
    Pics attached.
    First one is just after ripping it out, second after grinding.
    Amazing how much easier and quicker it gets with experience.
    Ripped out a couple of through hull fittings that were bogged up. Guessing it must've had a toilet or something at some point. Be nice to get rid of those.
    20180821_103806.jpg20180821_115525.jpg

Got a little bit more motivation after I picked the kids up from school. Thought I'd cut the rear half of the keel.
    Once it was cut and fitted,I figured screw it, I might as well stick it in place so I can get straight into the front, tricky half in the morning. Happy I got it in.
    Pics attached 20180821_160920.jpg

All coming together now, just wait until the floor goes in, it will seem like it's finished, but of course it isn't! are you just going to flow coat the floor and try to "speckle" it somehow? flow coat is another learning experience, looks easy, but it's tricky.