Thread: Gold Coast Jew

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Thumbs up Gold Coast Jew

Did an arvo/night trip off the Gold Coast looking for Jewies. Have never done a trip specifically chasing these fish off the coast before so was a lot of hoping involved.
    On the water around 3:30pm Sat arvo and managed to get plenty of yakkas and slimies. Anchored up just before 5 and started to berley.
    First jew was on the deck at 5:40, 120cm and 14.2kg! we were stoked.
    Second jew was in the net at 6:15pm. 117cm and 14.05kg! couldn't believe we had one let along two of these beasts.
    Had a good hit but pulled the hooks on one and then had a swivel break early in the fight with another one.
    Third jew was smaller but still a great fish at 102cm and 9kg, a little over an hour after the second fish at 7:20pm.
    With the three fish in the esky we called it, but the last line in the water went off simultaneously....
    After some back and forth we had a 119cm model at 12.9kg squeezed into the esky and headed for home.

We had about 50kg of fish in the esky for about 2.5hrs fishing and a total of 4hrs on the water, conditions in the afternoon were pretty average but got better into the night.
    Absolutely amazing trip.

On a separate note, does anyone know any of the long liners working out from the seaway?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	117324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 2.jpg 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	117325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 3.jpg 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	117326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 4.jpg 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	117327

Re: Gold Coast Jew

Great job mate.
    Sounds like an awesome night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top effort well done.

Great effort and they will make a great feed. Well done!

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Nice work mate. Were you around the 18F ??

Hi Nabba,

Without saying specifcally, we wouldn't have been any further out than the 18's.

Just a heads up, not sure if the same applies down there but alot of the bigger jewies we get on the reef here off Moreton seem to be riddled with a parasite/worm through their flesh..

I believe that they are still ok to eat however it is not very appetising to look at and have found myself letting these beasts go these days!

Let us know how these go when you clean them, I would be surprised if the 9 and 12 kg ones are affected but the 15 - 20kg fish seem to be a common occurence from my experience.

May just be the area off the back of Moreton affected but curious to find out if it is the fish size or not..

Nice fish by the way

Hi Watto,

They all had the worms, the smaller ones I get in the Brisbane River are also affected by the same worm.
    The fish we got on this trip were affected by barotrauma, swim bladders were outside the mouth. Otherwise we would have stayed a bit longer and tried to get a couple more and release, we just weren’t sure how they would release.
    Interestingly I have also got some tergalin with the same or a similar worm, it isn't as common though.

Cool mate, interesting that even the river jewies have them too..

Barotrauma is a bugger, can successfully release if you know what you are doing and have the needle etc but i am not sure what the rate of survival is on those fish after they swim away.

Makes more sense to move away unless u want more to eat..

So you still eat with the worm on the flesh?