Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Thanks Shakey i have 8 hours sanding over several days and i now need to sand the primer in prep for the base coat

Hopping to do the base coat within a week i'll post pics when done

One side is now painted i need to let it cure than roll the hull over and start on the other side, i used 450mls of 2 pack paint

Cat im using Norglass Paints Aussie made im using there ship shape epoxy undercoat (this stuff sanded back so fast with the orbital and 260grit paper) the 2 pack paint is northane 2 part 2 pack opal white

I'll see if i can get a better pic this afternoon with no sun shinning on the hull
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty happy with this paint its been 2-3 hours since i applied the paint and the gloss has just popped i do have several runs in the paint but thats expected using a foam high gloss roller to do the job i also missed a small section under the outside chine i will fix that later

Boats not a crowd pleaser but im happy i just need to sand out those runs

Blog Entries

Do you have a plan to stick some foam and/or cardboard under the freshly painted side so you don't scuff or scratch the new paint?

Yup Funchy i will try source a couple small blocks of polystyrene this will be within the next couple of days, the paint was rolled on so it takes 48-36 hours for the runs in the paint to go hard than i'll jack her up and roll her over i'll attend to the runs when shes on the new trailer

The runs are only on the bow due to the foam roller being fresh and not soaking the paint into the foam

A bit of a plan changer im going to leave the two spots of timber that are holding the hull up tomorrow i will tip her over so i can finish the other side, once both sides are done i will put her on the trailer than tape off the two unfinish sections than sand, prime and paint those sections from underneath the trailer

Got her tipped over yesterday and sanded today the port side has way less damage from the crustations, it only has minor peppering along the chine there are only very minor chips and grazes, the starboard size was probably double the amount of work, the port side instead of spending days sanding all the flakey paint off i sanded back what was flaking and just levelled the edges of the oldpaint so it was smooth running my fingers over it

Tomorrow i will apply the primer than sand and put on the base coat

Love this Norglass paint it self levels so well

The hull is "tippy" but it naturally wants to tip flat and level i have to apply around 8kg of lift to getit up as in the pics so its absolute no danger to me or my animals

Kind of crapping my self with the boat on the ground, yesterday and today i noticed small ant like things coming out of my bathroom shower head from the wall they are termites

Styrofoam is a shit horrible product that will just brake up and go everywhere including into the waterways
    a old su for mattress or length of carpet would be a better idea

Re-sanded my transom i fpund it very difficult and hard going to sand i had to use 40grit on the orbital, im goingto primer tomorrow than further sand the transom if needed than top coat

Absolute brain fart of a day... mixed up my primer than realised i f.... up i forgot to repair the 2cm grinder cut in the strake and i forgot to sand two tiny repairs on the transom

Just a screw up, not thinking straight

I went ahead and laid down the primer as it was already mixed, i'll make the repairsand carry on

I also have no idea how i haven't gotten any dirt or sand anywhere on the paint yet, all the dirt under the hull is like sand its all moist but none has been blown onto the paint yet so im happy about that and the dogs dont go near the smelly paint

After i make the grinder cut repair and sand the transom than sand all of the undercoat and apply base coat i have to get this trailer registered so im hopping next week i will know if it passes rego or not

Getting all the bunk bolts, hydraulic hose bolts etc.. today

Just getting the trailer finished i rolled it into the driveway and got the bunks on i cut and punched out the high tensile tow hitch bolts and have new galvanised bolts to go in as i started getting a reaction around the bolt through the aluminium

Not much to do just paint, mud flaps, fix one leak (tighten buddy nut) put in the 4 new galvanised hitch bolts and shes going for rego

You going to fit a jockey wheel..?

This was a 4-5cm grinder cut 2mm wide i ground the area back than drilled the ends of the cut and it grew into this, that is ok tho i can back it with a sheet of fibreglass than fibreglass it from the outside

Just need to wait for more resin hardener to get delivered to continue

If you can access the inside, do the full repair from the inside, and the finish work from the outside.