Page 8 of 233 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

On an old boat, just use ply, done right, it will be heaps better than it was when new, plus you can get it from a hardware store.

I used 12 mm marine ply for about $140 a sheet (1200 x 2400 roughly). A penetrating coat of epoxy then two sealing coats prior to laminating the multiple sheets into place. Then glassed over the whole lot. Compared to how it was built when it left the factory I've got nothing to worry about!

I really want to use one of the better products like the Seacast as it will gravity feed into all the small voids and fill them however it is almighty expensive, the Coosa board or Thermolite is next best but again it will cost me $3000 alone just for the sheeting i am still umming and arrhing about it

plywood is dirt cheap but i really don't want to be doing all this again in 2-3 years its a massive job, i could dig in soon if i went with plywood however if i went the above composite options i would probably have to wait to save a bit of money

i was going to pick up several sheets of plastic coreflute sheeting and lay out my stringers, my deck, my flooring and everything i want than hot glue tack it together so i can see what the whole design will look and feel like than use the coreflute cutouts as templates to trace out on the plywood

today i removed the rest of the rubbish from the boat, another tip trip but everything is out now

i foresee one probably on the side stringers (not the main center and not the one closes to the chine) there is a deep gully right beside the stringer almost the full stringer length i think i may have problems gluing and glassing this area i will take pictures later or i will draw a diagram of how its laid out

found another one of those fittings on the left side thru the hull

can u guys see what i mean about the transom holes that is only around 50% of the holes u can see in the picture

i will do some basic paint drawings on my pictures of what i would like to do to the boat as in deck and storage spaces

Don't worry about using ply and having to do it again soon, done properly it will last forever, plus it's easy to work with, easy to get, and cheap.

Noel or anyone else can someone tell me how to join the two stringer pieces? when i done the BMD boat both sides of each of the stringer pieces were ground down 1 layer with a 90 degree square joint than glassed, i am looking online and the recommended way is to cut on a angle but get this the angle needs to be cut at 10/1 so for 25mm i need to make a angle cut 250mm long just seems impossible to cut that out of 25mm thick plywood

This is my layout i am going for that is if you all can read my dodgy sketch basically what i am doing with the deck is recreating the structure the half cabin had in place just on a lower level it will most likely be the same distance back from the nose which was close to half the hull length now if the console looks out of place i will build on top of the casting deck and build it into the deck so it blends in but so it keeps that central position on the overall length so it doesn't look out of wack

in the bow picture there will be the bottom which is the hull than there will be a lower level floor just above the hull skin this is so i can keep my main keel stringer short in height so there will be no flexing or bowing, than there is a upper level which will be the casting deck a fuel tank may go in the middle and like jackets and safety gear in the side storage compartments

the rear of the boat will have bulk heads placed between the stringers i will use several bulk heads as the original bulk heads were just a basic fence paling or 100x22mm piece of wood bridging the stringers across the top only, there will be several bulk heads along the side pockets on both sides above the floor to up under the gunnels i am unsire if i want to go completely sealed and foam filled pockets or if to leave them open for storage

the bilge will be left open in case i take on water over the side or by rain it should all run down into the bilge area where there will be a pump

i think it looks usable and should be strengthened a lot more than the original layout

I tried looking for this information a few times over the years and have just found it https://www.boaterexam.com/boating-r...-capacity.aspx mine works out 8 people capacity and that corrosponds to the label i removed

It also tells me i need a 125hp outboard motor

Does anyone know of a good book to read about boat building which shows the laminate thickness scales for boats? as of yet i have nfi how thick to make the laminates on the stringers/bulkheads and the transom

i have sorted my material i am hopefully going with a thermolite transom and honeycomb stringers and bulkheads donno about the floor yet but the honecomb is very cheap about $120 a sheet which i am very happy to pay for a rot free boat

tried to source some double bias cloth from china but no reply as to cost and shipping

Here is some light reading for you that might be of a little help. I found it very interesting.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ration-cc.html

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks for that link Chimo i see my path going somewhat down the same road as that guy but my gunnel is already built i did take note the poor bugger done the floor and stringers before he started to fillet the edges and joints lucky i already knew this from the BMD design boat i was building, the calking tubes and pre mixed putty would be very handy indeed i have been eyeing off some it is a 2 part epoxy paste so i will need to inquire more into its use

that guy also used corelite for the transom and he mentions its similar to the thermolite board i think that may be the same or similar stuff i was looking at on ebay its half the price of the thermolite board and i can drive 2 hours up the coast to pick it up in full size sheets on the trailer

one thing i didn't read were his laminate layers, what i don't know the stringer laminate if it should be 2mm thick or 12mm thick i most defiantly don't want to under do it however i would like the jump some swell on a light day to hammer back to the ramp there is a bit of hoon in all of us

my stringers only had one layer of chopped strand mat which from my readings CSM is very weak... my transom i have some sort of idea i had two layers of cloth over the entire transom with 5-6mm pieces of cloth laid over the sides and bottom so i will recreate this but beef it up a crap load

Most "old" boats only had a single layer of chopped strand over timber stringers, some had two layers along the keel timber, two or three layers done properly over timber would outlast a few owners, some just had cheap maple for timber, some used hardwood, my old Sharkcat had hardwood cross beams and hardwood uprights, with thin ply bulkheads and a Masonite floor nailed down with clouts, and untreated on the underside.

Thanks Noel that gives me a starting point, i seen on google everyone asking how many layer laminates there was no definite answer people were just being referred to books for the answers

i am still keen as mustard to pick up that roll of nice thick carpet (cloth) i think it could come in handy doing the transom, i could go with a 15mm foam core and work it all the way out with cloth and resin to my original transom thickness it sure as hell would be one solid transom with around 12mm of cloth/glass what do u think guys? this instead of a 25mm plywood core with 2 layers of cloth as it had

Not too sure if really thick glass layers would be stronger than thicker timber and a few properly laid layers of glass, but I am just guessing, certainly no expert.

has anyone mentioned building a cradle yet ?
    don't do it just on a trailer hull will ripple when all the supports taken out and impossible to get it back to normal

I am still deciding on the transom bring it up to gunnel height and run XL shaft pod would look really cool

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure if really thick glass layers would be stronger than thicker timber and a few properly laid layers of glass, but I am just guessing, certainly no expert.
    When i was calling around about the thermolite board i called these guys CCA Composite Boards and i mentioned i had 25mm ply transom theguy i spoke with mentioned i should use 19mm thermolite board and build up the laminate to the right thickness it sounded weird because i thought there were some structure in using the plywood but it may very well just be a filler I'm not to sure i need to look into it further, i read a little bit about transoms on big 28 foot boats they run 1/2" laminates on their transoms but that is a much bigger boat than mine

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    has anyone mentioned building a cradle yet ?
    don't do it just on a trailer hull will ripple when all the supports taken out and impossible to get it back to normal
    I did have concerns of "hooking the hull" as only half of my trailer bunks are touching the hull i have noway of moving them as the whole trailer is rusted, when i walk around in side the boat it doesn't seem to move unless i am climbing in or out on the front left corner, what kind of cradle would u build? something like a jetski trolley with long bunks? i am open to suggestions before i start glassing