Page 6 of 233 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Yeah there are options out there to level the boat i will see how i go first with gutting than rebuilding the internals before i start to lose sleep over how she will drive, i remember googling this model boat and i think it was wiki pedia said this boat was rated to 100hp it also only has a 25mm thick plywood transom so they might be right? the skins on the transom are around 5-6mm thick each side that would make the transom 35-37mm thick just seems like a very thin transom for such a big boat

found some really cheap fibreglass mat i was going to buy it's something like DB 1300gm/m2 plus 200grams CSM i have been told its to thick but just if i could use it... whole roll is $160!

forgot to add still waiting to go to the tip to dump all the rubbish, for anyone doing a similar project i got quoted for a 2m3 skip bin $350 where as the local tip said to dispose of the dry waste (fibreglass boat) $320 a ton minimum charge $60 so now there is no need to cut up that roof I'm just going to haul the whole thing to the tip as the tip goes by weight not size of load

Do the transom from the inside, I have seen it done both ways and from the inside is by far the best, especially since you will have it gutted anyway. Fully sealed pods have an inspection plate in the top to access the engine bolts. When I did my boat I got all my supplies from FGI? I think was the place, I will see if I can dig up the name, buying rolls of mat is not that expensive, and resin in drums is not cheap, but OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Do the transom from the inside, I have seen it done both ways and from the inside is by far the best, especially since you will have it gutted anyway. Fully sealed pods have an inspection plate in the top to access the engine bolts. When I did my boat I got all my supplies from FGI? I think was the place, I will see if I can dig up the name, buying rolls of mat is not that expensive, and resin in drums is not cheap, but OK.
    Noel the cloth i need is double bias 400 or 450 gram per square meter that stuff is expensive somewhere around $10 per 1x1.2 meter piece the Americans use the same cloth but with chopped strand mat stitched to the back they call it "1708 with mat" hard to find over here i have so far found one place but u need to buy by the roll i think i would need 3 rolls (they go by weight in kg's) this stuff is about $600 a roll too not cheap, i was looking for alternatives as in using heavy cloth so i could get out of a very labor intense job but i think i am tripping over my feet and i need to do it the right way of a few layers of lighter cloth, there are sellers on ebay which makes it handy to grab some really thick stuff when needed by the meter which i think will help

ISO polyester is around $1400 cheaper than the epoxy

the transom if i were to do it from the inside i would need to remove the back splash well cap there is only so much i can remove before i need to cut into the gunnels and i think the hull would lose all its strength in the ass end of the boat, reason i would need to remove so much splash well is i am a fat bloke so i would need to squeeze inside the cut out area plus need room to work on the transom for tabbing and glassing i could possibly try stand on the outside of the transom and work on it if i could reach the corners (short arms) lol

Getting a hand tomorrow and doing a few tip runs, cleaned the boat out today and took some pictures, that is a 2 meter ladder and i think 1.8-2 meter antenna i salvaged on the starboard side

I'm impressed this thing cleaned out is an absolute beast it is massive!

More pictures for those hungry picture viewers

Have tried to upload more than 5 pictures per post previously and had errors so i will do 5 per post

Forgot in my last post there is a huge tap going strait thru the hull under the seat that hole will be a worry for me in the future as if it leaks all my hard work will rot again

whats the tap? perhaps a toilet valve?

Called a valve Gazza and as mentioned, given it's location was probably for a seawater fed toilet system. Take it out and glass the hole up - won't be an issue if done properly.

If there is an inlet there also has to be an outlet for the toilet too.

Perhaps as an alternative to removing both the inlet and outlet you could build in a bait / captive fish holding tank up forward to save having to travel all the way to the stern each time?
    What could go wrong.......................

It's a weird one the pick up head is facing towards the back of the boat and i couldn't find any other holes, maybe it was for a vintage deck wash? the valve is inside the cabin below the seat tho there could possibly be a hole in the side of the hull i haven't removed the crpet lining yet i will let u all know what i find

Removed the transom cap it was one almighty mission a person who previously repaired it put resin all over every nut and bolt that extended thru the transom, i cut most of the cap with a jig saw so it should line back up closely before glassing

someone has #### the transom in two lines as pictured than tried to fill it with resin

got most of the wood out it was like thin paper the bottom and right side were soaking wet

It must be an absolute shit job getting up under the gunnel corner and the transom cap someone has just bogged a whole ball of chopped strand mat in a big mess probably hopping for the best, i might save my glass windows and pre wet out my cloth over the glass than layer it up under this location instead of trying to do all that on my back

It's a bit hard to make sense of some of the photos, they are kind of too close, but, it looks like there is some work to do, you would be surprised how rough some of the hidden work is when new, I know when I did my cat, some glass work looked like a 5 year old kid had been playing with mat and resin, it was strong enough, but damn rough.

Sorry Noel the pictures have turned sideways once uploaded, I spent a couple hours today cleaning out the transom and cutting the glass as short as possible i really wanted to grind down all the old glass back to a bare hull but i think it will take a lot of hours to achieve this and i may accidentally go thru the hull or close to it here and there so i don't think i am going to risk it

most of what i have left is chunks of plywood that is stuck deep down in the transom bottom channel and a bit stuck to the transom wall i may need to use a chisel instead of a screw driver

it is hard laborious work hammering away bit by bit i just put in the hours where possible

i cut two of the starboard side stringers back enough to do the transom i will remove them when I'm doing the entire stringer, going to be hard to glass that cap back on the transom i figured i am going to have to glass the splash well back in before i glass in the stringers just so i have enough room to squeeze under there to glass the underside of the splash well

got out the Bosch orbital to tear into some of the plywood stuck to the transom wall since the plywood is wet it just smudged so i went and bought a huge tarp to toss over the boat and hopefully let what wood is left behind dry out for easier removal, going to look on gumtree for a second hand wet and dry vacuum to suck out all the dust

one thing i am happy about the chopped strand mat the old timers used isnt anything like the stuff used today there is no itching at all no skin irritations either

also cannot take any further back pictures mate i have to stand on a milk crate just to take these pictures as the boat's gunnels are up to my shoulders