Page 5 of 233 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

what kinda size donk will the old girl need on the back ? , looks good anyhow now without the old cabin, already looking modern and sleek, like those good ol american boats

Plenty of us listening. Keep talking.

Noel that's what i thought too the hull and whole low cabin look to it looks like a Bertram model i got the Bertram idea from a guy on Gumtree who is calling his a Bertram/Caribbean, mine did have a couple badges saying "Caribbean" my cousin carefully removed one and took it home he mentioned i should put it on the front of the bow haha

catshark, i can't afford anything fancy or exy so will likely be a old trustworthy Yamaha probably 100hp+ maybe an old 130hp that is the plan i like those old Yamaha's, one of these boats are for sale on Gumtree with a 225hp Mariner on it

gunna thanks mate knew someone was out there

Doing some planning for the future as i am broke at the moment don't ya love living in a big city, looking to rape my existing trailer since it needs a burial the frames are rotted thru big holes and big splits in the frame my miss fortune, looking to salvage the axles, wheels, tyres, hubs and whatever else

i have been in contact with both a steel and aluminium welder

steel trailer, steel, labour welding the steel, galvanising will cost $2000

aluminium trailer, labour welding the aluminium, nuts and bolts as a secondary security will cost $2000

both of the steel and aluminum welders are the most costly bit of going a new trailer, labour for steel welder is $950, labour for aluminium welder is $1000

i am thinking the trailer is going to be the biggest cost in this project however that won't stop me as this is my dream boat i have wanted a boat of this size for a very long time

one other thing i am contemplating is raising the transom as a full height transom while im replacing the plywood than running a home made fibreglass pod not a full flotation pod justa mini one this should allow me to install a live bait tank on top of the splash well

any how its just idea's at the moment , hopping to have the boat cleared out in a day or two after this i can get some clear pictures of inside the boat and what's going on next

Let the games begin.

Good on you

This is what i would like the boat to end up being, good thing about building your own boat is you can build whatever your imagination can imagine.

I don't know nearly as much as some of the folks on here but if I were to get another boat, it would be on an aluminum trailer. My boat gave me no trouble and little expense but the painted steel trailer had no business being in saltwater. Yeah - rinsed religiously, Lanoteced and Killrusted when needed...it still disintegrated before my eyes. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

look forward to the progress reports. just wondering though you mention you might install a non full floatation pod...im thinking you might risk drowning the head as you attempt to get up on plane do to the extra length, with the trailer builds i reckon the qoutes were quite good in pricing, and a good old trusty yamaha sounds like just the thing, should be able to pick up a bargain somewhere.

Removed the transom caps and alloy motor plate check out the rot in the video below i think i counted 24 holes in the transom that is without the steps, transducer and speedo meter

TheRealPoMo, Yeah i really want a alloy trailer i just need to save hard for it, it comes down to affordability steel vs alloy both being the same price im all for the alloy

catshark, i was thinking about the pod but couldn't comprehend how a sealed pod works as there are bolts going thru the pod i don't really want to fill it with foam in case the motor dies and needs to be changed, i could slightly change the bottom of the pod so it acts like a hydrofoil but thanit gets finicky as my keep is U shape rather than V shaped however it is a big boat and may dig its ass end in deep i just dont know yet, something else i could consider are trim tabs

I really want the pod to work however i measured my transom today and its only 25mm plywood/transom which looks to be 5-6mm/layers of glass each side of the transom, i am going to take the approach of doing the transom from the outside, anyone have advice on reusing the transom skin? mine is cracked has exactly 50 holes drilled thru it which is bloody insane i think it may be more work trying to salvage my skin than just making a new one also how do i go about my BIN its on the top right of the transom it says do not remove i need to remove it to do my transom i have no way of transporting the boat to a boat coder to have it removed

are there any experts on here or people how know a bit about polyester resin? I'm looking at using the new ISO Polyester Resin which is meant for marine use s it supposedly has good water repelling capabilities just wondering how it works with double bias cloth?

also looking for advice on the double bias cloth, my boat has the stringer with chopped strand mate covering them i am replacing it with double bias cloth for ultimate strength but say if i went 2 layers of 400-450 gram DB cloth or could i just use 1 layer of 800gram DB cloth? would it provide the same strength?

Get a alloy stepped pod made boat pimpers make decent ones

going to need a 200l tank if fitting a two stroke

My 90 Johnson on a 530 cruscraft used 70-100l going to the dad’s off Sydney

started pricing the plywood, cloth and resin, poly comes in at 1/3rd the price of epoxy but i am getting mixed reviews about the resins some say poly on poly will delaminate after 2-3 years and epoxy will stick anything for donkey's years

need for the build

5 sheets of 25mm ply (transom/stringers)
    6 sheets of 12mm ply (floor + upper and lower front deck, bulk heads)
    100sq/m of cloth (still looking into the best most robust option)
    100kg's of resin or more
    glue and fairing powders

cost about $3000 or less

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Get a alloy stepped pod made boat pimpers make decent ones

going to need a 200l tank if fitting a two stroke

My 90 Johnson on a 530 cruscraft used 70-100l going to the dad’s off Sydney
    Hey Steve i was planning on going with a completely sealed floor filled with foam than glassed down, was thinking of placing 2x 45 litre plastic tanks under the splash well for portability, I'd like to do quiet a few runs to the closes fad's first before i mission beyond not a very big ocean going person just yet i venture out around 5km's with mates on good days and early mornings that is why i wanted a big boat for safety i think i would much rather run up and down a long the coast line in search of the pelagic fish than head out to be eatin by a mako or great white lol

two tonne of boat with a under powered 2 stroke on the back is going to drink fuel, thi sthing will need 175hp +

90kg of fuel down the back along with an outboard hung out on a pod will only make it more bum heavy and likely to dunk the power head
    need that fuel weight midship up under the console

Steve once shes finished and i have some cash to buy a engine i may get the boat inspected by a qualified person and ask there opinion on rated HP as i have no clue i have been a alloy boat guy for many years i am only now getting back into the glass boats

if something like this pops up at the time i will snap it up tho https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-2...19.m1438.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Steve once shes finished and i have some cash to buy a engine i may get the boat inspected by a qualified person and ask there opinion on rated HP as i have no clue i have been a alloy boat guy for many years i am only now getting back into the glass boats

if something like this pops up at the time i will snap it up tho https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-2...19.m1438.l2649

just watch weight distribution if you put those tote tank sunder the splash well you will hate the boat