Page 4 of 233 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

best way to get something like that home is to get a 2 day permit roadworthy, check tyres and bearings and haul that yourself, a semi trailer could pick it up but might cost around $750-1250 hard to say . and use the best diesel 4wd you can get ya hands on .

My xtrail is manual rated 2000kg towing auto is 1750kg

I have a couple local boats i am looking at there is a 3rd but its a hull only 6.5m on a single axle trailer which i think is not the proper rig it should be dual axle for that size im thinking old mate wants 3k a bit of cash for what it is

The other two are much cheaper 5.5m boats with that nice ocean going deep hull u can tell by how deep the transoms are they just have a lot of appeal as a ocean going boat

Trying to find one with level gunnels a lot of the older boats have a rise in the rear half of the gunnel that follows along and joins the cabin making it a fair bit more work cutting it out reinforcing than glassing it flat

It sounds easy to just chip the top off do abit of glassing throw in a console but there needs to be a lot more thought put into it being 5m+ boats there going to need alot more above floor bulk heads vertically under the gunnels than ots going to need a very sturdy side pannel pockets the full length i may go from the floor to the gunnel front to back, the beds up front will be trimmed levelthan a thick peice of ply glassed down as a bow casting plat form and to give a lot of rigidness to the bow, the gunnels will be widened for added strength

Ganna be a lot of work but thats why i have allocated 5 years for the build

Trying to negotiate a price on this boat, looks to be 5.5-5.7 meters hopefully i can seal a deal

ive seen enough friends rebuilds to know what the cost of a rebuild is
    it all adds up quickly

Anyone know the Bertram Caribbean 5.5m hulls enough to comment? I done a search one guy was doing a side console conversion in 2011 but no pictures came up

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

This is the boat i dont know what its current state is only that its entirely gutted and rotted, have been told the transom and hull shell is ok im kind of sitting on the fence do i or dont i, its $1000... and its currently a mooring minder

Attachment 116966Attachment 116967

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

So i inspected the boat fella's and i was impressed with the hull shes a absolute giant around 5.7-5.8m and at lease 2.3-2.4m wide this is a perfect offshore going vessel the hull is very deep actually the boat was tied up on a sand bank at the back of someones property, the stringers are pretty much rotted away someone has either replaced the stringers or done one really cheap job and used 1 layer of chopped strand mat, there is no floor that was rotted and pulled up

there is minimal work to gut the rest of the cabin and seats, the cabin should lift off on this model and from what i could see looks like its just screwed down so i don't think the cabin adds much strength however the two front cabin walls are full cabin height bulkheads so i will put in a deck to the same length as the bulkheads for structure

going to pick it up this weekend, i could not find anything that came anywhere near the size of this boat

Maybe I'm talking to my self here? i get that feeling, anyhow here is an update my cousin came over jumped in and started banging, smashing, ripping and tearing it apart with very minimal damage to the hull

i was suprised this old girl had 5mm thick glass windows, the 4 sliding side windows were perspex, the cabin plus the perspex upper windscreen weighed at lease 150kg the glass alone weight a bit

i am now seeing its a huge job glad i gave my self a unlimited time all though i would like it done sooner rather than later i just need to find the motivation

here is how it sits now, all the left over rubbish is still inside the hull i plan on cutting it up and throwing it in a bunnings skip bin along with the other boat that i am cutting up right now

transom is first on the list to be removed and repaired, i looked up my options of doing a seacast transom but it was going to be to costly i need 15gallons just for the transom, i than looked up Coosa Board but seeing the USA price tag of $400 for 1x 25mm sheet our Aussie Dealer will want a mint for the Coosa Boards soi am only left with a plywood reinforced boat option

I'm listening Gazza and I'm sure others are. You go girl.
    If nothing else you'll have a diary of the project and maybe help someone else out later on.
    Keep it coming.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I was actually going to add depth to the gunnels but i think if i reinforce lengthwise from the floor up i may be able to getaway with it seeing as the stringers add strength low down in the hull, the long horizontal pocket and casting deck all tied together should add mid strength and the gunnels should add upper strength that is my theory

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    You go girl.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Right on sister!!

looks like your gettin into it, whats the boat model? savage surveyor perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    looks like your gettin into it, whats the boat model? savage surveyor perhaps.
    Hey mate i believe its a Bertram made model called Caribbean next to no information out there on this model she is 18ft or 5.5m, there is a wealth of information on her Caribbean sister the 23.5ft model, so far i have only came across 2 other boats like it on Gumtree

It does havea sticker on the front gunnel saying "Baron" i googled Caribbean Baron but a different later model came up

The cabin does look very Bertram like, but I don't remember a Bertram/Caribbean that looks like that hull, maybe member BM might see this, he is a bit of a Bertram man.