Page 3 of 233 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Ahh i didnt know that Scottar i will have to do some searching
    Dual axle you can do 4.5 ton with no issue. You just need the correct rating of axle, hubs and tyres. My trailer is dual axle and is rated 2.2 tons per axle.

Gazza as you have said you would then need a vehicle with a high tow capacity which is something to keep away from if you don't want to spend the money. If you are converting a good size boat into a CC it should work out ok for you. You could always go a aluminum trailer if weight became a problem.

I was looking at spending $60,000 on my re-power and look where I ended up. I am not the lone ranger either as I found out from some of the other gents on the forum with many of us starting off with just a quick cut and tuck and ending in a full re-build.

Yeah i dont want to blow the build out of preportion cost wise i dont need anything state of the art or all high end quality other than my labour work

I would like to keep the ex trail it would save another investment but i know i'm limited to the 2 ton towing limit so it would be a fine line seeing as a tandem trailer would weigh 500kg that is a good portion of my max limit

gazza I don't think you will make it even with a aluminum trailer with a 23 ft fiberglass boat even as a CC and getting it below 2 ton. Certainly something to think about before you choose which project boat to get.

What would u suggest Brett 19-20ft boats? i would settle for a 21 footer but i have no idea on how much they weigh it's a hard one to find information online unless someone has set that particular model over to the weigh bridge and noted it on a forum like this

i went down the road today to a guy who usually sells a boat or two on a farm he/she lives on a main road i drove past and seen what looks to be a 19-20 foot half cabin glass boat, no motor, no trailer rolled off onto the grass or possibly tires it was around the side of the property, nice deep hull it would make a great conversion very beamy possibly 2.3m wide

i may go see if they want to sell it

I went outside to my 4.5m (15ft) runabout that i just bought and laid down a tape measure next to it i would be quiet happy with a 6m (20ft) boat i didnt actually think 24ft was that long it possibly wouldnt fit in my drive way

My biggest glass boat was 5.6m (18.5ft) but i can hardly remember it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    What would u suggest Brett 19-20ft boats? i would settle for a 21 footer but i have no idea on how much they weigh it's a hard one to find information online unless someone has set that particular model over to the weigh bridge and noted it on a forum like this

i went down the road today to a guy who usually sells a boat or two on a farm he/she lives on a main road i drove past and seen what looks to be a 19-20 foot half cabin glass boat, no motor, no trailer rolled off onto the grass or possibly tires it was around the side of the property, nice deep hull it would make a great conversion very beamy possibly 2.3m wide

i may go see if they want to sell it
    gazza 19-20 ft is getting where you need to be for the weight. Depending on how the boat was built (materials used) a 20 ft could weigh more than you want also. To give you some idea of a 23 ft I had my boat over the weighbridge and BMT came in at 4 ton. The trailer I built is heavy duty and is 1200 kg. So the boat on its own was 2800 kg and that was with no batteries, only 200 liters of fuel in the tank and no water. I also had about 40 kg of motor removed. Just the boat hitting the water without people she will be over 3 ton.

Yep, I would say that very few genuine 20 foot, offshore style, glass rigs weigh less than 2 tonne on the trailer loaded ready to go. Once they are rebuilt - extra glass added as most do, they may well be even heavier than the day they rolled out of the factory.

Yeah i hear what your saying, when i towed the new 15 footer home the other day the xtrail done it piss easy felt as if it weighed 750kg however i towed my cousins 17-18 foot fibreglass boat and it was incredibly heavy it was just a basic skinny half cabin but i suspect it were filled with water

I have towed several cars with the xtrail, mitsubishi lancer vrx, two holden barinas, a car trailer carrying the boss hog 17-18 foot glass boat and trailer on top of the car trailer

gazza you can pull a fair load with most correctly set up tow vehicles and probably far more than your manufactures recommendations. Staying with in the regulations so you have insurance is the tricky part.

Yeah i guess i have to take a gamble when finding the new project as i doubt the seller would let me swing by the local weigh bridge, there is very little information out there on what older model boats weigh

This boat really peeks my interest not a cruiser but a sea going half cabin 18 footer if there is no rot something like this is almost converted the cabin is a very basic design with all the gunnel already done for a CC conversion there would be minimal fibreglassing to the gunnels other than adding side horizontal strength floor to gunnels, it is quiet the mission to pick it up tho being in Sydney

front seating area can be glassed into a casting platform plus adding strength to the bow

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pake...oat/1177369863

would something like this be on or under 2 ton? (converted)

Towing capacity of x trail is 1500kgs
    Cheers
    Ray

I had 3. They were 2000kg.

Current model probably lower tho.

Actually of the 8 or so lease cars I had over 20 years, the xtrails (all 3) were the only ones that had absolutely no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Depends on the model and transmission and motor i have t31diesel auto and from memory it is only 1400kg but manual is 1800.
    Cheers
    Ray

looking at the trailer id say it has mechanical brakes so it will be 2T or under, removal of the canaopy windscreen will save weight, and your right when you say their is minimal work needed to redo the gunnels, just pop that ugly dated cabin off and wack in a centre console, fresh lick of paint and a TLC here and there and bingo head turner at the ramp... theres a bit off age to the ol girl looking at the shape of the windscreen and the clinker planks and the very flat deadrise. bang on a two banger that some one is looking to get rid off in order to go fourstroke and walla..... im starting to see a lot of these big centre consoles at moment but they are the imported yank jobs big $$$.