Page 2 of 233 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Should just be able to do your own builders plate as a home builder. Sure it won't have BM's name on it but there are plenty of homemade ally rigs kicking around - can't see why this would be any different

Going to check out a boat tomorrow, 18 footer not quiet the 22-24 foot i wanted but it looks ok so far will see how it pans out

Hi Brett The guy that bought the Caribbean has ask me to keep it in my shed until he gets his shed built paying me storage, He is going to put a new V6 complete Volvo Dash to prop unit in it

Went and looked at the boat mentioned today upon inspection someone has already ripped up the floor in the bow section and it was rotted so good to say the boat was rooted from front to back, had it been the initial 18ft as mentioned i probably would have bought it home but it looked small probably 14ft 15ft max

still trying to look for a bigger 21ft+ boat anyone know where to look? there are some on gumtree but they don't come with a trailer

I've just finished the transom in a 16ft Cruise Craft. It took me six months of spare time in between life with a young family and two parents that work full time. It was a means to an end to get back on the water. Price wise it was worth doing myself rather than paying someone. Timewise it was a long period of missed boating and sweating in the shed with less than impressed wife and kids. Be honest with yourself, your abilities and your aspirations!

CT if I found a cruiser I was allowing 5 years but not limited to for the rebuild and conversion, I had another boat to use while a main project went underway otherwise 5 years without getting sea legs I would be lost

I still want to find a cruiser I live near some city/rural areas so I may go for a drive way day and check out what people have rotting away on there farms

these boats are going to be over 2 tonne finished
    there's 8-10 k just for a trailer
    going to need 150hp plus for a outboard
    still going to be a 30-40k rebuild cost

I have not estimated the cost of the rebuild of a old model glass boat but i don't think its going to cost 40k, some i have looked at come with motors maybe an old donk but still a motor i can use and possible trade later, all labour will be on me and over 5 or so years, they will come with a trailer i don't need anything fancy like a $10,000 aluminium trailer or a Mercury 300hp 2018, by adding new gear to an old boat just increases its resale value but u still have that old boat at the end of the day

anyone had a boat interstate inspected and shipped to you,what would the cost be like? SA-SYD or even Murry Bridge - SYD?

there are these two old girls on Gumtree

i think they would come in close to 2T stripped of any inboard motors and the heavy cabins removed,whats everyone's opinion?

24ft and 26ft either would make a nice big ocean going centre console

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I have not estimated the cost of the rebuild of a old model glass boat but i don't think its going to cost 40k, some i have looked at come with motors maybe an old donk but still a motor i can use and possible trade later, all labour will be on me and over 5 or so years, they will come with a trailer i don't need anything fancy like a $10,000 aluminium trailer or a Mercury 300hp 2018, by adding new gear to an old boat just increases its resale value but u still have that old boat at the end of the day

Old boats are a funny one. Pick the wrong model, don't quite get the finish right (basically showroom is required these days with the level of fit out being achieved by plenty of home handy persons) or simply over capitalize and you will do your money - not increase the value......I should know. My last tinnie was fitted out to the eyeballs. When it came time to sell it I couldn't even get a phone call until the price dropped to well less than half of what it owed me. At the end of the day it was still a 20 year old boat and as it didn't present as brand new, the sale price reflected that.

$40K for a rebuild - depending on your wanted level of finish I suspect would be pretty easy to clock up those numbers. You're going to want at least a 200Hp motor IMO - second hand $10 - 15K unless you get an old gas guzzler - which will be worthless as a trade or for resale, $1-2K for trailer repairs/ modifications - most of the old vintage trailers won't have the required braking set ups for a 2T plus rig (if they do they will probably cost more to start with, Rewire - $1-3K depending on finish, Electronics $1K for a really basic system - if you want something better $3-5K or more. Pretty much half way there being somewhat conservative and haven't touched on glass work or added an "unforeseen" factor (there is always something that pops up) - and if you are still driving the X-Trail (think that was you Gazza) you will need to upgrade that too. Go in eyes wide open mate.

gazza it sounds like you have done some homework on the cost of re-building something of that size. Putting the hours aside as you will do the work yourself the cost of the hardware as Scott has touched on can destroy your budget in a heart beat.

Just my figures on what I have spent may give you a shock. I still stand bye what I have said "that you won't get a better boat once you finish" due to all the free labour and also you find you will have it set up just how you want. In my case I am very much going to keep the boat and have no intentions of selling for a couple of reason. First this will be my last large boat and as long as my ass points to the ground no one would ever buy it for what I want. I am actually going to give it to my Son when I am to old or stupid to use it. I think the later has already arrived.

He is what I have spent so far and what I believe I still have too.

Original cost of boat with no trailer $35,000.
    Built new trailer myself $ 12,500 (4.2 ton capacity)
    New engine/ drive, steering $50,000
    Re- wire and new electrics $17,000
    New storm curtains and all the other shits and bits like rope, epirb etc $8,000
    Fiberglass,nuts and bolts $ 5,000

Total $127,500

Ok if I was to get all that I am doing in a new boat I don't think I would get any change out of $200,000.

Would I do it again - Not on your life. but hell it's good fun.

Looking forward to your post as you get in to it. I just hope you can do it cheaper than my project. Forgot to add the purchase of tow vehicle required and also the shed I built to house this project. I am lucky I have a good wife and she doesn't even fish.

Thanks for the replies everyone, when i find a boat it will likely be poly so poly resin is cheap and easy to come by as for the glass i have a good supplier just around the corner i last purchased a full 1.2m wide roll of double bias 450g for $270 i see the price is now $600 haha people have caught on, plywood is realitivly cheap

I will do most work over the colder months because of the resin rush

Yeah thats me with the xtrail tow limit is 2 ton i dont mind upgrading to a pajero 2.5t but anything over is 3.5t and cost a bit of moolah just for people to scratch it at the shopping centre

3.5t trailers are also triple axles and a crap load more money so anything 2.5t and under will be ideal, i seen a 26ft harley on google which was just under 3.5t however the ones i have looked at are only dual axle so should be under the limit of 2.5t

Electronics is not a great deal financially wise no big 12 inch screens here i will be happy with a basic gps/fish finder etc...

Will likely order lighting and electrical products from overseas

A older motor will be ok even the gas guzzlers, you gotta burn gas to make horse power however i'll likely have 4-8 people on board everyone chucks in for fuel

You can do 3.5 on dual axle Gazza. Mines only a 6 metre rig and it's trailer is 2.8 rated on duals. My BIL's is pretty much right on 3.5 on duals (in Qld at least).

Ahh i didnt know that Scottar i will have to do some searching