Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Didn’t you stop them short of the floor ?when you were discussing side pockets 4000 posts ago

Never mind found the photo you did go to the floor

just tip it on its side be the easiest and quickest way to do it if you don’t want to go all the way over

Got a perminant engine hoist so no worring about hiring and stressing about returning it

Hopping to remove the engine in a day or two than try work out how im going to get the hull off the trailer and roll it

I may run a tie down from one gunnel under the hull and up the other side to the engine hoist than roll the hull

I am actually thinking of doing 2k spray job in white
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Guys do any of you have experience with A frames as in lifting capabilities? I found a very cheap engine hoist but wondering if the A frame lift would be better, say if i used all 7mm or 8mm angle iron as pictured would it support my hull no engine, to lift it while i pull the trailer out?
    Is that a backyard children's swing set?

I reckon you should just put the hull on a couple of old tyres, support the sides with some wood lying around. Pull the trailer from under the boat by driving it forward with your car and tying the rear of the boat to a tree or something. When the boat falls off the trailer, it falls onto the old tyres. Might take a bit of time but I would have thought well achievable.

Yep, that's how it's done, taken dozens of boats off trailers, it's quite easy really.

I have kids both sides of me so i may just go 2k rolled or gelcoat brushed undecided yet

I cant really have old tyres laying around the council doesnt collect them and the tip wants $50 each tyre to dispose of them

The plan was to try move the old trailer to where the alloy trailer is than use the engine hoist and a sleeper as a cradle and lift the transom and use my trolley jack under the front lift her up and roll the trailer out not sure if it'll work tho, no possible way of pulling the hull off with a tree unless i drop the hull off on the concrete driveway

Ok guys i'll follow your advice, i'll take the engine off today than i'll try tie the hull off to the plum tree at the end of my driveway andi will tow the trailer out from under it the plan will be to drop the hull off on a couple sheets of polystyrene

Depending on how far you are going to tip it, you might be able to leave the motor on, but it's all weight of course, you will be very surprised how easy it is. Is there any new houses being built around the area? Those big blocks of foam they use for concrete floors are ideal for boats to sit on.

I'll just take the engine off atm its only 4 bolts and the hydraulic steering ram, rolling the hull is on my mind as to how i will roll it the hull feels really heavy
    Yeah there is ahouse being built down the road but its almost finished so likely no foam

I waslooking at getting 50mm thick foam sheets one for the transom when the keel hits the ground and one up near the entry point

Been at it 3.5 hours what a job doing it alone i found it really hard to get the last 2 meters of the hull off the trailer, left arm was absolutly dead from the come along

I tied the hull off to the plum tree using the starboard rear side cleat and tiny 175kg b/s chain i had i than used a block and tackle along with a come a long

I have the front higher than the rear so if any water makes it in there it drains

Note: the transom has been lifted a further 50mm than pictured

Glad i installed those 2 wooden bunks on the old trailer my strakes came out perfect no hook or rise in the hull at all

That fence is in a bugger of a spot to roll the hull

Matt

Damn you got a dodgey way of doing things...

I would be keeping the dogs and small children well away from that shitshow..

Sure hope you have some tyres or something to wedge under the sides to make it a bit safer..

Yeah its just where it ended up i will use the come a long and pull it across to port

I need to start looking at paint as the paint will likely take a week to get here

What paint should i go with? I dont have a wet sander to sand gelcoat

This looks safe as. Nothing could possibly go wrong here.