Page 20 of 233 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Maybe also consider whether amine blush was an issue this can be removed with green scrubbing pads and water. Also I would be using no higher than 80 grit when sanding between coats

Thanks i will use 80 grit i just didn't want to remove to much of the thickness as its only .75mm

I just looked up what "Amine Blush" was and that was likely my problem, i had laid on the second layer of glass let it cure for around 20 hours than sanded it i recall the fibreglass being hard but not 100% cured before i sanded it it had been tack free but was still ever so slightly pliable does this mean i should allow 2 days cure between sanding Crooked? i thought the resin would have gone off ready to sand easily within 12 hours guess i am way off

before i order the new 400gsm cloth i will try this 900gsm cloth again thinking it were due to wax from the amine blush and not sticking

Here's the extent of my .... up it was due to the amine blush as it clogged my sander i guess i am learning and i can only learn from my mistakes, will be purchasing the smaller weight cloth this week

taking this route on the transom sure has put me behind time wise and i am missing out on all these sunny days i could be glassing repairing my screw up's

anyhow i am enjoying it even tho i almost have full gray hairs in my 30's i did plan 5 years for the project i was firing along for a while there just seems the going back over my mistakes is costly time wise

I had received my 400g cloth so today i set out to fix all my screw up's, i started by sanding one last small air pocket i than used a bucket with water and a sponge to wipe down the amine blush when i squeezed the sponge in the bucket the water went cloudy meaning i did have amine blush, i than got out the bosch orbital and slapped on some 60 grit paper gave her a whirl

Now i wiped her down with actone to clean the last layer of cloth i than laid on my first layer of 400g double bias cloth it took around 35mins to wet out than while it was still went i slapped another layer of cloth on and it worked brilliantly not one air pocket and no cloth sagging

Im going to allow this lot to cure a couple of days so its rock hard than i will repeat the above steps but i will try 3 layers

As it sits today i have 2 layers of 900g cloth, 2 layers of 400g cloth

Thanks heaps to everyone who is offering advice throughout this thead much appreciated

Took a few days off working on the boat than my old mother had a car accident and rode her car off so i have been her taxi of late and i can never get a day in to work on the boat however my mum bought a new car yesterday so i had this afternoon to get cranking

today i put on 3 layers of 400g cloth i think 3 layers is the max amount i personally can lay on at anyone time, the first layer took a lot of wetting out than the second layer literly stuck to the first layer beautifully than the third layer needed a bit of wetting out, i have no cloth left other than off cuts or 900g cloth gotta wait to order some more cloth

in a couple of days i will trim the outside of the transom cloth than i will focus on the inside tabbing as i can use my off cuts for the tabbing plus i need to get a bung in there ASAP in case my tarp collapses again it has been falling down of late in heavy winds

as the transom sits i have 7 layers of cloth in total, that is 2 layers of 900g cloth, 5 layers of 400g cloth all double bias fibreglass, in total the 7 layers should be around 4.3mm thick

as for my splashwell i am thinking about just installing new glass to bind the existing splashwell to the transom the splashwell material is only 4mm thick but yet undecided i may hack the old piece and reinstall it

will post pics of the transom trimmed in a couple of days

I gave the transom a trim today the resin is around 98% cure when i sanded away the outer edge some of the resin/cloth went chalky that's how i know its not 100% cured and rock solid however its enough to sand back

transom is looking good now i had a strait edge across the sides and bottoms my shallowest section is 4mm so i need another 8 layers of cloth before i can fair it

i need a bit of advice here i know many people are viewing this thread but i am not posting anything worth replying to at the moment i am about to fillet and tab the inside of the transom i have allowed a varying amount of sanded area for the glassing it ranges from 90-120mm would this be sufficient or would u suggest i go bigger? the book i downloaded will tell me but its an absolute jargon of codes and a ton of going back and forth pages to work it all out plus i am not good with maths and all the terminology i left high school in year 8 so that doesn't help

Here is how i am going to do my tabbing any objectives? 6 layers of brown, 6 layers of green will equal 6mm thickness in total and 12mm where the cloths overlap (bottom middle and side corners)

Have you seen this?
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks Chimo i forgot about that video i just re-watched it i have actually subscribed to there whole series of videos on Vimeo but i haven't watched any of there videos lately

he said double tab of 1708 that is just 17oz double bias with CSM, i would have thought 2 layers of tabbing would not be sufficient, i guess that is what i am going to do

i noticed they were not very picky about what they glassed to if u look at where they are tabbing along on the bottom of the hull some parts still have paint i have been extra anal about removing everything for the best possible bond

hey guys apologizes for my spelling from here on i just spilt kebab sauce on my laptop keyboard no longer working

yesterday i spent an hour sanding extending my tabbing on the hull to 6" or 150mm either side, tomorrow afternoons plan is to sand the inside layer of transom and prep the transom for filleting and tabbing i have not done tabbing before so it may be quiet messy to look at but im giving it a go

i just ordered another small roll of glass cloth and picked up some supplies for the transom, anyone have an opinion about using talc as fairing powder on the transom?

also trying to build a home made 3kw 4hp 176 litre air compressor to enable me to run a pneumatic inline sander for sanding the transom

I used talc when I did my boat, seems to be easy to mix and use, and is very strong.

Thanks Noel that's what i needed to hear i have 25kg of talc sitting in the shed i want to use and save a bit of cash

went to pick up the 25kg bag of talc off the work bench and the bottom of the bag was glued down oops its snowing lol, the filleting was really hard going i had to get in all awkward positions i thought i could fillet using the paint scraper but ended up using a technique i seen on youtube by filling a zip lock bag with glue and chopping the corner off and squeezing the glue out

by the time i got the gluing sorted i had just laid down one layer of cloth and than ran out of light this afternoon so called it a day

Does anyone know why i am getting air bubbles in my glassing? the air bubbles are appearing hours after the job is done i left this job last night and looked at it this afternoon i have a few air bubbles, it possibly can't be due to the amine blush i washed that off could it be because o my resin mixing technique? i have quiet a few air bubbles in my mixing cup once i mix in the hardener