Page 10 of 233 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Yeah that's a problem for me Noel to many ways of doing it and i have combined at lease 2 its done now so i need to construct a plan and stick to it, my transom skin is coming off its just to much to repair what i haven't shown is where something in between the outboard and the rotted transom has punched a big hole thru the transom skin than someone has fixed that section with a hell of a lot of glue mix i tried to pick it out and use a screw driver with a hammer its just that thick worked into the crack/holes i need to cut it out, when i do cut out the transom skin i know i will get a good bond skin to plywood because the lamination will be going directly over the plywood

plan of attack will be

*glue along the sides and bottom of hull
    *trowel glue over the inside of the transom skin whats left
    *place plywood into place
    *screw small screws thru the transom skin into the ply
    *fillet the inside of transom
    *glass and tab the inside of the transom
    let it all set

following morning

*remove screws
    *fill screw holes
    *lay a very tiny glue fillet around the outside of the transom skin and where it meets the ply
    *glass the outside to thickness

let set over night

*drill bung hole back fill with resin than redrill

await fairing and sanding

I just paid for a very decent boat building subscription its called Ship Shape TV there are previews on youtube and vimeo, they showed the full correct way of doing the transom in episode 19 video 26

Does the video match your planned method?

Its probably about a 15mins video but goes for 20-30mins with adds the guy goes right into detail on every aspect he tell's the cloth type the size and what orientation, he explains the whole laminating process and what goes where in order he also explains what layers of fibreglass go in first and for what reason

after seeing the video my transom was done exactly the same when i cut it all out, the bloke used the existing transom skin so i will just cut the mess out of mine

i plan on cutting away all these cracks pictured that go right thru the skin, right where the motor bolts on is a total mess of resin, glue mix and cloth just slapped on

Plan is to at lease cut all this garbage out as pictured outlined, here is the preview of the video i paid for

Picked up 6 meters of double bias cloth, 4.5 meters of CSM all though both shops didn't recommend it being used with epoxy, 25 litres of epoxy resin, some tools still need to pick up the plywood and mohair paint rollers

forgot i also grabbed 25kg of Industrial Talc Powder for filleting

i firstly called Dupont i think there name is and was quoted $400 for resin i drove there and they said it was resin only no hardener they wanted $600 for 24 litres resin/hardener so i drove to Newcastle and bought the resin from Trojan Fibreglass for $420 including the hardener

going to be a little tricky managing the resin the bloke at TF said the resin has new bottling no tap fitting and no pumpsAttachment 117132

Should be easy enough to pour the resin into a 4l ice cream container or something similar, it's a shame, but I gave away 3/4 of a roll of mat that I was keeping just in case I needed it one day, be careful with the rollers, some fall to bits when used with resin, the ones I used, even though quite cheap, had plastic centres that were good, have plenty of acetone on hand to wash your hands and so on, paint brushes and stuff, just toss them away, are you working outside?

You need one of these https://www.bennettfoamaustralia.com...ct/resin-taps/ and
    some of these to work your resin https://www.google.com/search?client...uWv8AhSvTSZcM:

Get an old kitchen scale from an op shop and weigh your resin into a bunch of ice cream containers.
    Add MEKP at 1% just as you need the next lot of resin.
    Use ice cream container once a day as they will be easy to clean the next day aft whats left has gone off.

I used to mix flocote at about 10 % with the resin so our jobs were coloured all the way thru so repairs to damage such as gun shots were relatively easy.

Good fun times back then.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Should be easy enough to pour the resin into a 4l ice cream container or something similar, it's a shame, but I gave away 3/4 of a roll of mat that I was keeping just in case I needed it one day, be careful with the rollers, some fall to bits when used with resin, the ones I used, even though quite cheap, had plastic centres that were good, have plenty of acetone on hand to wash your hands and so on, paint brushes and stuff, just toss them away, are you working outside?
    Yeah i cannot believe it i gave away half a roll of Double Bias 450 gsm cloth for free on Gumtree i thought i would have never used it again such a shame, the fibreglass roller, 6m DB, 4.5m CSM and Talc cost me $150 i bought this from Dupont

i will grab some acetone from Bunnings thanks, Yeah working outside in the open so plenty of ventilation plus i have a 3m particular and gas mask

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    You need one of these https://www.bennettfoamaustralia.com...ct/resin-taps/ and
    some of these to work your resin https://www.google.com/search?client...uWv8AhSvTSZcM:

Get an old kitchen scale from an op shop and weigh your resin into a bunch of ice cream containers.
    Add MEKP at 1% just as you need the next lot of resin.
    Use ice cream container once a day as they will be easy to clean the next day aft whats left has gone off.

I used to mix flocote at about 10 % with the resin so our jobs were coloured all the way thru so repairs to damage such as gun shots were relatively easy.

Good fun times back then.
    I'll see how i go pouring it i can't be to messy as i own 4 dogs so need to keep it away from them i might order a transfer pump from ebay i will see, i picked up on of those rollers today and I'm using 2 part epoxy resin i chose this over polyester resin for the durability and i didn''t want to mess with the MEKP

Might pay to maybe buy some of those cheap thin drop sheets, because I know from experience, that it doesn't matter how careful you are, resin is going to go everywhere, then you walk on the drops and spread it elsewhere, it's messy stuff to work with.

Yeah i might grab one of those Noel i need to keep the pets away from the back of the transom to when i do the skin section i am cutting out may have to tie the tarp down untill the resin cures

picked up some more supplies when i could, just need around 20 mixing cups, the plywood, coreflute for a transom template, drop sheet

price is slowly creeping up the boat plus supplies have cost me $1750 or there about's

double bias on the left or (top) chopped stran mat on the right or (bottom)
    Attachment 117145Attachment 117146Attachment 117147

How about looking on gumtree for one of those cheap shade gazebo things, putting it up as a roof, then put tarps or drop sheets around three sides to make a kind of garage, keep everything inside and out of the sun when working.

And eat lots of 2 and 4 lt tubs of ice cream too
    What could go wrong.......................

Noel i could get a gazebo but its more money i'd be spending and i think the dogs would walk strait under those curtains my dogs are not Pomeranian haha i have 3 American and English Staffies and a Boarder Collie who likes to sit next to me while im working outside

Chimo haha i was actually going to buy the 2/4L ice cream containers yesterday but when the bloke charged me for the cloth i thought i better pass, i called up before i drove in was quoted $1.2 per kilo of talc = 25kg/$30 a bag, the double bias was $10/kilo i bought 3.29kg thats $32.90 i picked up one small 50mm fibreglass roller and 4.5 meters of very cheap chopped strand mat and the price came to $150 i wasn't dare to ask how much for the ice cream containers after putting the resin back... lol hopefully i never visit that shop again