Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Surely at this point you would be both across the fact that Gazfish is a run and gun kind of operator. Of course he doesn't have a plan to get the surface ready to be finished and of course his time and money would have been better spent elsewhere. But that's just not how he operates. #### shit up and ask questions and ignore the answers later is the modus operandi

You do you Gaz. F the haters
    Matt
    Hey Matt 4 weeks of down time lost sitting around with my finger up my a.. no thanks while i have the motivation im going to continue to work

Plan is to grind back one side at a time give it a good sanding than fair it sand again smooth than move onto the other side and paint both sides when ready

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

The gelcoat is over 1mm thick on this hull its incredibly hard and almost impossible to sand with 60grit as i tried in my first video

And incredibly hard is good.

It would have been so much easier to grind out the cracks and refill with flowcoat where necessary, sand back using water and WET sanding paper, polish and forget. I think when CT said 60 hrs he was thinking of how long it would take him to repair that, I suspect he underestimated it for you. Just remember that adding Q cells you no longer have the density of the resin/flowcoat that you just stripped.

Surely at this point you would be both across the fact that Gazfish is a run and gun kind of operator. Of course he doesn't have a plan to get the surface ready to be finished and of course his time and money would have been better spent elsewhere. But that's just not how he operates. #### shit up and ask questions and ignore the answers later is the modus operandi

You do you Gaz. F the haters
    Matt
    Matt, I think he and my missus are related, she only hears the first 2 words I say before she's off doing her own thing.

Hey Matt 4 weeks of down time lost sitting around with my finger up my a.. no thanks while i have the motivation im going to continue to work

Plan is to grind back one side at a time give it a good sanding than fair it sand again smooth than move onto the other side and paint both sides when ready

Like I said you do you. What and how do you intend to paint it?

Matt

Dig i have posted pictures of the cracks before there has to be atlease 3 million cracks on the hull and that is probably underestimating it i too grabbed the dremel yesterday but reminded my srlf to go take a look thats when i put the dremel down

The cracks are about 10-15mm long and there are literally hundreds of thousands of cracks per square meter of hull

The grinding only took off the gelcoat and a tiny bit of undercoat and back to bare glass, the gelcoat was so cracked it wouldnt have had any strength in that coating

I will go back out now to show the cracks hopefully i can get a macro shot on my phone with a tape measureAttachment 121435Attachment 121436

Guys there are probably billions of cracks in the hull look at this picture they go the full depth of the gelcoat, again why not sand the gelcoat? I tried with 60grit on the orbital i done 1/3rd of a square meter in 2 hours! These cracks are right up borh sides of the hull about 12 square meters!

Attachment 121437

Gazza,
    there is a chance the new gel/flow coat will fill those hairline cracks. I reckon I would be spraying a small area and seeing if they fill. You only need to lightly sand back the gel coat so there is no longer any shine on it. Then your fine to spray. Generally it is sprayed on quiet thick so it does have the capacity to fill small cracks.

Hey Cox there is a guy on youtube who has the same problem he put a layrr of epoxy over the cracks than painted it

Just seemed to me like a really bodged idea

Hey Cox there is a guy on youtube who has the same problem he put a layrr of epoxy over the cracks than painted it

Just seemed to me like a really bodged idea

Yeah I agree. Better to go at it with a mini demo saw, then sand, then fair, then sand then paint....

Matt

Yeah I agree. Better to go at it with a mini demo saw, then sand, then fair, then sand then paint....

Matt
    Matt, I think you've got Gazza thinking that you agree with him

Gazza, you've created way too much work for yourself. I've watched some of those you tube videos and honestly a lot of them are pretty well useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    And incredibly hard is good.

It would have been so much easier to grind out the cracks and refill with flowcoat where necessary, sand back using water and WET sanding paper, polish and forget. I think when CT said 60 hrs he was thinking of how long it would take him to repair that, I suspect he underestimated it for you. Just remember that adding Q cells you no longer have the density of the resin/flowcoat that you just stripped.
    Dig's you said this earlier, did u see the pic i uploaded with the finger in the pic for size refference as to size of job times that by 11-12 square meters?

To grind out those cracks would literally take me the next 4 months seriously there are millions of cracks i thought it was better to just wipe the whole cracked layer off with the grinder rather than trying to save it

Im listening to you guys but nothing is clinking yet your all saying to save that cracked layer its just not making sense to me with the amount of cracks in the coating

I can grind it all off on a day, another day to sand the rough texture, another day to add fairing mix, a week or two to sand the fairing down with a long board

Shes ready to paint

a week or two to sand the fairing down with a long board
    This will be the longest two weeks of your life.

I personally think YouTube examples are more trouble than there're worth, you see a expert do a perfect job in a few minutes, then try it yourself and it's a disaster, a perfect example, a mate of mine asked me to take him Beach worming, I said it's pretty tricky, he told me he watched a video and it's simple, after about an hour of trying to catch one, I tried to show him how it's really done, on a beach, not a monitor.

Im not sure what to do than to me it just seems like one way of doing it and that is the long way with board sanding it i just cant find short cuts

The cracks are very fine but the number of cracks is enormous

If i were to fill the cracks with resin and or filler than sand a simple way i fear first outing the cracks will just show thru the expensive paint job