Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Change pads frequently, the last 7 mins of sanding was probably the equivalent of putting 2 new pads on. Gazza, don't skimp on pads otherwise you will just spend an unusual amount of time and not give a good result.

Hey Dig i think the pad is chalking up due to the multilayer resin (no wax resin) its not a hard surface to sand so its just smering the resin rather than sanding it to dust

Not sure how Scott sanded his resin like this i went thru 2 pads in 30mins on medium speed

I sprayed the pva release over the pod to lock the laminate away from the air so the laminate should be rock hard now and i can sand it properly

Few little divets here and there that are too deep to sand out but the majority is ready for finishcoat

Im going to compile a whole video from the beginning right thru the pod being bolted on and the swim platforms going on and finished
    Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Gazza, my hull has just hit 30 yrs old and the pads last about 5 mins. If you dry sand you will change pads every 5 mins, wet sand, go all day. It doesn't really matter if it is rock hard or not, it's the pad itself is not designed for it. Do yourself a favor and change pads as soon as they seem like it's taking an effort to achieve anything. Yes it will cost you more but save you a hell of a lot if labour.

Thanks Dig just thought the pads are not cheap at $2 each im done now i just washed off the pva mould release and the stickness and polyester smell is gone so now i just need a light sand with the 240 grit than wipe with acetone and shes ready for finishcoat next sunny day

Hey guys looks like rain for the next week can i put a small fan heater in the shed and lay the finishcoat on the pod? Or would i need a dehumidifier?

A bit late now but would have been much easier to give it a quick final coat of waxed resin before it cured when you made it, would have saved a lot of time and you use less sanding disks.

Ed yeah i knew the outside wasnt going to be perfect so it needed sanding but i never took into consideration the clogged sander when making the mould and laminating it

Im going backwards in this pod build i wasnt going to bog but there were a couple divets and quiet a few pin holes so today i picked up 1L of resin and i used qcells made what i thought was the right mix being my first time fairing i have nfc just wingin itAttachment 121405Attachment 121406Attachment 121407

Gazza, if you went back about 30 pages on this thread you might recall i said at the very least get some form board, make a mould, wax it around five times and you would have had minimal work. You decided that you had some ply and decided to use that instead, from memory it required quite a bit of hammering and levering to get your pod out. I'm finding it difficult to keep a straight face when you complain about a $2 disc pad. As I unmentioned earlier, slow down think about what you're doing, listen to some advice given freely, for which you've asked. You do have a habit of creating work and cost for yourself. I also have to do rework but I do put it down to my age, well maybe my meds or even the wine I drink, but certainly not yo the extent that you need to.

Hey Dig i do recall that advice given i cannot remember why i didnt go with form ply i only needed half a sheet i wasnt to worried about destroying the mould now i can say my pod is a one off never to be repeated haha

The form ply would have been ideal as its non stick surface i could have got it from bunnings too but ah well i always take the poormans long road

What i really should have done was fair my mould i just threw it together with no expactations a bit late after i popped the job out of the mould and it was a keeper bummer!

I checked on my fairing mix it already cured so i'll sand it tomorrow

Gazza, I'm currently replacing my hull liner, every 1 metre I cut with a very sharp blade, I replace it, it will still cut with effort but is a second rate job worth it. You are spending far more money on that pod by I reckon 40 - 50% and time wise probably 300%. I've been down that path,I know it well but found that if listen to advice given and take the time to think it through, I save money and time even though the initial cost might appear higher.

I actually took the idea forward with the process im taking now Dig but just got mixed up a bit with the laminating resin and waxed resin than i had to look up all the information as to using the gelcoat i had ordered than the order of finish coat etc..

Its a bit if chaos and spending on getting it right but im learning..

Found out where i went wrong with the welder the other day, i was on 20 cfh argon flow the bare minimum for mig aluminium that is why the wire kept burning back and it tighten the hole in the tip, in that wind i should have used 30 cfh

Everything was actually set up from those pics i showed of the nice weld the regulator was still on 30 cfh and my welder was on 14v 10m/m but while setting up i messed with the gas flow

Stay tuned i'll finish welding the aluminium tank in a few days

First time using propper fairing mix the qcell sanded so bloody easy when i faired my transom with talc that crap was incredibly hard to sand i was there for hours sanding

Im going to refair my transom when i do the sides of the hull i will be using qcell for that

Pod is faired and now waiting a sunny day to paint i noticed my finishcoat is only semi gloss i really wanted high gloss paint buggerAttachment 121414Attachment 121415Attachment 121416

Just buff it a few days after gaz it will go shiny

Thanks Cob i thought gel/finish coats were shiny