Thread: Prawns and muddies - Redland Bay

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Prawns and muddies - Redland Bay

Took a couple days off before Australia day as our fishing club was tasked with donating 15 live mud crabs to our local taverns for mud crab races (proceeds went to charities).
    On our way to put pots in on Tuesday arvo, had prawns showering everywhere just outside the ramp, had some jump into the boat so had a good idea of size. Decided not to take a net that arvo....
    Headed down the next day with the plan of checking pots and prawning. Managed 1 legal crab overnight and another 2 during the day.
    With 4 people but only myself throwing the net, we bought home 19kg of medium sized prawns. Plenty still hanging around the shallows but better size prawns were deeper. Went back out around 11pm to bring the pots home, scored another 2 legal muddies.
    Headed out the next day by myself with the same plan, dropped 4 pots in the water around 3:30pm, went down to the saltworks and got my 10L no problems, even helped another member from the club get his bag while he was there. Collected the pots and 2 more legal muddies and back at the ramp by 6:30pm.

The club managed to get 18 mud crabs for the day (there was 2 casualties) and the crab races were on. The winner at the tavern I attended was a decent buck that had no nippers, had the weight advantage I guess....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prawns 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	116702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prawns.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	116701
    Last edited by jackson4300; 30-01-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling